Climate change going on after net zero achieved
Gordon
2024-08-03 04:05:16 UTC
https://phys.org/news/2023-06-cooling-planet-doesnt-net-scientists.html

This is an interesting article from the viewpoint of the language/tone.

They may consessions that the climate is not totally understood and that
their modelling might not be right, or at least be within a wide range.

"Our climate system is complex, so the finding is expected and should not
deter climate policies, said Pat Keys, CSU assistant professor and one of
three authors on a new paper published in Environmental Research: Climate.

If anything, the results of the study provide a key piece of information
for how to understand our future, Keys said. "If things end up getting a
little hotter or it's the hottest thing we've seen in decades, that's not
a failure of the policy. It's just the way the climate system works."

"What if every climate policy in the world succeeded and we all suddenly
achieved net zero emissions?

The world would be the hottest it's been in human history, and could
still get hotter for a decade or more, even if the policies do exactly
as intended.

"This is not unexpected. The world is going to continue warming until
we turn our emissions down to zero," Keys said. "We need to systematically
understand, even with the most optimistic policy scenario, the potential
that we might still experience these substantially high temperatures."

Read we are not sure about much oh this.
Rich80105
2024-08-03 04:36:33 UTC
Post by Gordon
[...]
It does seem to make sense though. If you are speeding and try to slow
down, it will take time to get down to the speed limit, and if you do
it too quickly you risk being rammed from behind. We have pushed a
lot of particles into the atmosphere; it will take time for those to
disappear, and it will take time for us to return to a more normal
state - some of the man-made particles will take a long time to break
down, and there will be an unstable balance between the effects of
different activities and the state of our atmosphere.

Another article from that page is:
https://phys.org/news/2024-08-microbes-carbon-fluorine-bonds-unsaturated.html
- and this gives the possibility that mankind may be able to develop
ways of cleaning up some undesirable components in our atmosphere.

Closer to home, Christopher Luxon has indicated that the Government is
confident enough about meeting targets through future scientific
discoveries that they will relax some of the targets for emission
reductions from farming - there is obviously a risk that we will not
achieve that goal, especially as we have reduced support for
scientific research, but we will not know whether that is wise for
quite a few years - I am not aware of any current research that may be
close to being relevant to those issues.
Tony
2024-08-03 07:52:50 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Post by Gordon
[...]
There is no science in that paragraph, just amateur guesses.
Post by Rich80105
https://phys.org/news/2024-08-microbes-carbon-fluorine-bonds-unsaturated.html
- and this gives the possibility that mankind may be able to develop
ways of cleaning up some undesirable components in our atmosphere.
There is no reason to think that if we do that it will affect the climate in a
measurable way.
Post by Rich80105
Closer to home, Christopher Luxon has indicated that the Government is
confident enough about meeting targets through future scientific
discoveries that they will relax some of the targets for emission
reductions from farming - there is obviously a risk that we will not
achieve that goal, especially as we have reduced support for
scientific research, but we will not know whether that is wise for
quite a few years - I am not aware of any current research that may be
close to being relevant to those issues.
Political rhetoric - you can't hel yourself.