"conspiracies and false information"
Willy Nilly
2020-09-09 23:45:46 UTC
Yes, on the RadioNZ site there's an article about churches, avowedly
with links to the USA (hint hint must be Trump's fault), "spreading
conspiracies and false information about Covid-19". Okay, but what
are they saying, the curious reader wants to know. But it doesn't
say. We're left in the dark.

That's "journalism" nowadays, don't present both sides, instead
suppress one side completely and simply slander those who hold those
views -- whatever they are. I came away from that article none the
wiser -- and less inclined to read another.

Say, I've got my own viewpoint. It's not a "conspiracy" to think for
yourself, is it, and to tell others what you think? If I do, will
they blame Trump for that as well? No doubt. So here it is:

Covid-19 is just a new strain of the common cold (which is often a
coronavirus). Where do you suppose the previous strains came from?
Yeah, just like this.

Now think about the way our immune system works. When we're young we
catch all sorts of colds but the body is stong & agile and builds the
immunity to each strain in turn. By the time we're in our 30's we
don't catch colds any more because we've got immunity to them all. So
old people have the immunities already, but their bodies are no longer
strong & agile. That's no problem until a brand-new strain of the
common cold comes along -- which can then be a big problem.

So Covid-19 needs to run through the population, take its victims
which are basically old people not far from death anyway, and
afterwards it will take its place as just another strain of the common
cold which kids catch but everyone else is immune to.

So all this lockdown stuff is nuts. Do like Sweden, call off the
dogs, build up the herd immunity with a few victims along the way, and
job done. Note, by the way, that New Zealand's count of total deaths
this year is running behind last year's -- if that doesn't say "not
dangerous", then what does?

So there's my own view. Guaranteed not a "conspiracy". And as an
opinion, it's not "false information". I'm so good to you.
John Bowes
But, but, but it's trusted and honest journalism Willy :)
Crash
2020-09-10 01:02:35 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
[...]
Read this and understand:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12355353

So the situation in Sweden looks promising but the death count is
monumental - 5763 in a population of 10.1 million. They have a
strategy based on no lock down but similar other restrictions to us -
work from home, gathering sizes restricted etc. They are counting on
'herd immunity' being their sole defense, and the deaths and suffering
of those infected are the price to pay for businesses remaining open.

Personally I acknowledge the possibility that the lock down mentality
that we embraced and Sweden did not, may well work out in their
favour. However this is a gamble.
Post by Willy Nilly
Note, by the way, that New Zealand's count of total deaths
this year is running behind last year's -- if that doesn't say "not
dangerous", then what does?
Except you are wrong (up to June, so includes all but the most recent
stats):

https://www.stats.govt.nz/information-releases/births-and-deaths-year-ended-june-2020
Post by Willy Nilly
So there's my own view. Guaranteed not a "conspiracy". And as an
opinion, it's not "false information". I'm so good to you.
Except you did not cite anything to support your opinion. I have
proved that your death-rate information is incorrect and cited the
background data to prove my point.

Crash McBash
Willy Nilly
2020-09-10 01:46:07 UTC
Post by Crash
Post by Willy Nilly
Note, by the way, that New Zealand's count of total deaths
this year is running behind last year's -- if that doesn't say "not
dangerous", then what does?
Except you are wrong (up to June, so includes all but the most recent
https://www.stats.govt.nz/information-releases/births-and-deaths-year-ended-june-2020
Use the right dates at this website, set it from 01-Jan-2019 to today:
https://www.stats.govt.nz/experimental/covid-19-data-portal?tab=Health&category=Weekly%20deaths
... and you will see that 2020's deaths are trending below 2019s.
Post by Crash
I have proved that your death-rate information is incorrect and cited the background data to prove my point.
"Proof" needs a higher standard than what you did. Anyway, the topic
was a minor diversion from the main point of my post.
Crash
2020-09-10 05:38:50 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Crash
Post by Willy Nilly
Note, by the way, that New Zealand's count of total deaths
this year is running behind last year's -- if that doesn't say "not
dangerous", then what does?
Except you are wrong (up to June, so includes all but the most recent
https://www.stats.govt.nz/information-releases/births-and-deaths-year-ended-june-2020
https://www.stats.govt.nz/experimental/covid-19-data-portal?tab=Health&category=Weekly%20deaths
... and you will see that 2020's deaths are trending below 2019s.
No - I see a Manhattan graph which shows no obvious reduction. The
cite I gave includes this quote:

"For the year ended June 2020:

33,990 deaths were registered in New Zealand, an increase of 250 (0.7
percent) from the June 2019 year.
Of these, 33,810 were deaths of New Zealand residents, and 180 were
deaths of people visiting New Zealand (overseas residents).
The annual increase continues the gradual trend of more deaths. The
trend does not necessarily reflect increasing rates of death, but
reflects the growing New Zealand population and an ageing population
(more people in the older age groups, where most deaths occur, in both
absolute numbers and relative proportions)."

So for the year ended June 2020 (which includes the majority of the
COVID19 deaths) there was no decrease as you claimed.
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Crash
I have proved that your death-rate information is incorrect and cited the background data to prove my point.
"Proof" needs a higher standard than what you did. Anyway, the topic
was a minor diversion from the main point of my post.
Then what was the main point of your post?

Crash McBash
Willy Nilly
2020-09-10 07:47:32 UTC
Post by Crash
Post by Willy Nilly
https://www.stats.govt.nz/experimental/covid-19-data-portal?tab=Health&category=Weekly%20deaths
... and you will see that 2020's deaths are trending below 2019s.
No - I see a Manhattan graph which shows no obvious reduction.
Use the date selection facility below the graph.
I don't need to repeat it.
BR
2020-09-10 17:12:09 UTC
Post by Crash
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Crash
I have proved that your death-rate information is incorrect and cited the background data to prove my point.
"Proof" needs a higher standard than what you did. Anyway, the topic
was a minor diversion from the main point of my post.
Then what was the main point of your post?
--
Crash McBash
The threat posed by covid is an overblown fraud, just like climate
change.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Gordon
2020-09-10 07:28:06 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Crash
Post by Willy Nilly
Note, by the way, that New Zealand's count of total deaths
this year is running behind last year's -- if that doesn't say "not
dangerous", then what does?
Except you are wrong (up to June, so includes all but the most recent
https://www.stats.govt.nz/information-releases/births-and-deaths-year-ended-june-2020
https://www.stats.govt.nz/experimental/covid-19-data-portal?tab=Health&category=Weekly%20deaths
... and you will see that 2020's deaths are trending below 2019s.
What the lockdown did was stop/lessen the amount of flu virus from the
Northern Hemisphere so the flu season has been non typical.

Some flu seasons are worse than others and the rest homes residents do not
make it to spring.
Rich80105
2020-09-10 10:15:56 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
So there's my own view. Guaranteed not a "conspiracy". And as an
opinion, it's not "false information". I'm so good to you.
Except you did not cite anything to support your opinion. I have
proved that your death-rate information is incorrect and cited the
background data to prove my point.
To go back to the issue of "conspiracies and false information"
relating to Covid, which are being said to have contributed to recent
postive covid tests in the church cluster in Auckand, it seems it has
been going for some time - here are a couple of articles:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1293390630945615873

and
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/300097971/a-facebook-election-fought-on-feelings-not-facts

It is sad when some put partisan politics ahead of lives . . .
Willy Nilly
2020-09-10 21:21:51 UTC
Post by Rich80105
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/300097971/a-facebook-election-fought-on-feelings-not-facts
Thanks for the interesting information, Rich, although I doubt that
the church-related "conspiracy" thinking was along those lines. But
it's so easy to disabuse the notion of a government conspiracy by
using the well-known saying "Never attribute to malice that which can
be adequately explained by incompetence". Labour has a bottomless
pool of incompetence to draw from, a prominent example of which was:

Remember the 100 days? No positive Covid test results, not even on
incoming flights. Then 2 ladies were let out of Auckland quarantine
to drive to Wellington to take their 10th-day Covid test there -- BANG
-- positive tests. Everybody panics, the Auckland testing centres get
a rack-up and suddenly start producing positive Covid test results on
incoming flights. Some VERY OBVIOUS facts became clear by this:

(1) Auckland's testing had been totally dysfunctional, they'd been
getting only negative results including for lots of Covid-positive
cases. This is clear because it was Wellington that found the first
positives and they came from Auckland, and within days Auckland
started getting positives on incoming flights whereas not before.
This was no coincidence, the Auckland testing regime had had zero
effectiveness. In spite of how obvious this was, the media naturally
failed to point it out. Were the media just incompetent or did they
hush it up? Rule says it was incompetence, but surely somebody would
have explained this to the media?

(2) The incompetence is bedded in -- even if you show them how to do
it right, they'll lapse back into doing it wrong because that's human
nature. So their testing is still low-quality today. Mind you, the
Covid tests are known to have a 10-15% error rate. So even with
perfectly trained people you're going to have a problem.

(3) Human nature is ignored by all these quarantine restrictions.
Some people just won't abide by those rules. An extreme example
happened yesterday on the Greek island of Lesbos, where Covid-positive
"refugees" set fire to the quarantine facility because they didn't
want to be isolated -- the whole facility burned down -- now the
Greeks are wondering what to do with the thousands of "refugees"
roaming the island when the obvious and only solution is to
immediately ship them back to Turkey. Turkey, by the way, is a
hostile country actively working against Europe and Egypt. The
"refugee" protocols do not work when dealing with invaders disguised
as refugees.

So my overall point is that the quarantine system fails because too
many people fail to enforce it or comply with it. I'm not saying it
should be tightened up, but that it can't be. It's not a practical
system in the end. You can't escape the air you breathe and the water
that you drink. Live with Covid and it will pass, as I outlined in my
first post. It will come in anyway, yield to reality fer Chrissake,
and throw away the pointless facemasks. How I hate seeing people I
love, acting & looking like total bozos wearing those stupid masks.
Rich80105
2020-09-10 21:50:50 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Rich80105
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/300097971/a-facebook-election-fought-on-feelings-not-facts
Thanks for the interesting information, Rich, although I doubt that
the church-related "conspiracy" thinking was along those lines. But
it's so easy to disabuse the notion of a government conspiracy by
using the well-known saying "Never attribute to malice that which can
be adequately explained by incompetence". Labour has a bottomless
Remember the 100 days? No positive Covid test results, not even on
incoming flights. Then 2 ladies were let out of Auckland quarantine
to drive to Wellington to take their 10th-day Covid test there -- BANG
-- positive tests. Everybody panics, the Auckland testing centres get
a rack-up and suddenly start producing positive Covid test results on
The dates don; match, Willy - the two ladies were nowhere near
Willy Nilly
2020-09-10 22:49:19 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Post by Willy Nilly
Remember the 100 days? No positive Covid test results, not even on
incoming flights. Then 2 ladies were let out of Auckland quarantine
to drive to Wellington to take their 10th-day Covid test there -- BANG
-- positive tests. Everybody panics, the Auckland testing centres get
a rack-up and suddenly start producing positive Covid test results on
The dates don; match, Willy - the two ladies were nowhere near
Americold or this outbreak.
OK, refresher, the 2 ladies got their positive test on 16th June,
after 24 days of no new Covid cases at all, community or border. That
would be 45 days into the 100 days of no community transmission. The
Americold-related outbreak was announced on 11 August, on the 102nd
day of no (official) community transmission. I did confuse my dates
but it has no bearing on my point about the competence of the Auckland
testing authorities.

Thanks for the correction, Rich, events & dates do get jumbled after a
time...
Rich80105
2020-09-10 23:56:46 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Rich80105
Post by Willy Nilly
[...]
No problem, Willy, but even innocent mistakes get believed by
conspiracy theorists. The source of the Americold outbreak (of which
the Mt Roskill church group is a branch) has not been found; but that
has not stopped all sorts of crazy theories.

Willy Nilly
2020-09-10 02:32:04 UTC
Just looking on the Stuff site, first story is an extension of the RNZ
story: "Misinformation about Covid-19 'could block move to level 1' ".
Like RNZ, Stuff doesn't tell us what the "misinformation" is, but goes
further -- it threatens us with staying in Level 2 if we are so bold
as to think impure thoughts about what is right/wrong information.
Whatever this "misinformation" is, it must be powerful stuff.

Another headline is: "Labour promises 100% renewable energy by 2030".
This is astonishing claptrap, just check California's rolling
blackouts and their panicky re-openings of gas-fired power plants, to
see the truth. Renewables *cannot* be 100% of energy, although
hydropower is certainly excellent -- don't get me wrong -- so why
aren't they building any more of it? Wind power and solar power are a
total joke.

Also, who has not noticed the media slant on Labour's increase of the
tax ceiling to 39%? The media cries "Is it enough?" and "Shouldn't
more than 2% of taxpayers be charged that?" and "Collins keeps casting
doubt" or "raises fears" about the increase. By indications, the
media won't be happy until we are all taxed 100% of our income.

Yes, I'll try to stop reading the drivel and recycling it here...
Rich80105
2020-09-10 03:06:51 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Just looking on the Stuff site, first story is an extension of the RNZ
story: "Misinformation about Covid-19 'could block move to level 1' ".
Like RNZ, Stuff doesn't tell us what the "misinformation" is, but goes
further -- it threatens us with staying in Level 2 if we are so bold
as to think impure thoughts about what is right/wrong information.
Whatever this "misinformation" is, it must be powerful stuff.
There was a suggestion that some in contact with the cluster had not
disclosed all contacts that they knew of - leading to a school having
to be closed, and additional positive tests from people now known to
have been connected to the cluster. Organised campaigns have been
mentioned that seek to confuse, from some far right groups and some
policial leaders with religious connections. Conspiracy theories do
not need much real argument - we see such attempts at disinformation
in nz.general on other issues from time to time, but I don;t know the
specifics in this case.
Post by Willy Nilly
Another headline is: "Labour promises 100% renewable energy by 2030".
This is astonishing claptrap, just check California's rolling
blackouts and their panicky re-openings of gas-fired power plants, to
see the truth. Renewables *cannot* be 100% of energy, although
hydropower is certainly excellent -- don't get me wrong -- so why
aren't they building any more of it? Wind power and solar power are a
total joke.
Does California have the abiolity to generate as much electricity per
head of population as NZ can through water, wind and solar? Solar is
getting close to providing at least a positive rate of return in some
circumstances, wind can be better in carefully selected locations.
Tidal power has had some work but not as yet a trial plant. Manapouri
may be able to provide for quite a lot of the South Island if the
smelter closes . . .
Gordon
2020-09-10 07:22:44 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Post by Willy Nilly
Another headline is: "Labour promises 100% renewable energy by 2030".
This is astonishing claptrap, just check California's rolling
blackouts and their panicky re-openings of gas-fired power plants, to
see the truth. Renewables *cannot* be 100% of energy, although
hydropower is certainly excellent -- don't get me wrong -- so why
aren't they building any more of it? Wind power and solar power are a
total joke.
Does California have the abiolity to generate as much electricity per
head of population as NZ can through water, wind and solar?
We tend to forget that New Zealand is one heck of a windy place, it sits in
the roaring forties.
Gordon
2020-09-10 07:17:01 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Just looking on the Stuff site, first story is an extension of the RNZ
story: "Misinformation about Covid-19 'could block move to level 1' ".
Like RNZ, Stuff doesn't tell us what the "misinformation" is, but goes
further -- it threatens us with staying in Level 2 if we are so bold
as to think impure thoughts about what is right/wrong information.
Whatever this "misinformation" is, it must be powerful stuff.
This is a softening up for next Mondays announcement that we have to stay on
the existing levels for another week (or two).
Post by Willy Nilly
Another headline is: "Labour promises 100% renewable energy by 2030".
This is astonishing claptrap,
Did you read the article. The headline is pure False. It is electricty
generation which is going to be 100% green in ten years. Ha!

Post by Willy Nilly
blackouts and their panicky re-openings of gas-fired power plants, to
see the truth. Renewables *cannot* be 100% of energy, although
hydropower is certainly excellent -- don't get me wrong -- so why
aren't they building any more of it? Wind power and solar power are a
total joke.
Why? the technology works, as does wave power. Solar power is going to
arrive on the house roof, not from the generation station.

If solar power is a joke, then all life on this planet would not exist.
Post by Willy Nilly
Also, who has not noticed the media slant on Labour's increase of the
tax ceiling to 39%? The media cries "Is it enough?" and "Shouldn't
more than 2% of taxpayers be charged that?" and "Collins keeps casting
doubt" or "raises fears" about the increase. By indications, the
media won't be happy until we are all taxed 100% of our income.
Really, the media is well the media. Chill out over this sort of crap. They
need readers after all.
Willy Nilly
2020-09-10 08:01:13 UTC
Post by Gordon
Wind power and solar power are a total joke.
Why? the technology works, as does wave power. Solar power is going to
arrive on the house roof, not from the generation station.
Wind power is far too expensive and those windmills exist only because
they are almost 100% government subsidised. There are large solar
power projects in deserts which all go bust, and then they build more.
Post by Gordon
If solar power is a joke, then all life on this planet would not exist.
Do try to stay on topic.
Post by Gordon
Really, the media is well the media. Chill out over this sort of crap. They
need readers after all.
They pretend to be fair and "trusted". They are the fake news that
they accuse others of. Always call them out as the phonies they are.
George
2020-09-10 20:07:02 UTC
Post by Gordon
Really, the media is well the media. Chill out over this sort of
crap. They need readers after all.
They pretend to be fair and "trusted". They are the fake news that
they accuse others of. Always call them out as the phonies they are.
The only way we'll have 100% 'green' power is if we dam more rivers and
flood Manoupori
Rich80105
How will that give us 100% Green Power, George?
John Bowes
2020-09-10 22:16:11 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Gordon
Wind power and solar power are a total joke.
Why? the technology works, as does wave power. Solar power is going to
arrive on the house roof, not from the generation station.
Wind power is far too expensive and those windmills exist only because
they are almost 100% government subsidised. There are large solar
power projects in deserts which all go bust, and then they build more.
The turbines and blades also don't last forever ad the blades are only usable as landfill. They're causing problems already in USA and Holland1
George
2020-09-10 20:05:35 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Also, who has not noticed the media slant on Labour's increase of
the tax ceiling to 39%? The media cries "Is it enough?" and
"Shouldn't more than 2% of taxpayers be charged that?" and "Collins
keeps casting doubt" or "raises fears" about the increase. By
indications, the media won't be happy until we are all taxed 100%
of our income.
Really, the media is well the media. Chill out over this sort of
crap. They need readers after all.
Fake news is screaming that they are the correct source of all
information and all else is fake news....

And in the meantime their circulation/s go through the floor