NatActIrst Being Tough On Crime: Set Up A Ministerial Advisory Group
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-07-11 06:46:45 UTC
With all their campaign promises about doing something decisive about
crime pretty smartly, what have they just announced? A ministerial
advisory group which might come up with some ideas in maybe a few weeks.
Run a flag up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes, is a phrase that
comes to mind. Maybe one of those brainstorming sessions where there are
“no stupid ideas”.

And then maybe some months more after that to work on new laws or
something.

So how’s the “boot camp” idea going? Not having second thoughts about
subjecting the young toughs to a “dose of discipline that’ll do ’em good”,
are they?
Tony
2024-07-11 07:02:11 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
With all their campaign promises about doing something decisive about
crime pretty smartly, what have they just announced? A ministerial
advisory group which might come up with some ideas in maybe a few weeks.
Run a flag up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes, is a phrase that
comes to mind. Maybe one of those brainstorming sessions where there are
“no stupid ideas”.
More than the last lot did.
The man leading the enquiry is the outspolken vocal spokesperson that has been
representing some of the victims for a long time. Clearly he is more qualified
for the task than you are. Your sole expertise being a left wing loser.
are they?
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-07-11 07:12:56 UTC
Post by Tony
The man leading the enquiry is the outspolken vocal spokesperson that
has been representing some of the victims for a long time.
Also a good way of putting the blame on him if his ideas don’t pan out,
don’t you think?
Tony
2024-07-11 07:30:18 UTC
Post by Tony
The man leading the enquiry is the outspolken vocal spokesperson that
has been representing some of the victims for a long time.
Also a good way of putting the blame on him if his ideas don’t pan out,
don’t you think?
No I don't think like that. I am in no doubt that you do though. How sad your
life must be.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-07-11 07:49:47 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Tony
The man leading the enquiry is the outspolken vocal spokesperson that
has been representing some of the victims for a long time.
Also a good way of putting the blame on him if his ideas don’t pan out,
don’t you think?
No I don't think like that.
Wonder what happened to their own party ideas, that they were not shy to
tout in the lead-up to the election?
Tony
Who are "they" and what ideas have "they" not followed? Do tell.
BR
2024-07-11 17:07:14 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 06:46:45 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
With all their campaign promises about doing something decisive about
crime pretty smartly, what have they just announced? A ministerial
advisory group which might come up with some ideas in maybe a few weeks.
Run a flag up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes, is a phrase that
comes to mind. Maybe one of those brainstorming sessions where there are
“no stupid ideas”.
And then maybe some months more after that to work on new laws or
something.
So how’s the “boot camp” idea going? Not having second thoughts about
subjecting the young toughs to a “dose of discipline that’ll do ’em good”,
are they?
The crime problem would have to be one of the the easiest to fix.

Anyone found guilty of a serious crime should experience a punishment
so unpleasant that they would never dare to ever risk a repeat of the
experience. Administration of such a punishment need not be expensive.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
Could you give an example, Bill?
BR
2024-07-12 06:25:59 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
[...]
Have you no imagination?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-07-12 06:53:59 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
Could you give an example, Bill?
Have you no imagination?
That’s a “no”, then.

Remember, the one trying to prove the point is the one that’s supposed to
provide the proof.
Tony
And what point is that?
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-07-12 07:46:21 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
Could you give an example, Bill?
Have you no imagination?
That’s a “no”, then.
Remember, the one trying to prove the point is the one that’s supposed
to provide the proof.
And what point is that?
There you go: somebody else who doesn’t get it. And I thought you two were
on the same side?
Tony
2024-07-12 09:09:29 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
Could you give an example, Bill?
Have you no imagination?
That’s a “no”, then.
Remember, the one trying to prove the point is the one that’s supposed
to provide the proof.
And what point is that?
There you go: somebody else who doesn’t get it. And I thought you two were
on the same side?
Ah there you are, the real you. Believing there actually are sides.
Only losers take sides, the rest of us understand that we are all on the same
side - ergo no sides exist.
I hope that little bit of philosophy doesn't tax your mind too much but I am
afraid it might.
Good luck.
Rich80105
2024-07-12 11:00:04 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 09:09:29 -0000 (UTC), Tony
Post by Tony
Post by Tony
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
Could you give an example, Bill?
Have you no imagination?
That’s a “noâ€?, then.
No sides, no points, just a question to Bill.
Tony
2024-07-12 21:19:37 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Tony
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
You are all over the place, if you really insist on making yourself look stupid
perhaps you could answer in context.
BR
2024-07-12 18:03:51 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:53:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
Could you give an example, Bill?
Have you no imagination?
That’s a “no”, then.
Remember, the one trying to prove the point is the one that’s supposed to
provide the proof.
Here's one way, and it's very simple.

Those found guilty of a serious crime could be stripped naked and
strapped onto an A frame. Then a strong and physically fit man could
beat him on the bare arse with a big stick, the number of repetitions
to be determined by the court.

Quick, cheap and effective.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Does it work?
BR
2024-07-13 06:07:37 UTC
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 23:20:39 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:53:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Those found guilty of a serious crime could be stripped naked and
strapped onto an A frame. Then a strong and physically fit man could
beat him on the bare arse with a big stick, the number of repetitions to
be determined by the court.
Quick, cheap and effective.
Does it work?
What do you think?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
2024-07-13 08:24:47 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:53:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Those found guilty of a serious crime could be stripped naked and
strapped onto an A frame. Then a strong and physically fit man could
beat him on the bare arse with a big stick, the number of repetitions to
be determined by the court.
Quick, cheap and effective.
Does it work?
What do you think?
Bill.
You set the criteria, Bill:
"Anyone found guilty of a serious crime should experience a punishment
so unpleasant that they would never dare to ever risk a repeat of the
experience. Administration of such a punishment need not be
expensive."

Do you think it fits that criteria?

Or would you prefer a cheaper permanent solution being a bullet?
Tony
2024-07-13 09:16:36 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:53:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Those found guilty of a serious crime could be stripped naked and
strapped onto an A frame. Then a strong and physically fit man could
beat him on the bare arse with a big stick, the number of repetitions to
be determined by the court.
Quick, cheap and effective.
Does it work?
What do you think?
Bill.
"Anyone found guilty of a serious crime should experience a punishment
so unpleasant that they would never dare to ever risk a repeat of the
experience. Administration of such a punishment need not be
expensive."
Do you think it fits that criteria?
Or would you prefer a cheaper permanent solution being a bullet?
Or would you just for one moment try to understand what Bill is saying, so far
it has gone whoosh right over your sadly deficient head.
BR
2024-07-13 18:01:36 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:53:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Those found guilty of a serious crime could be stripped naked and
strapped onto an A frame. Then a strong and physically fit man could
beat him on the bare arse with a big stick, the number of repetitions to
be determined by the court.
Quick, cheap and effective.
Does it work?
What do you think?
Bill.
"Anyone found guilty of a serious crime should experience a punishment
so unpleasant that they would never dare to ever risk a repeat of the
experience. Administration of such a punishment need not be
expensive."
Do you think it fits that criteria?
Or would you prefer a cheaper permanent solution being a bullet?
There are some cases where a bullet would be justified.

Do you think Brenton Tarrant deserves a bullet?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
2024-07-13 23:34:05 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
[...]
I do not believe in the death penalty, but I am aware that some do. I
am also in favour of effective punishment and rehabilitation where
possible - and that does require quite a bit of work and
understanding, but we know that some countries that follow that path
have lower crime rates than those that follow the criteria set out by
BR, and consequentially lower costs. For those with Christian beliefs,
read Romans 12:19-21; Deuteronomy 32:35. Or alternatively do not
vote for idiots that wish to impose their own "reckons" without
seeking or listening to impartial expert advice.
Tony
2024-07-13 23:44:03 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Post by BR
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
[...]
Indeed, thank goodness that we did not do that at the last election, the one
before that however was an absoluite betrayal of common sense. Thanks for
raising that.
BR
2024-07-16 16:56:07 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Post by BR
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
[...]
The question was not "Do you believe in the death penalty?" It was "Do
you think Brenton Tarrant deserves a bullet?"

If you think Tarrant doesn't deserve a bullet, just say so.
Post by Rich80105
I am also in favour of effective punishment and rehabilitation
Rehabilitation in and of itself is a waste of time and money. If the
consequences of committing a crime are severe enough, rehabilitation
will emerge out of that. Criminals need to fear the consequences of
their lawbreaking, otherwise they will just continue to laugh in the
face of all the patsy judges and social workers.
Post by Rich80105
where
possible - and that does require quite a bit of work and
understanding,
Even the stupidest of crooks understand pain, and that is the only
understanding that matters.
Post by Rich80105
but we know
Who's "we"? Who else do you claim to speak for?
Post by Rich80105
that some countries that follow that path
have lower crime rates than those that follow the criteria set out by
BR, and consequentially lower costs.
So why isn't it working here?
Post by Rich80105
For those with Christian beliefs,
read Romans 12:19-21; Deuteronomy 32:35. Or alternatively do not
vote for idiots that wish to impose their own "reckons" without
seeking or listening to impartial expert advice.
So where do you get your "impartial expert advice"?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
2024-07-16 19:25:49 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
that some countries that follow that path
have lower crime rates than those that follow the criteria set out by
BR, and consequentially lower costs.
So why isn't it working here?
Because we have not followed what those countries where it is working
have done.
Bill.
Tony
Bill.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-07-14 05:43:13 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:53:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Those found guilty of a serious crime could be stripped naked and
strapped onto an A frame. Then a strong and physically fit man could
beat him on the bare arse with a big stick, the number of repetitions to
be determined by the court.
Quick, cheap and effective.
Does it work?
What do you think?
That would be a “no”. Just call it “justice theatre”: sounds dramatic and
with just enough gratuitous violence to appeal to those with an
authoritarian streak (and who watch too many Hollywood movies), but
completely useless in practice.
BR
2024-07-16 16:55:24 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
On Fri, 12 Jul 2024 06:53:59 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Those found guilty of a serious crime could be stripped naked and
strapped onto an A frame. Then a strong and physically fit man could
beat him on the bare arse with a big stick, the number of repetitions
Post by BR
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by BR
be determined by the court.
Quick, cheap and effective.
Does it work?
What do you think?
You don't think it will work because it is justice theatre. That's
your argument?
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
sounds dramatic and
with just enough gratuitous violence to appeal to those with an
authoritarian streak
Define authoritarian.
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
(and who watch too many Hollywood movies), but
completely useless in practice.
The criminals don't believe that. How do you think criminal gangs keep
order in their own ranks? By using restorative justice or some other
equally idiotic nonsense? No, of course not. Any gang member who
snitches on his associates gets the crap kicked out of him. Even those
possessing the very meanest of intelligence understand a beating.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
2024-07-16 19:24:07 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
(and who watch too many Hollywood movies), but
completely useless in practice.
The criminals don't believe that. How do you think criminal gangs keep
order in their own ranks? By using restorative justice or some other
equally idiotic nonsense? No, of course not. Any gang member who
snitches on his associates gets the crap kicked out of him. Even those
possessing the very meanest of intelligence understand a beating.
Bill.
So that is what you propose because you think the gangs are always
right - that's your argument?
Tony
Oh, you stupid man.
BR
2024-07-18 16:54:42 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
(and who watch too many Hollywood movies), but
completely useless in practice.
The criminals don't believe that. How do you think criminal gangs keep
order in their own ranks? By using restorative justice or some other
equally idiotic nonsense? No, of course not. Any gang member who
snitches on his associates gets the crap kicked out of him. Even those
possessing the very meanest of intelligence understand a beating.
Bill.
So that is what you propose because you think the gangs are always
right - that's your argument?
Did I say that?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com