User pays for ACC
Add Reply
Gordon
2024-10-08 22:29:27 UTC
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/530216/acc-levies-part-of-spectacularly-hard-time-for-electric-cars

Up until now the ACC on levey on EVs has been discounted. What was the logic
in that?

Why should the EV owners get a discounted levey? I know they act as if they
are entitled to a free EV and fuel for the life of the car. But adding this
in is just insult to injury. $9.8 million dollars over 3 years.

The are also moaning about having to pay more for the ACC. A whole $40/year
extra for a car which costs twice that of a ICE powered car.

Well done is getting things in order Minister.

Now if the EV lobby group considers this ACC rate to be too hight, just wait
for the howl as the Insurance companies start applying the rates to insure
an EV car. Remember the fire starting potential.

Then we have this to finish off with this

"Corson said EV owners had no problem paying their share, but the proposal
will leave them paying more, despite having typically newer and therefore
safer cars."

A newer cars safrter than old ones? Really? We have a WOF system to ensure
all cars on the roads are safe. It is the drivers who cause the accidents,
mechanical faults in older cars, which are the cause of the accidents are
very rare, about 5% from memory.

EVs on the other has have software which allows the car to accelerate
without the owners input, any time, etc.
Rich80105
2024-10-09 04:15:26 UTC
Post by Gordon
[...]
We will need to see the advice before we know the truth. Some is
deliberate Green-baiting, but some EVS are heavy and can cause road
damage more than lighter vehicles. We don't measure emissions which is
increasingly out of line with other countries. These appear to be
largely political rather than science based charges.