Valentines, Petone, Wellington
ofn01
2008-07-12 05:38:51 UTC
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.

Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Gordon
2008-07-12 05:41:36 UTC
Nope its gone. Or has it
Enkidu
2008-07-12 23:18:50 UTC
Post by Gordon
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Nope its gone. Or has it
No, Cobb and Co further along the beach closed. Then reopened under
another name.

Cheers,

Cliff
"I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.
~misfit~
2008-07-12 11:59:58 UTC
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
I have not been for 3 or 4 years it was so bad I wont go again...
That was exactly my experience last time I went to the Manukau Valentines a
couple years ago, it will certainly be the last time. I like good food but
am happy to fill up on average food. I left the Manukau Valentines feeling
hungry, the food was that bad.
--
Shaun.

Geopelia
2008-07-12 13:34:25 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
I have not been for 3 or 4 years it was so bad I wont go again...
That was exactly my experience last time I went to the Manukau Valentines
a couple years ago, it will certainly be the last time. I like good food
but am happy to fill up on average food. I left the Manukau Valentines
feeling hungry, the food was that bad.
--
Shaun.
We went to the Wairau Road Valentines, one Christmas. They stuck us on a
table right outside the bar, with people crashing in and out all evening. We
were right under a very cold air vent and nobody had a clue how to turn it
off. They had packed tables into any space they could find.
There was no Turkey (at Christmas!) and you could have soled your boots with
the Yorkshire pudding. Double the usual price, too.
Never again, and Hubby wrote and told them what he thought of them. I
suppose they thought by Christmas Day's evening people would be too full of
grog to notice.
It might be fine for a family with children at a large table, where having a
jolly kids' party is more important than the food, but if there are only two
of you avoid it like the plague.

Apparently they have individual franchises. Perhaps if there has been a
change of management they could have improved. But for Christmas now we go
to the Spencer on Byron, in Takapuna. More expensive, but it's only once a
year at Christmas. It's a great feed, and their people are so nice to us.

I find it surprising that Denny's is closed at Christmas. But now they seem
to be advertising as a children's restaurant like McDonalds we don't go
there any more. Sad, as their food is such good value for money

Geopelia
~misfit~
2008-07-12 23:57:02 UTC
Post by Geopelia
Post by ~misfit~
Post by ofn01
[...]
I'll never find out. Twice now I've been dissapointed with Valentines, with
the last time being the last time. They could well be franchises but, if
that's the case you'd think that they'd have to stick to a standard. I've
been dissaponted at two different locations.
Post by Geopelia
But for Christmas
now we go to the Spencer on Byron, in Takapuna. More expensive, but
it's only once a year at Christmas. It's a great feed, and their
people are so nice to us.
I find it surprising that Denny's is closed at Christmas. But now
they seem to be advertising as a children's restaurant like McDonalds
we don't go there any more. Sad, as their food is such good value for
money
Hmmm, going out for Christmas dinner. I must admit the only time I've
considered it I was thinking of the City Mission rather than a resturant.

On a side-note, I must say I like the Sam Hunt ads for Cobb and Co. Almost
enough to raid the piggy bank and go to one sometime.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

bugalugs
2008-07-13 03:10:08 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Geopelia
Post by ~misfit~
Post by ofn01
[...]
So ?? they had a standard !!!

It was crap. And they maintained it.
Geopelia
2008-07-13 03:27:52 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Geopelia
Post by Geopelia
But for Christmas
now we go to the Spencer on Byron, in Takapuna. More expensive, but
it's only once a year at Christmas. It's a great feed, and their
people are so nice to us.
I find it surprising that Denny's is closed at Christmas. But now
they seem to be advertising as a children's restaurant like McDonalds
we don't go there any more. Sad, as their food is such good value for
money
Hmmm, going out for Christmas dinner. I must admit the only time I've
considered it I was thinking of the City Mission rather than a resturant.
On a side-note, I must say I like the Sam Hunt ads for Cobb and Co. Almost
enough to raid the piggy bank and go to one sometime.
Cheers,
--
Shaun.
\

I used to cook a turkey with all the trimmings, but Hubby thinks with just
the two of us we should go out to dinner now.
The Spencer does a great Christmas buffet.

I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket. Those area great buy if you can find them. Just the breast and
the two stubs of the wings.
~misfit~
2008-07-13 03:41:05 UTC
[snip]
Post by Geopelia
Post by ~misfit~
Hmmm, going out for Christmas dinner. I must admit the only time I've
considered it I was thinking of the City Mission rather than a
resturant. On a side-note, I must say I like the Sam Hunt ads for Cobb
and Co.
Almost enough to raid the piggy bank and go to one sometime.
I used to cook a turkey with all the trimmings, but Hubby thinks with
just the two of us we should go out to dinner now.
Yeah. I'm single and all my family (except a step-brother with whom I've
never really 'connected') aren't in NZ. Although I'm always welcome at said
step-brother's place for a meal it feels 'forced' (maybe it's just me) so I
don't go there much.
Post by Geopelia
The Spencer does a great Christmas buffet.
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket. Those area great buy if you can find them. Just the
breast and the two stubs of the wings.
If I have the money I usually just get a chicken and have a roast which I
usually end up eating for a couple days. :-)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Miche
2008-07-13 04:31:26 UTC
Post by Geopelia
I used to cook a turkey with all the trimmings, but Hubby thinks with just
the two of us we should go out to dinner now.
The Spencer does a great Christmas buffet.
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket. Those area great buy if you can find them. Just the breast and
the two stubs of the wings.
Have a chat to your friendly neighbourhood butcher. If they don't have
them, I bet they can point you in the direction of someone who does.

Miche
Electricians do it in three phases
Geopelia
2008-07-13 12:54:07 UTC
Post by Miche
Post by Geopelia
I used to cook a turkey with all the trimmings, but Hubby thinks with just
the two of us we should go out to dinner now.
The Spencer does a great Christmas buffet.
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket. Those area great buy if you can find them. Just the breast and
the two stubs of the wings.
Have a chat to your friendly neighbourhood butcher. If they don't have
them, I bet they can point you in the direction of someone who does.
Miche
--
Unfortunately our friendly neighbourhood butchers in Mairangi Bay have been
closed down for some time.
A_ L _P
2008-07-13 23:43:37 UTC
Post by Geopelia
Post by Miche
Post by Geopelia
I used to cook a turkey with all the trimmings, but Hubby thinks with just
the two of us we should go out to dinner now.
The Spencer does a great Christmas buffet.
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket. Those area great buy if you can find them. Just the breast and
the two stubs of the wings.
Have a chat to your friendly neighbourhood butcher. If they don't have
them, I bet they can point you in the direction of someone who does.
Miche
--
Unfortunately our friendly neighbourhood butchers in Mairangi Bay have been
closed down for some time.
Miche and I live where there's a very good friendly neighbourhood
butcher. He gives away fat trimmings for the birds, you just have to
put a gold coin in the seeing-eye dog collection box. How's that for
excellent!

A L P
EMB
2008-07-14 11:26:00 UTC
Post by Geopelia
Unfortunately our friendly neighbourhood butchers in Mairangi Bay have been
closed down for some time.
Butcher Jack's in Glenfield Road is about the nearest decent butcher to
you that I know of.
Geopelia
2008-07-14 12:26:45 UTC
Post by EMB
Post by Geopelia
Unfortunately our friendly neighbourhood butchers in Mairangi Bay have
been closed down for some time.
Butcher Jack's in Glenfield Road is about the nearest decent butcher to
you that I know of.
Thanks, I'll try them if I am ever over that way.
But we don't eat much meat now.

We used to like John Stott's in the old Glenfield Mall. But he seems to have
disappeared, and we don't go there since they made it such a huge mall.
SupergoofNZ
2008-07-18 07:05:24 UTC
Post by Geopelia
Post by Miche
Post by Geopelia
I used to cook a turkey with all the trimmings, but Hubby thinks with just
the two of us we should go out to dinner now.
The Spencer does a great Christmas buffet.
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket. Those area great buy if you can find them. Just the breast and
the two stubs of the wings.
Have a chat to your friendly neighbourhood butcher. If they don't have
them, I bet they can point you in the direction of someone who does.
Miche
--
Unfortunately our friendly neighbourhood butchers in Mairangi Bay have been
closed down for some time.
I've found the Mad Butcher store very accommodating. The one nearest us
is open till 7 so we can go in on our way home from work, and they still
have a butcher working who was more than happy to carve up a piece of
beef into 2-inch thick steaks for us.

If you have one nearby it might be worth asking.

cheers
Rachel
SupergoofNZ
2008-07-18 07:03:33 UTC
Post by Geopelia
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket.
I can rest a dinner plate on my chest, is that a buffet breast?! ;o)

Rachel
Geopelia
2008-07-18 13:47:59 UTC
Post by SupergoofNZ
Post by Geopelia
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket.
I can rest a dinner plate on my chest, is that a buffet breast?! ;o)
Rachel
You must have a jolly good bra!

But the Hottentot Venus could rest things on her behind.
SupergoofNZ
2008-07-19 04:57:36 UTC
Post by Geopelia
Post by SupergoofNZ
Post by Geopelia
I haven't been able to find a buffe breast for a few years in the
supermarket.
I can rest a dinner plate on my chest, is that a buffet breast?! ;o)
Rachel
You must have a jolly good bra!
But the Hottentot Venus could rest things on her behind.
LOL

Can't claim to have a behind like Venus. I'm the only thing that rests
on my behind. :o)

Rachel

Bobs
2008-07-13 00:04:31 UTC
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Worst place ever. Plastic food, it always runs out, kids run wild, and
it's expensive for what you get.
~misfit~
2008-07-13 03:30:58 UTC
Post by Bobs
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Worst place ever. Plastic food, it always runs out, kids run wild,
and it's expensive for what you get.
What is plastic food?
Food that, whe you are chewing it, you wish you were chewing plastic
instead?

i.e. Tasteless.
--
Shaun.

Fred
What is plastic food?
Nicolaas Hawkins
2008-07-13 07:18:56 UTC
Post by Bobs
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Worst place ever. Plastic food, it always runs out, kids run wild, and
it's expensive for what you get.
What is plastic food?
I thought plastic food was a McDonalds specialty, to be eaten alongside a
public display of skanky boobs.
- Nic.
~misfit~
2008-07-13 10:46:08 UTC
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
Post by Bobs
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Worst place ever. Plastic food, it always runs out, kids run wild,
and it's expensive for what you get.
What is plastic food?
I thought plastic food was a McDonalds specialty, to be eaten
alongside a public display of skanky boobs.
Now you're making me hungry!
--
Shaun.

Nicolaas Hawkins
- Nic.
~misfit~
2008-07-14 00:30:12 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
Post by Bobs
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Worst place ever. Plastic food, it always runs out, kids run wild,
and it's expensive for what you get.
What is plastic food?
I thought plastic food was a McDonalds specialty, to be eaten
alongside a public display of skanky boobs.
Now you're making me hungry!
*EW!*
LOL, what can I say, sitting here eating my bowl of microwaved poridge
*again*. (True actually, it's lunch.)

Anyway, it was the skanky boobs thing that aroused my, ummmm, interest. <eg>
--
Shaun.

Nicolaas Hawkins
2008-07-14 00:43:50 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
Post by Bobs
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Worst place ever. Plastic food, it always runs out, kids run wild,
and it's expensive for what you get.
What is plastic food?
I thought plastic food was a McDonalds specialty, to be eaten
alongside a public display of skanky boobs.
Now you're making me hungry!
*EW!*
LOL, what can I say, sitting here eating my bowl of microwaved poridge
*again*. (True actually, it's lunch.)
Anyway, it was the skanky boobs thing that aroused my, ummmm, interest. <eg>
There's nothing wrong with microwaved porridge - it's hot and it's filling
... but it's not thick enough unless you can slice it.

As to the boobs, perhaps you should get Bobs' opinion.
- Nic.
~misfit~
2008-07-14 00:53:43 UTC
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
Post by ~misfit~
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:46:08 +1200, ~misfit~
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
Post by Bobs
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Worst place ever. Plastic food, it always runs out, kids run
wild, and it's expensive for what you get.
What is plastic food?
I thought plastic food was a McDonalds specialty, to be eaten
alongside a public display of skanky boobs.
Now you're making me hungry!
*EW!*
LOL, what can I say, sitting here eating my bowl of microwaved
poridge *again*. (True actually, it's lunch.)
Anyway, it was the skanky boobs thing that aroused my, ummmm,
interest. <eg>
There's nothing wrong with microwaved porridge - it's hot and it's
filling ... but it's not thick enough unless you can slice it.
I agree somewhat. However, I'm getting rather tired of it.
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
As to the boobs, perhaps you should get Bobs' opinion.
Difficult as he resides in my killfile along with several others.

Regards,
--
Shaun.

SupergoofNZ
2008-07-18 07:07:28 UTC
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
There's nothing wrong with microwaved porridge - it's hot and it's
filling ... but it's not thick enough unless you can slice it.
I agree somewhat. However, I'm getting rather tired of it.
That instant stuff is lovely - apple and cinnamon is my favourite, but
the apricot is lovely too. Nice for a change.

You could add your own extras like fruit & cinnamon for a bit of variety.

Rachel
EMB
2008-07-18 12:04:25 UTC
The servings are too small.
~misfit~
2008-07-18 12:50:08 UTC
Post by EMB
Post by SupergoofNZ
That instant stuff is lovely - apple and cinnamon is my favourite,
but the apricot is lovely too. Nice for a change.
The servings are too small.
I haven't tried it but I think they would be for me too. I have a double
serving of porridge (1 cup oats, 2 cups water, microwave ~5minutes) and that
gets me through to dinner.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

~misfit~
2008-07-18 12:48:14 UTC
Post by SupergoofNZ
Post by ~misfit~
Post by Nicolaas Hawkins
There's nothing wrong with microwaved porridge - it's hot and it's
filling ... but it's not thick enough unless you can slice it.
I agree somewhat. However, I'm getting rather tired of it.
That instant stuff is lovely - apple and cinnamon is my favourite, but
the apricot is lovely too. Nice for a change.
Too expensive for my budget.
Post by SupergoofNZ
You could add your own extras like fruit & cinnamon for a bit of variety.
Mmmm, I've done that a bit of late, whenever there's some fruit 'on
special'.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Arkwright
2008-07-12 07:19:55 UTC
I don't know about Petone but Valentines in Hamilton has certainly gone down
many points. Like you we went recently, first time after a couple of years,
and I don't think we will be going back.
Brian Dooley
2008-07-12 09:06:31 UTC
Post by Arkwright
I don't know about Petone
In the book - google them.

snip---
--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand
Kay Neich
2008-07-12 11:20:21 UTC
Post by Arkwright
I don't know about Petone but Valentines in Hamilton has certainly gone
down many points. Like you we went recently, first time after a couple of
years, and I don't think we will be going back.
Kinda what everyone used to say about that old Cobb & Co in Taupo.

"We'll never go back there"..

But we always did. Everyone did!

It's gone now.

1970s-80s era.
Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce
2008-07-13 05:58:58 UTC
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 23:20:21 +1200, "Kay Neich"
Post by Kay Neich
Post by Arkwright
I don't know about Petone but Valentines in Hamilton has certainly gone
down many points. Like you we went recently, first time after a couple of
years, and I don't think we will be going back.
Kinda what everyone used to say about that old Cobb & Co in Taupo.
"We'll never go back there"..
But we always did. Everyone did!
It's gone now.
1970s-80s era.
When did it go? Came through a couple of days ago and still expected
it to be there!
Taupo itself didn't appear busy at all, school hols and all that. And
the properties for sale were ....... worryingly numerous....
thing
2008-07-12 07:36:42 UTC
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
I have not been for 3 or 4 years it was so bad I wont go again...

regards

Thing
SupergoofNZ
2008-07-12 09:24:15 UTC
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Haven't been for ages, I usually try and avoid it like the plague. It
got really bad for a while but last time we were there it had improved a
bit.

But there are a lot of infinitely better places around the Hutt for
about the same price as Valentine's and I have yet to go away hungry
from any of them, so the 'bottomless portion' certainly isn't a good
enough reason to go to Valentine's.

Rachel
Pooh
2008-07-13 03:48:02 UTC
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
I went a couple of times last year with groups. The food was fine.

Pooh
ofn01
2008-07-13 10:20:36 UTC
Post by ofn01
We haven't been there in years - but used to go occasionally.
Has anyone been there recently - has it gone downhill?
Well we went today - Sunday lunch. It was fine, though I stuck to hot food &
desserts. Food was nice, service was good, though the plate taking could
have been a bit faster the girl doing it did a good job when she did come
around. Drinks were fine, no major queues despite a big party in progress.

I am happy to go back again for the same type of experience I had today.