Melting Moment Biscuit v Yo Yo Biscuit
cbw
2005-01-04 00:55:38 UTC
Is their a difference between the melting moment biscuit and the yo yo
biscuit ??
If so, what is the difference... and any rec ipes for them.
Thanks
TomV
2005-01-04 02:03:53 UTC
Post by cbw
Is their a difference between the melting moment biscuit and the yo yo
biscuit ??
If so, what is the difference... and any rec ipes for them.
Thanks
They're identical. Just diff names for same biscuit.

No recipe sorry

...tom
Karen Hayward-King
2005-01-04 07:38:07 UTC
Post by TomV
Post by cbw
Is their a difference between the melting moment biscuit and the yo yo
biscuit ??
If so, what is the difference... and any rec ipes for them.
Thanks
They're identical. Just diff names for same biscuit.
No, they are not identical...one has icing sugar and custard powder in
it...the other doesn't...

Karen Hayward-King
Col~
2005-01-04 02:13:41 UTC
Post by cbw
Is their a difference between the melting moment biscuit and the yo yo
biscuit ??
If so, what is the difference... and any rec ipes for them.
Thanks
Scrooge will be here to answer that after golf. Please stand by.
--
Col

Col's law.
Thinly sliced cabbage..
David Lloyd
2005-01-04 03:08:02 UTC
Post by cbw
Is their a difference between the melting moment biscuit and the yo yo
biscuit ??
If so, what is the difference... and any rec ipes for them.
Thank
200g butter (softened)
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 cup plain four
1 cup cornflour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
butter icing or raspberry jam

Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour,
cornflour and baking powder together. Mix into creamed mixture, mixing
well (don't overmix or will be tough). Roll dough into small balls
(table tennis ball size) and place on greased oven tray. Flatten
slightly with a floured fork. Bake at 180deg C for 20min or until
cooked. Cool and sandwich two biscuits together with butter icing or
raspberry jam.

BUTTER ICING

100g butter (softened)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups icing sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons hot water

Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Gradually beat in
icing sugar, beating until smooth. Add sufficient water to give
spreading consistency.

Enjoy!
Karen Hayward-King
2005-01-04 03:24:23 UTC
Post by cbw
Is their a difference between the melting moment biscuit and the yo yo
biscuit ??
If so, what is the difference... and any rec ipes for them.
Thanks
There is a difference between them.The main difference is one has
custard powder and icing sugar in it, the other does not. From my
trusty Edmonds Cookery Book....

Melting Moments

200g butter. softened
3/4 cup icing sugar
1 cup Edmonds plain baking flour
1 cup Edmonds Fielder's cornflour
1/2 tsp Edmonds baking powder
Butter icing or raspberry jam

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Sift flour,
cornflour and baking powder together. Mix into creamed mixture, mixing
well. Roll dough into small balls the size of large marbles and place
on a greased oven tray. Flatten slightly with a fork. bake at 180 C
for 20 minutes or until cooked. Cool and sandwich two biscuits
together with Butter icing or raspberry jam. Makes 16.

YoYos

175g butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
few drops vanilla essense
1 1/2 cups edmonds baking flour
1/4 cup Edmonds custard powder

Cream butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Add
vanilla. Mix sifted dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Roll
teaspoonsful of mixture into balls. Place on greased oven tray.
Flatten with a fork. Bake at 180 C for 15 - 20 minutes. When cold
sandwich together in twos with butter icing. makes 26.

Butter Icing

50g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons of custard powder.

Beat all ingredients together until well combined.

Karen Hayward-King
geopelia
2005-01-04 21:32:19 UTC
Post by Karen Hayward-King
Post by cbw
Is their a difference between the melting moment biscuit and the yo yo
biscuit ??
If so, what is the difference... and any rec ipes for them.
Thanks
There is a difference between them.The main difference is one has
custard powder and icing sugar in it, the other does not. From my
trusty Edmonds Cookery Book....
**
Post by Karen Hayward-King
YoYos
175g butter
1/4 cup icing sugar
few drops vanilla essense
1 1/2 cups edmonds baking flour
1/4 cup Edmonds custard powder
Cream butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. Add
vanilla. Mix sifted dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Roll
teaspoonsful of mixture into balls. Place on greased oven tray.
Flatten with a fork. Bake at 180 C for 15 - 20 minutes. When cold
sandwich together in twos with butter icing. makes 26.
Butter Icing
50g butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons of custard powder.
Beat all ingredients together until well combined.
Post by Karen Hayward-King
Karen Hayward-King
If you are reading this from outside New Zealand, remember our measures may
be different.

Cup = 250 ml
tablespoon - 15 ml level measure
Teaspoon = 5 ml " "

Geopelia
Tarla
2005-01-04 23:54:12 UTC
Post by geopelia
If you are reading this from outside New Zealand, remember our measures may
be different.
Cup = 250 ml
tablespoon - 15 ml level measure
Teaspoon = 5 ml " "
C'mon Geo, do you really use measuring tools? How long you been
cooking? I bet you're just like me, pour it into your hand and you
know almost exactly what a tsp, tbl, and even a cup look like. Level
measure indeed.
geopelia
2005-01-05 01:24:36 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by geopelia
If you are reading this from outside New Zealand, remember our measures may
be different.
Cup = 250 ml
tablespoon - 15 ml level measure
Teaspoon = 5 ml " "
C'mon Geo, do you really use measuring tools? How long you been
cooking? I bet you're just like me, pour it into your hand and you
know almost exactly what a tsp, tbl, and even a cup look like. Level
measure indeed.
If you are using a bread machine, you MUST get it exact. We gave our old
machine to a Cordon Blue cook who guessed, and dough escaped everywhere!

I use measuring cups and spoons when making cakes, pavlovas etc, but not for
soups, stews and most meat dishes.
It is very important with yeast or baking powder. There is a big difference
between level, rounded and heaped, too.
And I always look to see where a cookbook was published, to see what
measuring system they use. Often they will give a list.
(I've been married 40 years, and cooked for myself for a while before that.
I didn't learn cake making from my mother, as girls do today. With food
rationed, she just couldn't risk any beginner's mistakes! )

Geopelia
Ashley
2005-01-05 07:07:44 UTC
Post by geopelia
(I've been married 40 years, and cooked for myself for a while before that.
I didn't learn cake making from my mother, as girls do today.
Geo, you're a generation out of date!! *I* learned cake making from my
mother. If I had children, it is highly unlikely they would've learned it
from me (which is actually rather sad, as it's something I enjoy immensely,
and I used to make a killer sponge). Families today have two working
parents. Food is bought, on the whole, not made.
geopelia
2005-01-05 10:06:54 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by geopelia
(I've been married 40 years, and cooked for myself for a while before that.
I didn't learn cake making from my mother, as girls do today.
Geo, you're a generation out of date!! *I* learned cake making from my
mother. If I had children, it is highly unlikely they would've learned it
from me (which is actually rather sad, as it's something I enjoy immensely,
and I used to make a killer sponge). Families today have two working
parents. Food is bought, on the whole, not made.
Very sad isn't it that Women's Lib, which was supposed to free women, just
made the lives of most more difficult.
Ashley
2005-01-05 18:37:18 UTC
Post by geopelia
Very sad isn't it that Women's Lib, which was supposed to free women, just
made the lives of most more difficult.
I think that's a value judgement you might make, geo, that wouldn't
necessarily be supported by others. Certainly, life has become difficult in
*different* ways, but it's highly debatable that it's more difficult. Me,
I'd rather have the hassle of supporting myself than the hassle of having to
be financially dependent on a partner, even if I was more capable of earning
than my partner, or even if I had long since fallen out of love with my
partner and really no longer wanted to be in the house with him.

Bought cakes seem a small price to pay.
A L P
2005-01-05 21:02:30 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by geopelia
Very sad isn't it that Women's Lib, which was supposed to free women, just
made the lives of most more difficult.
I think that's a value judgement you might make, geo, that wouldn't
necessarily be supported by others. Certainly, life has become difficult in
*different* ways, but it's highly debatable that it's more difficult. Me,
I'd rather have the hassle of supporting myself than the hassle of having to
be financially dependent on a partner, even if I was more capable of earning
than my partner, or even if I had long since fallen out of love with my
partner and really no longer wanted to be in the house with him.
Bought cakes seem a small price to pay.
Single women supported themselves anyway so you wouldn't have had to be
dependent on anyone. The only thing wrong was the different pay rates
for men and women irrespective of family responsibilities. Taxation
went a small way to acknowledge the different obligations of a single
person and one with dependents [tax code S, M (married, supporting
spouse) and the the numbers of children e.g. M3] but it was iniquitous
that a single male and a single female in the same job received
different pay. Married women often worked but seldom *had* to work,
their work was in the family and the community. Work that is now paid
for, bought cakes being only one example, was done by the women,
including their own childcare.

This is a difficult one to argue because all too often the people
arguing for the superiority of the current system are the intelligent,
articulate women who have careers - interesting, stimulating, with
prospects for advance, etc etc. The married women who toil in low-paid
no-prospect McJobs are as trapped as the married women who had "long
since fallen out of love with my partner and really no longer wanted to
be in the house with him." Not only that but they generally have to
spend most of their time separated from their children and pay for
childcare. Housework is a bore, to most people. What's left of the
working person's domestic role is the uninspiring part - cleaning,
shopping as fast as possible, ditto food preparation. The part missing
is the creative aspect such as baking cakes, experimenting with new
recipes. dressmaking, knitting (never appealed to me because I'm too
slow, but others love it and find it creative as well as soothing),
running community organisations e.g. brownies & scouting, maintaining
friendships which meant that those who were getting stressed had friends
to unburden with. That social cohesion role has been whittled away by
time-poverty and I believe the community is less healthy as a result.

A L P
Tarla
2005-01-05 22:29:23 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Ashley
Post by geopelia
Very sad isn't it that Women's Lib, which was supposed to free women, just
made the lives of most more difficult.
I think that's a value judgement you might make, geo, that wouldn't
necessarily be supported by others. Certainly, life has become difficult in
*different* ways, but it's highly debatable that it's more difficult. Me,
I'd rather have the hassle of supporting myself than the hassle of having to
be financially dependent on a partner, even if I was more capable of earning
than my partner, or even if I had long since fallen out of love with my
partner and really no longer wanted to be in the house with him.
Bought cakes seem a small price to pay.
But we pay for it in more ways that just having to buy our cakes
instead of making them. Our children and communities pay as well, as
Agnes points out.
Post by A L P
[...]
I believe we've lost more than we gained. But I don't think it was
entirely in our hands. There were so many social changes occurring at
the same time that women started entering the workforce in greater
numbers, that it was hard to see what was having an effect on what.
The pill, the acceptablity of divorce, women's rights, more open
sexuality. It was such a huge upheaval that it's taken us a while to
realise what we threw out.

We lost our control over our neighborhoods, and our children. This is
the second generation of children to be attended to by strangers
instead of their own family. We will see the result of our folly
within twenty years.
Ashley
2005-01-06 06:17:04 UTC
Post by A L P
Single women supported themselves anyway so you wouldn't have had to be
dependent on anyone. The only thing wrong was the different pay rates for
men and women irrespective of family responsibilities.
Glad you mentioned that one, because otherwise I would've ;-)

But it's more than that, Agnes. Over the past 20 years I have felt
considerable pressure to find a mate and settle down. And this is in the
days of "women's lib". After I brought my first boyfriend home (and, come to
think of it, the only one I ever brought home!) my mother suddenly started
talking about weddings more than she had in the past. And my mother is a
pretty liberated woman. Before "women's lib" the pressure to find a husband,
settle down and marry must have been pretty friggin unbelievable.
Post by A L P
This is a difficult one to argue because all too often the people arguing
for the superiority of the current system are the intelligent, articulate
women who have careers - interesting, stimulating, with prospects for
advance, etc etc. The married women who toil in low-paid no-prospect
McJobs are as trapped as the married women who had "long since fallen out
[...]
Don't get me wrong, ALP. I fantasise about being a kept woman! And, you know
what? If I met the man of my dreams now and he was a middle to high earner ,
I bloody well would give up work, go back to university, study psychology
and economics and set the world on fire with my thinking, but not earn
another bloody cent until the book was published and became compulsory
reading for every Ec 101 student in the world! But I'd make that decision
from a position of financial independence - if it all turned to shit in 5
years, I would not be destitute and I wouldn't be facing a life of toil at
crap because I had depended on someone I loved who turned out not to mean
the "till death us do part" thing.

I've seen far too many women - and a few men, actually - left financially in
the shit and facing an extremely difficult future because they were prepared
to do the unpaid work while their spouse earned the income, then left. As a
matter of survival, I would strongly urge anyone I cared about not to follow
that route. Maintaining the ability to earn is, quite frankly, an essential
personal skill.
geopelia
2005-01-06 11:04:30 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by A L P
Single women supported themselves anyway so you wouldn't have had to be
dependent on anyone. The only thing wrong was the different pay rates for
men and women irrespective of family responsibilities.
Glad you mentioned that one, because otherwise I would've ;-)
Yes, equal pay and safe legal abortion were two rights that were well worth
fighting for.
Post by Ashley
But it's more than that, Agnes. Over the past 20 years I have felt
considerable pressure to find a mate and settle down. And this is in the
days of "women's lib". After I brought my first boyfriend home (and, come to
think of it, the only one I ever brought home!) my mother suddenly started
talking about weddings more than she had in the past. And my mother is a
pretty liberated woman. Before "women's lib" the pressure to find a husband,
settle down and marry must have been pretty friggin unbelievable.
It was! But we didn't have to succumb to the pressure. Marriage was expected
in the early twenties at latest. Otherwise one was "on the shelf". I came to
New Zealand at the age of 26, and it was assumed that I had come to look for
a husband before it was too late. Actually I had every intention of
remaining single for life, until I met my husband (also English) and married
at the "ancient" age of 34. I worked outside the home all my life. Remaining
childless by choice too was almost unheard of then. The pressure to have
children was unbelievable in those times. Living together before marriage, a
very sensible step, was scandalous in those days!
Post by Ashley
Post by A L P
[...]
Quite right. It is the everyday woman who has been so shortchanged by
women's lib.
Post by Ashley
[...]
That really is a trap. Another is for a woman to go out to work and support
the family while the man studies for a career, say, medicine. Then he leaves
her!

Geopelia
Tarla
2005-01-05 19:13:55 UTC
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:07:44 +1300, "Ashley"
Post by Ashley
Post by geopelia
(I've been married 40 years, and cooked for myself for a while before that.
I didn't learn cake making from my mother, as girls do today.
Geo, you're a generation out of date!! *I* learned cake making from my
mother. If I had children, it is highly unlikely they would've learned it
from me (which is actually rather sad, as it's something I enjoy immensely,
and I used to make a killer sponge). Families today have two working
parents. Food is bought, on the whole, not made.
And yet, some of us still teach our kids to cook. My son made a
beautiful looking batch of brownies last night. I can't eat any, but
they look fabulous.
TomV
2005-01-05 21:04:23 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by Ashley
Geo, you're a generation out of date!! *I* learned cake making from my
mother. If I had children, it is highly unlikely they would've learned it
from me (which is actually rather sad, as it's something I enjoy immensely,
and I used to make a killer sponge). Families today have two working
parents. Food is bought, on the whole, not made.
And yet, some of us still teach our kids to cook. My son made a
beautiful looking batch of brownies last night. I can't eat any, but
they look fabulous.
Made with that *special* ingredient?

j/k

If Kris had to stay home and look after the kids she'd go stark raving
mad in a week. The kids still get taught to cook by us, the cooking
just tends to be more meal focussed than baking.

...tom
Tarla
2005-01-05 22:32:12 UTC
Post by TomV
Post by Tarla
Post by Ashley
Geo, you're a generation out of date!! *I* learned cake making from my
mother. If I had children, it is highly unlikely they would've learned it
from me (which is actually rather sad, as it's something I enjoy immensely,
and I used to make a killer sponge). Families today have two working
parents. Food is bought, on the whole, not made.
And yet, some of us still teach our kids to cook. My son made a
beautiful looking batch of brownies last night. I can't eat any, but
they look fabulous.
Made with that *special* ingredient?
Nope. Just chocolate.
Post by TomV
j/k
If Kris had to stay home and look after the kids she'd go stark raving
mad in a week. The kids still get taught to cook by us, the cooking
just tends to be more meal focussed than baking.
Once the boys got into their teens, they had to prepare dinner for the
family once a week. The first few times were lessons in parental
patience as the timing was seriously out of whack, but it was
important to me as the mother of sons that they know how to cook for
themselves. I didn't want them choosing some woman because she would
take care of them, cook and do their laundry. I've told them both to
be with the woman that makes you feel good about yourself and makes
you laugh hard enough to pee your pants.
TomV
2005-01-05 23:02:15 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by TomV
If Kris had to stay home and look after the kids she'd go stark raving
mad in a week. The kids still get taught to cook by us, the cooking
just tends to be more meal focussed than baking.
Once the boys got into their teens, they had to prepare dinner for the
family once a week. The first few times were lessons in parental
patience as the timing was seriously out of whack, but it was
important to me as the mother of sons that they know how to cook for
themselves. I didn't want them choosing some woman because she would
take care of them, cook and do their laundry. I've told them both to
be with the woman that makes you feel good about yourself and makes
you laugh hard enough to pee your pants.
As long as she washes them for you?

I'm with you on this. I've known several boys still living at home in
their mid late 20's and mums still doing their washing. I felt sorry
for any partner they ended up with.

...tom
Tarla
2005-01-06 01:23:23 UTC
Post by TomV
Post by Tarla
Post by TomV
[...]
I knew when the oldest was about two, that I would be giving them up
to another woman if I did my job correctly. My goal from the get-go
was to turn out proper MEN, not good little boys. My oldest is now
just a little TOO independent for my liking, but I know his partner
will appreciate the fact that she's not hooked up to a Mama's Boy.
Miche
2005-01-06 05:49:47 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by geopelia
(I've been married 40 years, and cooked for myself for a while before that.
I didn't learn cake making from my mother, as girls do today.
Geo, you're a generation out of date!! *I* learned cake making from my
mother. If I had children, it is highly unlikely they would've learned it
from me (which is actually rather sad, as it's something I enjoy immensely,
and I used to make a killer sponge). Families today have two working
parents. Food is bought, on the whole, not made.
You're right, on the whole.

In our household there's a home-cooked meal every night (except the rare
occasions we have takeaways). One of the reasons for this is food
sensitivities, the other is that it's cheaper and healthier to make food
from scratch rather than eating out or buying ready-made.

Miche
WWMVD?
Ashley
2005-01-06 06:25:21 UTC
Post by Miche
You're right, on the whole.
In our household there's a home-cooked meal every night (except the rare
occasions we have takeaways). One of the reasons for this is food
sensitivities, the other is that it's cheaper and healthier to make food
from scratch rather than eating out or buying ready-made.
Every now and then I make a batch of muffins or a cake, and it's fun. I
really love it. But the difference between that and when I was a kid is
huge - my mother baked twice a week, there were always fresh biscuits/cakes
in the tins.

I also make most of my meals from scratch, but they're very simple meals -
meat and vege, basically. Sauces, on the whole, tend to be bought, but are
also simple - pasta sauces, salsas etc. Yes, I'd love getting more involved
in it if I had all day off to think about domestic things. But I can safely
say, I'm in the majority that doesn't.

It's a bit like sewing (which I'm useless at) - given the price of clothes
(not designer, the basic stuff courtesy of Glassons through to Max), why
bother sewing, unless you actually get some intrinsic pleasure from it? My
parents are staying with me this week and I was having a conversation with
my Mum about knitting, which is something I find very calming and
enjoyable - and am very good at - but haven't done for a while. I said to
her I'd quite like to get a knitting machine, mainly because it allows you
to do much finer work than hand-knitting does (unless you're extraordinarily
patient). Mum, who's a great knitter, said "Why bother?". And, financially,
she's right. The reason I want to bother is for the joy of creativity, but
it's certainly not financially a good move.
Miche
2005-01-06 06:49:51 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
[...]
I see your point, and I don't make my own clothes.

For me, with food, part of it is knowing what the hell is in it, and
having some control over fat/salt content etc. DH and I both have food
sensitivities so it also helps that we can avoid those foods with ease,
rather than having to read labels and guess. (My sensitivity is to
wheat, which is every bloody where.)
Post by Ashley
My
parents are staying with me this week and I was having a conversation with
my Mum about knitting, which is something I find very calming and
enjoyable - and am very good at - but haven't done for a while. I said to
her I'd quite like to get a knitting machine, mainly because it allows you
to do much finer work than hand-knitting does (unless you're extraordinarily
patient). Mum, who's a great knitter, said "Why bother?". And, financially,
she's right. The reason I want to bother is for the joy of creativity, but
it's certainly not financially a good move.
I don't know what knitting machines are like these days but the one my
grandma had in the 1970s was a big enough pain in the arse to use that
she basically didn't bother -- knitting by hand was easier.

Miche
WWMVD?
Ashley
2005-01-06 08:58:24 UTC
Post by Miche
For me, with food, part of it is knowing what the hell is in it, and
having some control over fat/salt content etc. DH and I both have food
sensitivities so it also helps that we can avoid those foods with ease,
rather than having to read labels and guess. (My sensitivity is to
wheat, which is every bloody where.)
Yeah, I remember you saying that - it would be a friggin hassle. I have
recently got really pissed off with the foods that have sugar in them. I
only noticed since I started reading the labels. But I'm beginning to know
the ones that don't have sugar in them now. Avoiding wheat and gluten would
be a *real* pain.
Post by Miche
I don't know what knitting machines are like these days but the one my
grandma had in the 1970s was a big enough pain in the arse to use that
she basically didn't bother -- knitting by hand was easier.
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.

But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
Miche
2005-01-06 09:19:26 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
For me, with food, part of it is knowing what the hell is in it, and
having some control over fat/salt content etc. DH and I both have food
sensitivities so it also helps that we can avoid those foods with ease,
rather than having to read labels and guess. (My sensitivity is to
wheat, which is every bloody where.)
Yeah, I remember you saying that - it would be a friggin hassle. I have
recently got really pissed off with the foods that have sugar in them. I
only noticed since I started reading the labels. But I'm beginning to know
the ones that don't have sugar in them now. Avoiding wheat and gluten would
be a *real* pain.
Fortunately for me I don't have to avoid gluten (it's not gluten that
causes the problem but one of the _other_ half-dozen or so proteins in
wheat). But yeah, it amounts to the same thing.

I also feel for people who have to avoid dairy. All sorts of stuff has
lactose and/or casein (milk protein) added to it.
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
I don't know what knitting machines are like these days but the one my
grandma had in the 1970s was a big enough pain in the arse to use that
she basically didn't bother -- knitting by hand was easier.
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.
But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
I can see that, if you don't mind the setup. :)

Miche
WWMVD?
geopelia
2005-01-06 11:15:02 UTC
Post by Miche
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
I don't know what knitting machines are like these days but the one my
grandma had in the 1970s was a big enough pain in the arse to use that
she basically didn't bother -- knitting by hand was easier.
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.
But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
I can see that, if you don't mind the setup. :)
Miche
--
WWMVD?
If you want a home job turning out knitted garments, a knitting machine
could be a good idea. But with hand knitting, the idea is not to produce
something that could have come from a store, but an individual garment. Fair
Isle or cable, you can do what you like and have something unique. use a
pattern for the basic shape and invent your own designs.
The biggest advantage though is to be able to watch TV while knitting, and
just to pick it up and put it down at odd moments, without a cumbersome
great machine around. You can also use up odd scraps of wool in Fair Isle.

Geopelia
Ashley
2005-01-06 18:44:21 UTC
Post by geopelia
If you want a home job turning out knitted garments, a knitting machine
could be a good idea. But with hand knitting, the idea is not to produce
something that could have come from a store, but an individual garment. Fair
Isle or cable, you can do what you like and have something unique. use a
pattern for the basic shape and invent your own designs.
The biggest advantage though is to be able to watch TV while knitting, and
just to pick it up and put it down at odd moments, without a cumbersome
great machine around. You can also use up odd scraps of wool in Fair Isle.
Fair Isle is for beginners! Kaffe Fassett is where it's at

http://www.kaffefassett.com/knitting.htm
geopelia
2005-01-06 21:25:19 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by geopelia
If you want a home job turning out knitted garments, a knitting machine
could be a good idea. But with hand knitting, the idea is not to produce
something that could have come from a store, but an individual garment. Fair
Isle or cable, you can do what you like and have something unique. use a
pattern for the basic shape and invent your own designs.
The biggest advantage though is to be able to watch TV while knitting, and
just to pick it up and put it down at odd moments, without a cumbersome
great machine around. You can also use up odd scraps of wool in Fair Isle.
Fair Isle is for beginners! Kaffe Fassett is where it's at
http://www.kaffefassett.com/knitting.htm
Those designs are great! Maybe I should have said "patterned knitting" or
something instead of Fair Isle.
Ashley
2005-01-07 06:56:07 UTC
Post by geopelia
Those designs are great! Maybe I should have said "patterned knitting" or
something instead of Fair Isle.
And, believe it or not, quite easy to achieve once you get into the swing of
them.
Tarla
2005-01-07 02:30:38 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:44:21 +1300, "Ashley"
Post by Ashley
Post by geopelia
If you want a home job turning out knitted garments, a knitting machine
could be a good idea. But with hand knitting, the idea is not to produce
something that could have come from a store, but an individual garment. Fair
Isle or cable, you can do what you like and have something unique. use a
pattern for the basic shape and invent your own designs.
The biggest advantage though is to be able to watch TV while knitting, and
just to pick it up and put it down at odd moments, without a cumbersome
great machine around. You can also use up odd scraps of wool in Fair Isle.
Fair Isle is for beginners! Kaffe Fassett is where it's at
http://www.kaffefassett.com/knitting.htm
Can you knit like that? If so, you might want to rethink your business
plan.
Ashley
2005-01-07 06:56:37 UTC
Post by Tarla
Can you knit like that?
Yes.

If so, you might want to rethink your business
Post by Tarla
plan.
There is no money to be made from handknitting.
Tarla
2005-01-07 12:16:21 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:56:37 +1300, "Ashley"
Post by Tarla
Post by Tarla
Can you knit like that?
Yes.
Post by Tarla
plan.
There is no money to be made from handknitting.
Bet the guy with that webpage is making some cash. Honestly people
would pay good money in the States for stuff like that. You'll have me
considering how to get a knitters co-op and a US outlet soon.
Ashley
2005-01-07 20:07:11 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by Ashley
There is no money to be made from handknitting.
Bet the guy with that webpage is making some cash.
Yes. He makes the cash from his *designs* not from the finished product.

Honestly people
Post by Tarla
would pay good money in the States for stuff like that. You'll have me
considering how to get a knitters co-op and a US outlet soon.
Those coats would take about a week of full-time knitting. To then get them
looking as finished as the products on the website, you'd have to then line
them. Minimum wholesale price *before* shipping etc would be around $1500.
By the time they got to the States and a retail outlet had put its markup
etc on I reckon you'd be looking at about US$2000 per coat.

But then you run into issues of supply. What retail outlet is going to take
an order of just one or two coats a week? You need to be able to guarantee
quantity. So your co-operative of knitters would have to be several hundred,
and, quite frankly, you'd need a production line!

The first Kaffe Fassett I made myself was a coat - when I got back from
Britain and was under-employed for several months. However, I recently
donated it to an op shop as it was one I just learned on and hadn't got
right (for example, I hadn't matched the stripes on the back and front). But
when I was knitting I've done jackets and vests (gorgeous for winter in
really cold climates) as presents for just about everyone in my family.

My mother is a real whizz at this kind of knitting and has done coats as
presents for several people. She's also been asked on the street whether
she's prepared to sell the coat off her back!
Tarla
2005-01-07 23:26:04 UTC
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:07:11 +1300, "Ashley"
Post by Ashley
Post by Tarla
would pay good money in the States for stuff like that. You'll have me
considering how to get a knitters co-op and a US outlet soon.
Those coats would take about a week of full-time knitting. To then get them
looking as finished as the products on the website, you'd have to then line
them. Minimum wholesale price *before* shipping etc would be around $1500.
By the time they got to the States and a retail outlet had put its markup
etc on I reckon you'd be looking at about US$2000 per coat.
Bet I could get it in Dallas, easy. Those are gorgeous, handmade NZ
wool? Oh yeah.
Post by Ashley
But then you run into issues of supply. What retail outlet is going to take
an order of just one or two coats a week? You need to be able to guarantee
quantity. So your co-operative of knitters would have to be several hundred,
and, quite frankly, you'd need a production line!
I rarely think small, but a production line sounds sooo Cambodian
sweatshop to me.
Post by Ashley
The first Kaffe Fassett I made myself was a coat - when I got back from
Britain and was under-employed for several months. However, I recently
donated it to an op shop as it was one I just learned on and hadn't got
right (for example, I hadn't matched the stripes on the back and front). But
when I was knitting I've done jackets and vests (gorgeous for winter in
really cold climates) as presents for just about everyone in my family.
Now that is a pressie worth it's weight in gold! ;-)
Post by Ashley
My mother is a real whizz at this kind of knitting and has done coats as
presents for several people. She's also been asked on the street whether
she's prepared to sell the coat off her back!
Tell her to take a few with her on a trip to the States, find a
boutique shop and she'll pay for the trip and have some mad money as
well.
Ashley
2005-01-07 23:36:08 UTC
Post by Ashley
Those coats would take about a week of full-time knitting. To then get them
looking as finished as the products on the website, you'd have to then line
them. Minimum wholesale price *before* shipping etc would be around $1500.
By the time they got to the States and a retail outlet had put its markup
etc on I reckon you'd be looking at about US$2000 per coat.
Bet I could get it in Dallas, easy. Those are gorgeous, handmade NZ
wool? Oh yeah.
Actually, a lot of the wool we've used in ours has been carpet wool. Very
cheap on skeins and because it's mixed in with everything else, no one ever
knows. The garments end up triple thickness because you always have three
colours on the go (some of the easier patterns are just two at a time, but
mine have always been three!)
Post by Tarla
Post by Ashley
But then you run into issues of supply. What retail outlet is going to take
an order of just one or two coats a week? You need to be able to guarantee
quantity. So your co-operative of knitters would have to be several hundred,
and, quite frankly, you'd need a production line!
I rarely think small, but a production line sounds sooo Cambodian
sweatshop to me.
It's actually one of the reasons I'd like to get my hands on a decent
knitting machine. If I could find one that could handle the different balls
of wool at the same time, it would make them much easier to make, I'm sure.
Post by Tarla
Tell her to take a few with her on a trip to the States, find a
boutique shop and she'll pay for the trip and have some mad money as
well.
She's into knitting grandkids clothes now - you can get them done in a day
or two!
A L P
2005-01-07 21:16:57 UTC
Post by Ashley
There is no money to be made from handknitting.
Bet the guy with that webpage is making some cash. Honestly people
would pay good money in the States for stuff like that. You'll have me
considering how to get a knitters co-op and a US outlet soon.
People I've known who hand-knit love doing it and seem to feel happy
with the prices they get from e.g. Queenstown tourist shops but really,
they're getting about $3 an hour! It's nice money for doing something
you'd be doing for nothing AND buying your own wool - but as a paying
proposition it sucks.

A L P
Brian Dooley
2005-01-07 23:59:05 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 00:15:02 +1300, "geopelia"
<***@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

snip---
Post by geopelia
If you want a home job turning out knitted garments, a knitting machine
could be a good idea. But with hand knitting, the idea is not to produce
something that could have come from a store, but an individual garment. Fair
Isle or cable, you can do what you like and have something unique. use a
pattern for the basic shape and invent your own designs.
The biggest advantage though is to be able to watch TV while knitting, and
just to pick it up and put it down at odd moments, without a cumbersome
great machine around. You can also use up odd scraps of wool in Fair Isle.
My mother used to put it down and pick it up, but usually, by the
time she picked it up, wool in that colour had gone out of
production.
--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand
Redbaiter
2005-01-08 00:39:46 UTC
Brian Dooley says
Post by geopelia
If you want a home job turning out knitted garments, a knitting machine
could be a good idea. But with hand knitting, the idea is not to produce
something that could have come from a store, but an individual garment. Fair
Isle or cable, you can do what you like and have something unique. use a
pattern for the basic shape and invent your own designs.
The biggest advantage though is to be able to watch TV while knitting, and
just to pick it up and put it down at odd moments, without a cumbersome
great machine around. You can also use up odd scraps of wool in Fair Isle.
My mother used to put it down and pick it up, but usually, by the
She should have put you down, and spared nz.general years of
trite boring leftist crap..
--
Redbaiter
In the leftist's lexicon, the lowest of the low

"At the core of modern liberalism is the spoiled child -
miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding,
ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a
philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke
A L P
2005-01-06 22:16:23 UTC
Post by Miche
I also feel for people who have to avoid dairy. All sorts of stuff
has lactose and/or casein (milk protein) added to it.
I invited a friend with dairy intolerance to lunch recently. As soon as
I'd done it my mind completely emptied of any food ideas that didn't
include milk, butter or cheese.

While I was still thinking in terms of batters and cream sauces I
thought I'd see what could be done with coconut milk/cream and spent
unconscionable hours googling. Surely ex-pats must have found ways of
substituting coconut milk in their traditional recipes, I reasoned. No
they didn't, not from what I was able to find. So I tried for myself,
made scones with coconut cream (good) so batters seem to be OK, next try
pancakes one of these days.

We had home-made bread with hummus, and soup, and there are squillions
of non dairy foods once you think about it. I think the wheat flour one
would be harder to deal with, but I suppose you get used to anything.
It's the bought foods that would be a problem. Shopping must involve a
lot of label-reading till you get to know what's what.

A L P
Miche
2005-01-07 07:10:10 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Miche
[...]
Yep. It also involves (in my case at least) not bothering with
gluten-free bread substitutes and the like, for the most part.

I've gotten used to it, but I still get asked by people how I could
"possibly live without bread". :)

Miche
WWMVD?
Tarla
2005-01-06 18:41:30 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:58:24 +1300, "Ashley"
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
For me, with food, part of it is knowing what the hell is in it, and
having some control over fat/salt content etc. DH and I both have food
sensitivities so it also helps that we can avoid those foods with ease,
rather than having to read labels and guess. (My sensitivity is to
wheat, which is every bloody where.)
Yeah, I remember you saying that - it would be a friggin hassle. I have
recently got really pissed off with the foods that have sugar in them. I
only noticed since I started reading the labels. But I'm beginning to know
the ones that don't have sugar in them now. Avoiding wheat and gluten would
be a *real* pain.
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
Ashley
2005-01-06 18:50:54 UTC
"Tarla" <***@inspire.net.nz> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...

be a *real* pain.
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
Read the labels carefully. You will usually find some brands that don't have
it - or where sugar appears way down low on the list, so the addition is
only minor. And compare the actual sugar/100g on the label - if, for
example, you can't find crackers with no sugar (which I very much doubt),
you could instead opt for the brand that had the lowest sugar/100g.
A L P
2005-01-06 22:18:31 UTC
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I was horrified when I discovered that peanut butter now had sugar in
it. Yuck! But there is "no sugar" PB as well as "no salt".

A L P
Nomon Damad
2005-01-08 08:44:10 UTC
On , , Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:18:31 +1300, Re: Melting Moment
Post by A L P
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I was horrified when I discovered that peanut butter now had sugar in
it. Yuck! But there is "no sugar" PB as well as "no salt".
Most "Binn Inn" shops have a peanut butter grinder in them, you
can put the peanuts in yourself and make it while you wait, ours
is great, you can add a little more oil if it is too dry.
A L P
2005-01-08 12:50:52 UTC
Post by Nomon Damad
Most "Binn Inn" shops have a peanut butter grinder in them, you
can put the peanuts in yourself and make it while you wait, ours
is great, you can add a little more oil if it is too dry.
We had 2 Bin Inns in Dunedin, then one, now none. I miss them, used to
go there a lot. The nearest one is, I think, in Oamaru.

A L P
Tarla
2005-01-08 19:16:36 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I was horrified when I discovered that peanut butter now had sugar in
it. Yuck! But there is "no sugar" PB as well as "no salt".
Most "Binn Inn" shops have a peanut butter grinder in them, you
can put the peanuts in yourself and make it while you wait, ours
is great, you can add a little more oil if it is too dry.
The point is not whether or not I can find sugar free peanut butter
(hell I can do without it for a month), it's that sugar is added to
almost every processed food product on the market.
Ashley
2005-01-08 20:21:22 UTC
Post by Tarla
The point is not whether or not I can find sugar free peanut butter
(hell I can do without it for a month), it's that sugar is added to
almost every processed food product on the market.
But once you start looking and recognising which products *don't* have sugar
added, it's really easy to change your shopping habits not just for a month,
but forever.
RdM
2005-01-09 02:54:03 UTC
A L P writes:
: Tarla wrote:
:
: >
: > Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
: > month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
: > crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
: >
: I was horrified when I discovered that peanut butter now had sugar in
: it. Yuck! But there is "no sugar" PB as well as "no salt".

I'm giving up on commercial peanut butter. I used to go for the no salt
stuff, but then they put sugar in it. If you look at the "sugar free" ones,
they have salt. Has anybody seen a no salt no sugar commercial PB lately?
The great thing about the salt-free PB is that you can use it in a sweet or
savoury context. PB and banana sandwich for instance; it'd be weird salted.

I may get my next PB from a health food store, where they actually have the
basic ground peanuts and oil stuff, with no hydrogenated oils either ...

Not that that's been a major concern for me personally; [1] it's just that
ISTR the last time I had a "natural" PB like that, it tasted better.

Actually, my Dad used to make it, for years. Roasted raw peanuts in an oven
dish, turning occasionally. Then cooled and de-shelled, which can be a bit
messy. Us kids would sometimes get the job; sifting them out on the back
steps in a breeze or with a nearby fan was one method I remember.
Then ground (in early days with a hand grinder; later a food processor) and
oil (and salt, to taste) added. Much cheaper, maybe tastier, than bought.

[1] Decided to do a quick search and came across this, asserting that the
proportion of trans fats in PB is tiny,<1%, and the oil is 80% unsaturated.
http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com/nutrition/skinny_on_fat.html
Recipes too ... including the obvious and basic making steps above.
Miche
2005-01-07 07:11:02 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
For me, with food, part of it is knowing what the hell is in it, and
having some control over fat/salt content etc. DH and I both have food
sensitivities so it also helps that we can avoid those foods with ease,
rather than having to read labels and guess. (My sensitivity is to
wheat, which is every bloody where.)
Yeah, I remember you saying that - it would be a friggin hassle. I have
recently got really pissed off with the foods that have sugar in them. I
only noticed since I started reading the labels. But I'm beginning to know
the ones that don't have sugar in them now. Avoiding wheat and gluten would
be a *real* pain.
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?

Miche
WWMVD?
Sue Bilstein
2005-01-07 07:29:08 UTC
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
The only one I know of is the Signature Range peanut butter. All the
others that I've looked at state just "vegetable oil, peanuts, salt"
(or no salt as case may be).

I have to admit I like the SR peanut butter; it's one of the few
things I get from Progressive supermarkets these days (with their
light meusli, tinned berries and wine specials).
A L P
2005-01-07 08:30:02 UTC
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Nearly all of them. It seems to be in it "by default" these days, they
don't label them "with sugar added", it's just the ones *without* that
are labelled specifically. I was shocked! Peanut butter used to be
made of peanuts and salt with some additional oil. Remember those
peanut butter grinders in shops? They contained roasted peanuts and you
made your own, filled your own jar. Haven't seen them for a long while.

A L P
Miche
2005-01-07 23:26:38 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Nearly all of them. It seems to be in it "by default" these days, they
don't label them "with sugar added", it's just the ones *without* that
are labelled specifically. I was shocked! Peanut butter used to be
made of peanuts and salt with some additional oil. Remember those
peanut butter grinders in shops? They contained roasted peanuts and you
made your own, filled your own jar. Haven't seen them for a long while.
Sanitarium peanut butter does not have sugar in it.

And it is not labelled as "no added sugar".

Miche
WWMVD?
TomV
2005-01-08 05:27:42 UTC
Post by Miche
Post by A L P
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Nearly all of them. It seems to be in it "by default" these days, they
don't label them "with sugar added", it's just the ones *without* that
are labelled specifically. I was shocked! Peanut butter used to be
made of peanuts and salt with some additional oil. Remember those
peanut butter grinders in shops? They contained roasted peanuts and you
made your own, filled your own jar. Haven't seen them for a long while.
Sanitarium peanut butter does not have sugar in it.
And it is not labelled as "no added sugar".
Miche
It's been my experience that most brands don't have added sugar but a
few do. We avoid them like the plague as they ruin the peanut butter

...tom
Sue Bilstein
2005-01-08 00:01:35 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Miche
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Nearly all of them. It seems to be in it "by default" these days, they
don't label them "with sugar added", it's just the ones *without* that
are labelled specifically. I was shocked! Peanut butter used to be
made of peanuts and salt with some additional oil. Remember those
peanut butter grinders in shops? They contained roasted peanuts and you
made your own, filled your own jar. Haven't seen them for a long while.
I believe that any brand which states its contents as "oil, peanuts,
salt" must contain that and only that, in other words no sugar. NZ
legislation about food contents labelling requires this.
A L P
2005-01-08 00:17:26 UTC
Post by Sue Bilstein
I believe that any brand which states its contents as "oil, peanuts,
salt" must contain that and only that, in other words no sugar. NZ
legislation about food contents labelling requires this.
Sure, but there aren't many now like that. Read the label as I did and
wonder. How did we manage with such a simple food for so many years?

And why is sugar added now? Preservatives I can understand to prevent
it going rancid but sugar! Yuk! Does everything have to be sweetened
now?

Baked beans are my particular hate. Horrid things like some mutant
dessert where they used to be a pleasant quick savoury lunch.

A L P
Miche
2005-01-08 08:46:32 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Sue Bilstein
I believe that any brand which states its contents as "oil, peanuts,
salt" must contain that and only that, in other words no sugar. NZ
legislation about food contents labelling requires this.
Sure, but there aren't many now like that. Read the label as I did and
wonder. How did we manage with such a simple food for so many years?
And why is sugar added now? Preservatives I can understand to prevent
it going rancid but sugar! Yuk! Does everything have to be sweetened
now?
Sugar is a preservative. ;)

On the whole I agree with you, though.
Post by A L P
Baked beans are my particular hate. Horrid things like some mutant
dessert where they used to be a pleasant quick savoury lunch.
I have to avoid baked beans a lot of the time because they use wheat
flour as a thickening agent for the sauce. The only wheat-free ones
I've found so far are Budget brand -- the cheapest!

Miche
WWMVD?
Ashley
2005-01-08 09:31:30 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Sue Bilstein
I believe that any brand which states its contents as "oil, peanuts,
salt" must contain that and only that, in other words no sugar. NZ
legislation about food contents labelling requires this.
Sure, but there aren't many now like that. Read the label as I did and
wonder. How did we manage with such a simple food for so many years?
And why is sugar added now? Preservatives I can understand to prevent it
going rancid but sugar! Yuk! Does everything have to be sweetened now?
I had a rant about this a wee while back. Once I started reading labels, I
discovered that a certain brand of pet milk (Whiskas, for anyone who wants
to know) contains sugar. I stopped and asked myself "Would sugar be
beneficial to my cats" and when the obvious answer came back I started
boycotting Whiskas pet milk.

So, you need not feel alone, ALP. It's not just humans they're doing this
to!
Ashley
2005-01-08 09:29:26 UTC
You are right. They must list all their ingredients.
Miche
2005-01-08 20:51:29 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by Sue Bilstein
I believe that any brand which states its contents as "oil, peanuts,
salt" must contain that and only that, in other words no sugar. NZ
legislation about food contents labelling requires this.
You are right. They must list all their ingredients.
And specifically state if the food contains certain allergens (wheat,
peanuts, other nuts, milk and soy -- I think there might be some others).

All very civilised.

Miche
WWMVD?
RdM
2005-01-09 02:54:25 UTC
"Ashley" <***@xtra.co.nz> writes:

: "Sue Bilstein" <***@yahoop.com> wrote in message
: news:***@4ax.com...
: > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:30:02 +1300, A L P <***@clear.nest.nz>
:
: > I believe that any brand which states its contents as "oil, peanuts,
: > salt" must contain that and only that, in other words no sugar. NZ
: > legislation about food contents labelling requires this.
:
: You are right. They must list all their ingredients.

Except, as an aside, in beer. Another annoyance. Despite all the coy words
about "only the finest natural ingredients" that some have (sugar no doubt
counted as natural!) and/or "naturally brewed", most cheap beers don't have
any ingredients listed apart from the alcohol content. They're not required.

I came a long time ago to the conclusion that only the beers that *clearly*
state their ingredients as "water, malt, hops, yeast" can be relied upon to
not actually have anything else in them ... sugar, preservatives, etcetera.

If the others actually *could* state that, I have no doubt that they would.
This has always struck me as a weird anomaly in the labelling laws actually.
Tarla
Skippy.
Ashley
2005-01-07 20:09:10 UTC
Post by Miche
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Skippy.

There are definitely brands without sugar. In my cupboard I have Sanitarium
Super Crunchy, which proudly proclaims on the front "No added sugar".
Miche
2005-01-07 23:24:49 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Skippy.
Thanks. Now I know which one to avoid.

Miche
WWMVD?
geopelia
2005-01-08 11:07:53 UTC
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Skippy.
Thanks. Now I know which one to avoid.
Miche
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!

Geopelia
A L P
2005-01-08 12:58:10 UTC
Post by geopelia
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
I don't like PB & Jam, they don't "go". PB and honey is popular but I
prefer PB and golden syrup which is sort of peanut toffee flavoured.
Honey and tahini, that's good.

A L P
Tarla
2005-01-08 19:19:40 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by geopelia
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
I don't like PB & Jam, they don't "go". PB and honey is popular but I
prefer PB and golden syrup which is sort of peanut toffee flavoured.
Honey and tahini, that's good.
They don't "go" because it's not what you're used to. To me, the sound
of golden syrup and peanut butter is icky, and messy.
Karen Hayward-King
2005-01-08 19:52:00 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by geopelia
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
I don't like PB & Jam, they don't "go". PB and honey is popular but I
prefer PB and golden syrup which is sort of peanut toffee flavoured.
Honey and tahini, that's good.
I like peanut butter and banana....very tasty. Peanut butter and
celery is also good.

Karen Hayward-King
Tarla
I like PB&J sandwiches. I LOVE peanut butter and bacon sandwiches.
Karen Hayward-King
2005-01-08 19:50:42 UTC
Post by geopelia
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
I don't particualy like PB & J sandwiches, but will eat one if there
is nothing else. Jay (the American SO) loves PB & J sandwiches, but
thinks that my habit of putting butter on my sandwiches rather odd.

I guess it's all a matter of what you grew up with. :-)

Karen Hayward
Tarla
2005-01-08 20:03:58 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:50:42 -0800, Karen Hayward-King
Post by Karen Hayward-King
Post by geopelia
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
I don't particualy like PB & J sandwiches, but will eat one if there
is nothing else. Jay (the American SO) loves PB & J sandwiches, but
thinks that my habit of putting butter on my sandwiches rather odd.
So do I. I find it odd to put cold butter on bread and then a sausage.
I don't ever have my bread buttered unless it's toasted first.
Post by Karen Hayward-King
I guess it's all a matter of what you grew up with. :-)
Exactly. My friend "Val" likes to watch me cook because she says I do
it very differently than the way she learned. I use the ingredients in
different ways. I always knew that there was an "American" style of
food and cooking, but it was never so clear to me until I moved here
and had something for comparison and contrast.
Karen Hayward-King
2005-01-08 20:51:18 UTC
Post by Karen Hayward-King
Post by geopelia
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
I don't particualy like PB & J sandwiches, but will eat one if there
is nothing else. Jay (the American SO) loves PB & J sandwiches, but
thinks that my habit of putting butter on my sandwiches rather odd.
So do I. I find it odd to put cold butter on bread and then a sausage.
I don't ever have my bread buttered unless it's toasted first.
He looked at me rather oddly, the first time I made one of those, but
rather liked it. I had been telling him about the sausage in a piece
of bread fund-raising sales that you often see outside supermarkets,
etc, in NZ. I went and got some English style sausages from Butcher
Boys (a local butchery/deli owned by an ex-pat Englishman)....BBQed
them along with some onions and then slapped them on some white bread
and butter.

He also likes 'Chip Butties'......especially ones made with fresh
white bread, real butter, hot chips and tomato sauce (ketchup).

I can't convince him that buttering a piece of bread, before you put
anything else on it, is the correct thing to do. :-)
Post by Tarla
Post by Karen Hayward-King
I guess it's all a matter of what you grew up with. :-)
Exactly. My friend "Val" likes to watch me cook because she says I do
it very differently than the way she learned. I use the ingredients in
different ways. I always knew that there was an "American" style of
food and cooking, but it was never so clear to me until I moved here
and had something for comparison and contrast.
Yes. Jay has noticed that when I am cooking. Not too sure what the
difference is...but he says there is a difference. Same goes for
eating. I often notice people, in a restauraunt, watching me while I'm
eating. It's the way I use my knife and fork, which is different from
the way Americans tend to.

I find that if I keep my mouth shut and don't eat, then I blend in.
:-)

Karen Hayward-King
Tarla
2005-01-08 21:36:53 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by Karen Hayward-King
I guess it's all a matter of what you grew up with. :-)
Exactly. My friend "Val" likes to watch me cook because she says I do
it very differently than the way she learned. I use the ingredients in
different ways. I always knew that there was an "American" style of
food and cooking, but it was never so clear to me until I moved here
and had something for comparison and contrast.
Yes. Jay has noticed that when I am cooking. Not too sure what the
difference is...but he says there is a difference. Same goes for
eating. I often notice people, in a restauraunt, watching me while I'm
eating. It's the way I use my knife and fork, which is different from
the way Americans tend to.
Same here. I keep hearing the nuns in my head when I try to do it the
Kiwi (European) way. "Are you in such a hurry to eat, that you can't
take the time to put your knife down? Not good manners, Miss." The
unoccupied hand should always be placed in the lap on the napkin when
using the fork, or with the wrist resting on the edge of the table,
and no further forward than that.
You're going to love being back home again, aren't you?
A L P
2005-01-08 22:09:34 UTC
Post by Tarla
Same here. I keep hearing the nuns in my head when I try to do it the
Kiwi (European) way. "Are you in such a hurry to eat, that you can't
take the time to put your knife down? Not good manners, Miss." The
unoccupied hand should always be placed in the lap on the napkin when
using the fork, or with the wrist resting on the edge of the table,
and no further forward than that.
Is that why America took so readily to no-table, no-utensil fast foods?
:)
Tarla
2005-01-08 23:28:33 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Tarla
Same here. I keep hearing the nuns in my head when I try to do it the
Kiwi (European) way. "Are you in such a hurry to eat, that you can't
take the time to put your knife down? Not good manners, Miss." The
unoccupied hand should always be placed in the lap on the napkin when
using the fork, or with the wrist resting on the edge of the table,
and no further forward than that.
Is that why America took so readily to no-table, no-utensil fast foods?
:)
I think it's because they embraced the women in the workplace thing
very quickly. That meant fast food joints were the easiest way to feed
the kids, etc. And of course, the masses will always be barbarous.
Miche
2005-01-08 20:49:33 UTC
Post by geopelia
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Skippy.
Thanks. Now I know which one to avoid.
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
Peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwiches are really nice.

(And jelly is not jam, it's jelly.)

(But not what we mean by jelly, which they call jello.)

Miche
WWMVD?
Tarla
2005-01-08 21:38:14 UTC
Post by Miche
Post by geopelia
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Post by Miche
Post by Tarla
Tell me about it. I'm trying to not have any processed sugars this
month and it leaves me a very limited diet available. Sugar is in
crackers, in peanut butter, in just about everything.
I've never seen sugar in peanut butter here... which brands?
Skippy.
Thanks. Now I know which one to avoid.
Who on earth would want sugar in peanut butter? Americans actually eat
peanut butter and jelly (jam) sandwiches,
but it seems a revolting idea to me!
Peanut butter and raspberry jam sandwiches are really nice.
(And jelly is not jam, it's jelly.)
(But not what we mean by jelly, which they call jello.)
There is a difference between jam and jelly in the states. Jam has all
the fruit bits and seeds (like blackberry jam), but jelly is the same
stuff with all the lumpy bits strained out. "It must be jelly, 'cause
jam don't shake like that!
A L P
2005-01-06 22:06:31 UTC
Post by Ashley
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.
But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
Maybe some day you'll meet someone who absolutely loves knitting but
can't afford to keep buying the wool to indulge her hobby and anyway her
family's drawers are bulging with jerseys of every hue. That would be a
good one for the personals column - "Wd like to meet ... n/s [because
the smell would cling to the wool] ... view knitting".

A L P
Brian Dooley
2005-01-07 23:59:04 UTC
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:58:24 +1300, "Ashley"
<***@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

snip---
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
I don't know what knitting machines are like these days but the one my
grandma had in the 1970s was a big enough pain in the arse to use that
she basically didn't bother -- knitting by hand was easier.
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.
But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
My wife is a real whiz and has made quite a lot for a couple of
charities, although not recently.

Now she's crocheting funny hats.

(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand
Tarla
2005-01-08 00:30:49 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:59:04 +1300, Brian Dooley
Post by Brian Dooley
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
Nope, you speeeled it rite.

I can crochet just about anything. But I never learned to knit
properly. Every time I tried, it was too complicated to reverse the
pattern for me to keep at it. Crocheting is much easier to tranfer for
a leftie.
Miche
2005-01-08 08:45:15 UTC
Post by Brian Dooley
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
Nope, you speeeled it rite.
I can crochet just about anything. But I never learned to knit
properly. Every time I tried, it was too complicated to reverse the
pattern for me to keep at it. Crocheting is much easier to tranfer for
a leftie.
Mater is left-handed, as am I. I've never learned to crochet, but if I
did I'd learn the same way my mother did -- by sitting with a
right-handed friend in front of a mirror and copying what she saw the
friend doing in the mirror.

(Crochet, you perverts, minds out of the gutter! ;)

Miche
WWMVD?
Tarla
2005-01-08 19:22:51 UTC
Post by Brian Dooley
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
Nope, you speeeled it rite.
I can crochet just about anything. But I never learned to knit
properly. Every time I tried, it was too complicated to reverse the
pattern for me to keep at it. Crocheting is much easier to tranfer for
a leftie.
Mater is left-handed, as am I. I've never learned to crochet, but if I
did I'd learn the same way my mother did -- by sitting with a
right-handed friend in front of a mirror and copying what she saw the
friend doing in the mirror.
I was crocheting a baby sweater once on the bus back in the states and
some woman kept staring at me. I assumed at first it was because I was
pregnant, but then she burst out with "Ah, now I know why that looks
so strange...you're left-handed!" I guess she'd never seen a leftie
crochteting before. I don't have any friends who crochet, or do any
handwork for that matter. I'm the only "old lady" in the bunch.
Ashley
2005-01-08 09:37:57 UTC
Post by Tarla
I can crochet just about anything. But I never learned to knit
properly. Every time I tried, it was too complicated to reverse the
pattern for me to keep at it. Crocheting is much easier to tranfer for
a leftie.
Yes, it would be. Just one hand involved, the other simply holds. Whereas
knitting I can understand would be difficult to transfer the instructions.
A L P
2005-01-08 12:55:50 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by Tarla
I can crochet just about anything. But I never learned to knit
properly. Every time I tried, it was too complicated to reverse the
pattern for me to keep at it. Crocheting is much easier to tranfer for
a leftie.
Yes, it would be. Just one hand involved, the other simply holds. Whereas
knitting I can understand would be difficult to transfer the instructions.
Could you transfer the stitches - do purl for plain, and otherwise
follow the instructions? You'd have the garment right-side-out (facing
away from you) but would anything else change? I'm trying to visualise...

A L P
Brian Dooley
2005-01-09 05:21:52 UTC
Post by Brian Dooley
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
I mean when they pronounce it to get around the 'stop'.
Post by Tarla
Nope, you speeeled it rite.
I can crochet just about anything. But I never learned to knit
properly. Every time I tried, it was too complicated to reverse the
pattern for me to keep at it. Crocheting is much easier to tranfer for
a leftie.
Don't let Bedwetter hear you say that.
--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand
Redbaiter
2005-01-09 05:28:39 UTC
Brian Dooley says
Post by Brian Dooley
I mean when they pronounce it to get around the 'stop'.
Just make yourself clear the first time you bandwidth wasting
cretin.

Redbaiter
2005-01-08 00:38:54 UTC
Brian Dooley says
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
I don't know what knitting machines are like these days but the one my
grandma had in the 1970s was a big enough pain in the arse to use that
she basically didn't bother -- knitting by hand was easier.
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.
But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
My wife is a real whiz and has made quite a lot for a couple of
charities, although not recently.
Your wife is deserving of immense pity.
Post by Tarla
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
In a padded cell?
Post by Tarla
(Interesting word that.
No it isn't. Fuck off boring pedant.

Matty
2005-01-08 01:08:09 UTC
Post by Brian Dooley
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
I've never written floccinaucinihilipilification before now.
Try looking that up in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it.
When I spelled it with a superfluous "h" there were no suggestions
offered by online dictionaries. What a worthless trivial word.
Brian Dooley
2005-01-09 05:21:53 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:08:09 +1300, Matty
Post by Matty
Post by Brian Dooley
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
I've never written floccinaucinihilipilification before now.
Try looking that up in the dictionary if you don't know how to spell it.
When I spelled it with a superfluous "h" there were no suggestions
offered by online dictionaries. What a worthless trivial word.
But when you need it nothing else will do.
--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand
Miche
2005-01-08 08:43:47 UTC
Post by Ashley
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.
But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
My wife is a real whiz and has made quite a lot for a couple of
charities, although not recently.
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
Excellent. The world needs more funny hats.

Miche
WWMVD?
Ashley
2005-01-08 09:36:45 UTC
Post by Ashley
Post by Miche
I don't know what knitting machines are like these days but the one my
grandma had in the 1970s was a big enough pain in the arse to use that
she basically didn't bother -- knitting by hand was easier.
Mum had a knitting machine also. She basically said the same thing to me!
But I'd really like to be able to do fine, fine cardies, as in
store-bought
ones, which I could create in colours and patterns to suit me. And lacy
stuff. This is, actually, just a whimsy. There are many things on my
"desirable things to buy list" way before a knitting machine. And since my
income is about to decrease, getting one's a long way off.
But I can imagine having lots of fun with one.
My wife is a real whiz and has made quite a lot for a couple of
charities, although not recently.
With a knitting machine, or by hand?

My parents have been staying with me for a week, and before that I was on
holiday with them, my brother and his sons for a week, and during all that
time my mum was knitting. And I was jealous. Because it's something I find
really relaxing and almost meditative, but I had to give it up some time ago
because I was having real OOS problems and realised either the knitting or
the job had to go.

I'm trying to put my priorities right now!
Post by Tarla
Now she's crocheting funny hats.
Crochet is something I haven't done for a *very* long time. I'm not overly
keen on the common wool crochet, but I think I'd like to get into the really
fine, lace crochet. There's plusses and minuses. Plus: you won't fuck up the
muscles in your left hadn. Minus: you'll really stuff up the muscles in your
right hand!
Dad was talking about the Simplified Spelling Society just this evening :-)
geopelia
2005-01-08 11:33:05 UTC
Post by Tarla
(Interesting word that. I don't know that I've ever had to write
it before and I had to check to make sure I'd got it right. What
stopped me was the awkward change from the French pronunciation
of the first bit to the English of the ending. I bet nearly
everyone sticks in a 'y', as in 'crochet-ying.)
Dad was talking about the Simplified Spelling Society just this evening :-)
In England we pronounced it cro shay ing.

I learnt English knitting, but later I learnt Continental knitting from
German Jewish refugees. It is faster but not so easy to do while reading or
watching TV. The wool is held in the left hand.
The tricoteuses in the French Revolution would have done Continental
knitting but films usually show them knitting the English way.
Try Continental Knitting on Google, there are many sites there.

Geopelia
Brian Dooley
2005-01-09 05:21:53 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:33:05 +1300, "geopelia"
Post by geopelia
snip----
Post by geopelia
Post by Ashley
Post by Tarla
My wife is a real whiz and has made quite a lot for a couple of
charities, although not recently.
With a knitting machine, or by hand?
Machine.

snip---
Post by geopelia
In England we pronounced it cro shay ing.
Are you sure you didn't pronounce it 'cro shay ying'.

And don't they here?
--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand
Tarla
2005-01-05 19:12:47 UTC
Post by geopelia
Post by Tarla
Post by geopelia
be different.
Cup = 250 ml
tablespoon - 15 ml level measure
Teaspoon = 5 ml " "
C'mon Geo, do you really use measuring tools? How long you been
cooking? I bet you're just like me, pour it into your hand and you
know almost exactly what a tsp, tbl, and even a cup look like. Level
measure indeed.
If you are using a bread machine, you MUST get it exact. We gave our old
machine to a Cordon Blue cook who guessed, and dough escaped everywhere!
Well, that all but convinces me not to get one, then. I can't be
bothered with measuring tools for something as simple as bread.
Post by geopelia
I use measuring cups and spoons when making cakes, pavlovas etc, but not for
soups, stews and most meat dishes.
I use the cup measure when making cakes or baked goods, just because
it's the easiest way to handle the flour.
Post by geopelia
It is very important with yeast or baking powder. There is a big difference
between level, rounded and heaped, too.
Never worry about baking power or yeast. I know what a tsp is in my
hand.
Post by geopelia
And I always look to see where a cookbook was published, to see what
measuring system they use. Often they will give a list.
Not a problem for me. All of mine are American.
Post by geopelia
(I've been married 40 years, and cooked for myself for a while before that.
I didn't learn cake making from my mother, as girls do today. With food
rationed, she just couldn't risk any beginner's mistakes! )
When I first started cooking on my own, I wanted to be able to cook
two things well...gravy and pies. Gravy was relatively easy. Perfect
pies took a lot longer to figure out.
A L P
2005-01-05 03:32:42 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by geopelia
If you are reading this from outside New Zealand, remember our measures may
be different.
Cup = 250 ml
tablespoon - 15 ml level measure
Teaspoon = 5 ml " "
C'mon Geo, do you really use measuring tools? How long you been
cooking? I bet you're just like me, pour it into your hand and you
know almost exactly what a tsp, tbl, and even a cup look like. Level
measure indeed.
I measure for baking, bread excepted, because baked goods generally
require correct percentages of the ingredients. I have enough knowledge
of ingredients and the processes involved to substitute ingredients and
alter basic fruit loaf and biscuit recipes but don't think it is a good
idea till you know a particular recipe and how the raw mixture should
look, feel and taste. A friend who likes to bake "instinctively"
recently produced some damn fine biscuits for once. "I followed the
recipe," she said.

A L P
Tarla
2005-01-05 19:17:03 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Tarla
Post by geopelia
[...]
Not instinctively. Just not using measuring tools. I learned how to do
this by measuring first, then pouring it into my palm. After a few
hundred times, you're able to measure a teaspoon into your palm and
have it fit perfectly into a teaspoon. Baking is simply a matter of
ratios. If you are consistent in your measurements, be it with a tool
or just a hand, then the ratios will be the same and there won't be a
problem. You may get a few more cookies out of a batch than the recipe
claims, but they won't taste any different.
A L P
2005-01-05 21:15:42 UTC
Post by Tarla
Post by Tarla
C'mon Geo, do you really use measuring tools? How long you been
cooking? I bet you're just like me, pour it into your hand and you
know almost exactly what a tsp, tbl, and even a cup look like. Level
measure indeed.
I learned how to do
this by measuring first, then pouring it into my palm. After a few
hundred times, you're able to measure a teaspoon into your palm and
have it fit perfectly into a teaspoon. Baking is simply a matter of
ratios. If you are consistent in your measurements, be it with a tool
or just a hand, then the ratios will be the same and there won't be a
problem. You may get a few more cookies out of a batch than the recipe
claims, but they won't taste any different.
What's the point of pouring it into your hand? I'm trying to imagine
doing that here. I store 5kg flour bags in a 20l plastic bucket with a
cup that lives there permanently. Other stuff is in jars and I
imagine up-ending a jar and getting a cascade of cocoa. Some jars have
plastic teaspoons in permanent residence. Messy things like golden
syrup have to be measured by spoon or cup - well I suppose not, but it's
quicker to wash utensils at the end than stop and wash sticky hand!
Altogether using a spoon seems easier than putting ingredients in my
hand let alone spending an age learning to recognise a tsp or tablespoonful!

A L P
Tarla
2005-01-05 22:38:26 UTC
Post by A L P
Post by Tarla
Post by Tarla
C'mon Geo, do you really use measuring tools? How long you been
cooking? I bet you're just like me, pour it into your hand and you
know almost exactly what a tsp, tbl, and even a cup look like. Level
measure indeed.
I learned how to do
this by measuring first, then pouring it into my palm. After a few
hundred times, you're able to measure a teaspoon into your palm and
have it fit perfectly into a teaspoon. Baking is simply a matter of
ratios. If you are consistent in your measurements, be it with a tool
or just a hand, then the ratios will be the same and there won't be a
problem. You may get a few more cookies out of a batch than the recipe
claims, but they won't taste any different.
What's the point of pouring it into your hand?
To teach yourself the amount, visually. After that, you don't need
measuring spoons for anything.
Post by A L P
I'm trying to imagine
doing that here. I store 5kg flour bags in a 20l plastic bucket with a
cup that lives there permanently. Other stuff is in jars and I
imagine up-ending a jar and getting a cascade of cocoa. Some jars have
plastic teaspoons in permanent residence. Messy things like golden
syrup have to be measured by spoon or cup - well I suppose not, but it's
quicker to wash utensils at the end than stop and wash sticky hand!
Altogether using a spoon seems easier than putting ingredients in my
hand let alone spending an age learning to recognise a tsp or tablespoonful!
It doesn't really take a hundred times. A dozen is usually good
enough for the capable. Point is...when I make waffles on Saturday
mornings, I don't need to dirty a bunch of spoons. I just pour the
baking powder, sugar, salt into my hand from the container. I use a
two cup measure for the flour because, as you point out, it's much
more convenient. But I'm not particularly fussed as to whether or not
it's a level two cups when I mix it in. I don't use a knife to level
the flour, you know? I can eyeball the liquid measure up to a cup or
so. So I don't need to dirty another cup for that. It takes two
seconds to rinse my hands, and a lot longer to wash a bunch of spoons
and cups. I'm a lazy cook, but no one seems to notice when they're
eating the food.
BJay
2005-01-06 03:12:06 UTC
I find that with the melting moment recipe itis quite nice to ad some
vanilla when creaming the butter with the icing sugar and instead of one cup
of cornflour, use 1/2 cornflour and 1/2 custard powder, this gives a
bisucuit that has a lovely vanilla flavour and is slightly lighter in
texture and crisper than using all cornflour.
Karen Hayward-King
Miche
2005-01-06 05:46:40 UTC
Post by BJay
I find that with the melting moment recipe itis quite nice to ad some
vanilla when creaming the butter with the icing sugar and instead of one cup
of cornflour, use 1/2 cornflour and 1/2 custard powder, this gives a
bisucuit that has a lovely vanilla flavour and is slightly lighter in
texture and crisper than using all cornflour.
Custard powder is basically cornflour with vanilla flavouring and
colouring in it.

Miche
--
WWMVD?