A static which maybe useful
Gordon
2024-07-03 22:32:16 UTC
https://ourworldindata.org/data-insights/renewable-electricity-2023

There have been the odd figures thrown about in recent times so here is a
starting point for some figures.

Note that this top link is for all green power generation, wind, solar,
hydro, biomass etc.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/modern-renewable-prod?country=~NZL
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/modern-renewable-prod

The figures are the power generated, not the installed capacity.
Rich80105
2024-07-04 00:23:14 UTC
Post by Gordon
https://ourworldindata.org/data-insights/renewable-electricity-2023
There have been the odd figures thrown about in recent times so here is a
starting point for some figures.
Note that this top link is for all green power generation, wind, solar,
hydro, biomass etc.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/modern-renewable-prod?country=~NZL
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/modern-renewable-prod
The figures are the power generated, not the installed capacity.
An interesting chart, thanks Gordon. I will explore a bit more, but
found fairly quickly this chart giving the percentage of electricity
production from renewable sources
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/share-of-electricity-production-from-renewable-sources?country=Low-income+countries~Lower-middle-income+countries~Upper-middle-income+countries~High-income+countries~OWID_WRL~NZL

We do however still have a way to go in reducing total CO2 emissions.
Tony
2024-07-04 00:52:11 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Post by Gordon
[...]
There is no need to reduce CO2 emissions.
Why would you want to do that?
BR
2024-07-04 17:22:30 UTC
Post by Rich80105
We do however still have a way to go in reducing total CO2 emissions.
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
David Goodwin
2024-07-04 22:20:44 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@blah.blah
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
We do however still have a way to go in reducing total CO2 emissions.
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
Willy Nilly
2024-07-04 23:18:45 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
Post by BR
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
Ah yes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Notice how cold it
gets overnight when the sky is clear? That falsifies your BS. So
which part of your sentence was BS? The word "because".
David Goodwin
2024-07-05 00:56:00 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
Post by BR
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
Ah yes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Notice how cold it
gets overnight when the sky is clear? That falsifies your BS. So
which part of your sentence was BS? The word "because".
I'm not sure what your mistake is. Are you claiming that CO2 does not
reduce the amount of heat radiated into space? Or are you imagining that
I claimed that any amount of Co2 blocks all infrared radiation?
Willy Nilly
2024-07-05 06:36:07 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
Ah yes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Notice how cold it
gets overnight when the sky is clear? That falsifies your BS. So
which part of your sentence was BS? The word "because".
I'm not sure what your mistake is. Are you claiming that CO2 does not
reduce the amount of heat radiated into space? Or are you imagining that
I claimed that any amount of Co2 blocks all infrared radiation?
I'm going to humour your pretense of not actually knowing the answer
to this, so here is the explanation just as though you were a noob:

Over a baseline of (say) 350ppm, additional CO2 does not meaningfully
reduce the heat radiated into space. Duh.
David Goodwin
2024-07-05 08:55:46 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
Ah yes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Notice how cold it
gets overnight when the sky is clear? That falsifies your BS. So
which part of your sentence was BS? The word "because".
I'm not sure what your mistake is. Are you claiming that CO2 does not
reduce the amount of heat radiated into space? Or are you imagining that
I claimed that any amount of Co2 blocks all infrared radiation?
I'm going to humour your pretense of not actually knowing the answer
Over a baseline of (say) 350ppm, additional CO2 does not meaningfully
reduce the heat radiated into space. Duh.
So 350ppm has some insulating effect, but doubling it to 700ppm wouldn't
double that insulating effect? Is that what you're claiming?

Or are you claiming that 350ppm does nothing and doubling nothing is
still nothing?
Willy Nilly
2024-07-05 21:12:05 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Willy Nilly
Over a baseline of (say) 350ppm, additional CO2 does not meaningfully
reduce the heat radiated into space. Duh.
So 350ppm has some insulating effect, but doubling it to 700ppm wouldn't
double that insulating effect? Is that what you're claiming?
Correct. The CO2 effect is already saturated. This has been found
and published by true scientists, and ignored by the corrupt zealots.
David Goodwin
2024-07-06 00:28:32 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Willy Nilly
Over a baseline of (say) 350ppm, additional CO2 does not meaningfully
reduce the heat radiated into space. Duh.
So 350ppm has some insulating effect, but doubling it to 700ppm wouldn't
double that insulating effect? Is that what you're claiming?
Correct. The CO2 effect is already saturated. This has been found
and published by true scientists, and ignored by the corrupt zealots.
I see. So the reason Venus is hotter than Mercury despite being further
from the sun is caused by something other than all the CO2 in its
atmosphere?

Or are you claiming there is a gap? A little CO2 has an effect, a medium
amount of CO2 has no effect, and a lot of CO2 has an effect again?
Willy Nilly
2024-07-07 02:57:24 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
So 350ppm has some insulating effect, but doubling it to 700ppm wouldn't
double that insulating effect? Is that what you're claiming?
Correct. The CO2 effect is already saturated. This has been found
and published by true scientists, and ignored by the corrupt zealots.
I see. So the reason Venus is hotter than Mercury despite being further
from the sun is caused by something other than all the CO2 in its
atmosphere?
Venus has 100x the atmosphere by weight, compared with the Earth. The
atmospheric pressure at its surface is intense. This means the heat
transference is way extreme, keeping all parts of Venus hot (477C),
even that part not facing the Sun. The hottest place on Mercury is
that part directly facing the Sun (i.e., the Sun is directly overhead)
at which point I'd imagine the rocks there get even hotter than Venus,
although I see no citation for that.
Post by David Goodwin
Or are you claiming there is a gap? A little CO2 has an effect, a medium
amount of CO2 has no effect, and a lot of CO2 has an effect again?
Well, Venus has 95% CO2 atmosphere, i.e., 950000 ppm. That's a long
way from Earth's 400 ppm. I'm sure that there's quite a bit more CO2
warming between 400ppm and 950000ppm, but let's quantify that: Let's
guess that Venus's temperature would be 77C at 400ppm CO2. Then, if
the CO2-based warming was linear with CO2 density, it has gained 400C
over a 949600ppm increase. Thus it gains 0.042C per each 100ppm CO2
increase. Therefore it would need to gain 3561 ppm (to a total of
3961ppm) CO2 to achieve the "magic" 1.5C increase that keeps the
climatistas in a lather. That was 3961ppm to reach 1.5C temperature
increase for Earth. Perhaps you can calculate for us how many
millennia are required for us to reach 3961ppm CO2. Have fun.

BR
2024-07-05 19:53:52 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jul 2024 12:56:00 +1200, David Goodwin
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
Post by BR
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
Ah yes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Notice how cold it
gets overnight when the sky is clear? That falsifies your BS. So
which part of your sentence was BS? The word "because".
I'm not sure what your mistake is. Are you claiming that CO2 does not
reduce the amount of heat radiated into space? Or are you imagining that
I claimed that any amount of Co2 blocks all infrared radiation?
What amount would that be?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
2024-07-05 01:04:48 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by David Goodwin
Post by BR
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
Ah yes, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Notice how cold it
gets overnight when the sky is clear? That falsifies your BS. So
which part of your sentence was BS? The word "because".
Do you think the cold may be because the sun is not shining on your
part of the planet, Willy Nilly? The word "because" does appear to
have been appropriate in giving the answer to the question posed.
Tony
2024-07-05 02:28:00 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
We do however still have a way to go in reducing total CO2 emissions.
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
That is not really the topic.
WIth respect to Bill I believe the issue is simply that the amount of CO2
produced by mankind (directly and indirectly) is dwarfed by the amount produced
by nature. My recollection is we are responsible for about 4% only. So why do
we want to reduce it particularly when it has been higher in the past and a
slightly higher percentage of CO2 will enhance, not degrade growth.
All of those are matters posted here regularly and by experts for decades now.
David Goodwin
2024-07-05 03:00:55 UTC
In article <***@ue.ph>, ***@orcon.net.nz
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
We do however still have a way to go in reducing total CO2 emissions.
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
That is not really the topic.
WIth respect to Bill I believe the issue is simply that the amount of CO2
produced by mankind (directly and indirectly) is dwarfed by the amount produced
by nature. My recollection is we are responsible for about 4% only. So why do
we want to reduce it particularly when it has been higher in the past and a
slightly higher percentage of CO2 will enhance, not degrade growth.
All of those are matters posted here regularly and by experts for decades now.
Nature, for the most part, isn't producing CO2. Its just recycling it.
Gas to tree to gas its just changing form over the decades or centuries.
The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere isn't increasing over time from
this.

Humans are producing *new* CO2. The carbon we're emitting has been
buried for hundreds of millions of years in deposits that took thousands
or millions of years to form. The carbon coming out coal power plants
hasn't been in the atmosphere since before dinosaurs walked the earth.

And we're not planting an equivalent amount of forestry to take all that
CO2 back out of the air and store it. Instead in recent centuries we've
been felling forests and draining swamps decreasing the environments
ability to pull CO2 from the air. So all that new carbon we're
introducing is just staying in the air or ending up in the ocean as
carbonic acid which threatens marine life that people depend on for food
and income.
Tony
2024-07-05 06:49:03 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
All well and good but we are contributing a tiny percentage of CO2 and there is
no definitive evidence, let alone any proof, that an increase of that level of
CO2 is a problem. It is just another one of the exaggerations produced by the
climate emergency folk. That emergency has not, ever, been demonstrated as fact.
I am all for smartening up our act with the obvious things like better waste
management etc. But I do not support the extreme acts that are being suggested
like reducing llivestock farming, and I will not do so until I see proof that
an emergency or anything approaching one is provided, it has not been provided
to date.
Climate emergency is an industry driven by money and political extremism and
not by evidence.
David Goodwin
2024-07-05 09:38:23 UTC
In article <***@ue.ph>, ***@orcon.net.nz
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
We've almost doubled the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere since the
industrial revolution. To claim this should have no effect is to claim
CO2 has no effect at all.
Post by Tony
It is just another one of the exaggerations produced by the
climate emergency folk. That emergency has not, ever, been demonstrated as fact.
Its been demonstrated plenty which is why *most* governments and people
accept it as fact. The reason you don't think it hasn't been
demonstrated is an entirely different issue.
Post by Tony
I am all for smartening up our act with the obvious things like better waste
management etc. But I do not support the extreme acts that are being suggested
like reducing llivestock farming, and I will not do so until I see proof that
an emergency or anything approaching one is provided, it has not been provided
to date.
Climate emergency is an industry driven by money and political extremism and
not by evidence.
The oil and gas industry generates a couple trillion in revenue every
year. The coal industry is another couple trillion. Entire economies are
built on these industries.

Surely if money were a motivation, it would be the fossil fuel industry
pushing climate change denialism to protect their vast revenues, not the
~100bn solar panel industry or whatever trivial money the wind turbine
manufacturers make trying to put one of the largest industries in the
planet out of business by claiming CO2 is a problem when it isn't. CO2
has been held up as the problem since before those industries even
really existed.

And as for politics, what motivation do you think there is? Why would a
politician choose to push for this when doing nothing is surely easier?
What is there to gain when there are so many other issues they could be
campaigning to fix?

It seems pretty bold to claim money and political "extremism" is behind
the climate emergency while ignoring the very strong motivation the
vastly wealthy fossil fuel industry has to convince people of the
opposite.
Tony
2024-07-05 21:30:52 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
David, I made no such claim. You really do seem to misunderstand what people
write.
The calim is simply that there is no scientific evidence that the current
increases (assuming there are such) are of concern.
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Tony
It is just another one of the exaggerations produced by the
climate emergency folk. That emergency has not, ever, been demonstrated as fact.
Its been demonstrated plenty which is why *most* governments and people
accept it as fact. The reason you don't think it hasn't been
demonstrated is an entirely different issue.
Nonsense. There is no scientific basis, it is political and greed driven. Show
me the science and I will be convinced.
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Tony
I am all for smartening up our act with the obvious things like better waste
management etc. But I do not support the extreme acts that are being suggested
like reducing llivestock farming, and I will not do so until I see proof that
an emergency or anything approaching one is provided, it has not been provided
to date.
Climate emergency is an industry driven by money and political extremism and
not by evidence.
The oil and gas industry generates a couple trillion in revenue every
year. The coal industry is another couple trillion. Entire economies are
built on these industries.
So? How does that negate what I wrote.
Post by David Goodwin
Surely if money were a motivation, it would be the fossil fuel industry
pushing climate change denialism to protect their vast revenues, not the
~100bn solar panel industry or whatever trivial money the wind turbine
manufacturers make trying to put one of the largest industries in the
planet out of business by claiming CO2 is a problem when it isn't. CO2
has been held up as the problem since before those industries even
really existed.
Still nom science I see!
Post by David Goodwin
And as for politics, what motivation do you think there is? Why would a
politician choose to push for this when doing nothing is surely easier?
What is there to gain when there are so many other issues they could be
campaigning to fix?
Still no science.
Post by David Goodwin
It seems pretty bold to claim money and political "extremism" is behind
the climate emergency while ignoring the very strong motivation the
vastly wealthy fossil fuel industry has to convince people of the
opposite.
Not at all - people are making fortunes out of this and the politics of the WEF
and the WHO speak for themselves.
Rich80105
2024-07-05 22:03:11 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jul 2024 06:49:03 -0000 (UTC), Tony
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
So show us proof that it is not true . . .
Post by Tony
I am all for smartening up our act with the obvious things like better waste
management etc. But I do not support the extreme acts that are being suggested
like reducing llivestock farming, and I will not do so until I see proof that
an emergency or anything approaching one is provided, it has not been provided
to date.
Of course it has, you just prefer not to believe that it is true.
Do you have evidence of that?
Tony
2024-07-05 22:46:12 UTC
Post by Rich80105
On Fri, 5 Jul 2024 06:49:03 -0000 (UTC), Tony
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by Tony
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Don't be so silly. I cannot prove something is not true, and nor can you.
David made the claim, he needs to show it is valid.
Post by Rich80105
Post by Tony
I am all for smartening up our act with the obvious things like better waste
management etc. But I do not support the extreme acts that are being suggested
like reducing llivestock farming, and I will not do so until I see proof that
an emergency or anything approaching one is provided, it has not been provided
to date.
Of course it has, you just prefer not to believe that it is true.
Show me the proof or go away.
Post by Rich80105
Post by Tony
Climate emergency is an industry driven by money and political extremism and
not by evidence.
Do you have evidence of that?
Yes - you are proof in your own childish obedient way, however the antics of
the WEF are demonstrable proof.
You prove that the climate emergency is real. You have never done so to date,
over to you.
BR
2024-07-05 19:53:01 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jul 2024 10:20:44 +1200, David Goodwin
Post by David Goodwin
says...
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
We do however still have a way to go in reducing total CO2 emissions.
Why do we need to reduce CO2 emissions?
Because CO2 absorbs and re-emits infrared energy rather than allowing it
to escape into space.
So who told you that a slight increase in an atmospheric gas
concentration which is typically measured in parts per million has
become a problem, and why have the possible benefits of such an
increase not been investigated?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com