Peters at his best (or worst)
Tony
2020-08-16 03:57:12 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300082962/live-deputy-prime-minister-and-nz-first-leader-winston-peters-calls-for-election-to-be-delayed
"
New Zealand First leader Winston Peters today called for a delay to the
election as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak.
“Since Monday evening, August 10, we have said that our health response must
come first and politics second. That remains our view as the case numbers rise
each day.
“We know we don’t have a unique strain of the virus, and that the Americol
connection does not exist, as product from that source has not been imported
into the country for months, so the border remains the likely source of the
outbreak.
“More’s the point, there is now no ability to conduct a free and fair election
if the Prime Minister decides to hold the General Election on September 19,”
stated Mr Peters."
Well, rhetoric of course but actually I believe a delay would be in support of
democracvy in our current situation.
Gotta love him, dontcha?
John Bowes
In this case Winston is correct. good of him to follow Collins and Seymours lead. november may be to early though. I'd be happy with early next year because we need more time to settle down after the latest virus flare up.
Gordon
2020-08-16 07:53:30 UTC
Post by John Bowes
Post by Tony
[...]
The election cycle in NZ has been interupted buy the two world wars and the
Great depression. So no real issue with a delay of a year or two.

The issue is that the election is really a distraction to the Covid-19 issue
and it maybe one issue too far. It probably will not end all that well.

The country is in the middle of something important right now, and getting
all political is really not the way to go right now.

Winston has some good points, it is his delivery and carry on in between
them which need to be dropped.
James Christophers
The election must be held no later than November 21. Any later date is for Parliament to decide. The National Party will support the government in deciding and setting a new date (The Chief of the Electoral Commission will be involved). But whatever that new date may be, coronavirus will still be with us.
George
2020-08-16 20:21:38 UTC
On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 22:57:12 -0500
Post by Tony
[...]
Desperate last gasp attempt at looking like hes relevant