Irony indeed
2020-01-07 20:24:58 UTC
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2020/01/07/975194/burning-irony-climate-fix
As well as other clear issues it shows just how little we understand exactly
what is happening to our climate, and why we should not assume that the
so-called experts actually know what they are talking about.
There is much pseudo science and political guesswork but more real research is
needed.
John Bowes
I find it amusing how those calling themselves climate xcientists sound so much lke trained parrots repeating an already discredited mantra :)
Rich80105
2020-01-08 08:45:45 UTC
On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 14:24:58 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2020/01/07/975194/burning-irony-climate-fix
As well as other clear issues it shows just how little we understand exactly
what is happening to our climate, and why we should not assume that the
so-called experts actually know what they are talking about.
There is much pseudo science and political guesswork but more real research is
needed.
It is clearly very confusing for you, Tony. While the following
article was written in relation to the fires in Australia, it may give
an indication that some official reports should be taken seriously:
https://chaser.com.au/general-news/no-one-could-have-predicted-this-says-government-that-was-warned-about-this-in-1988-1993-1998-2001-2004-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-and-2019/

In the article that you cited, the Parliamentary Commissioner for the
Environment made some very good points - particularly as we have now
had a few forest fires ourselves:
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/01/fight-against-hawke-s-bay-forest-fire-enters-third-day.html

It seems the "experts" have been giving fairly good predictions . . .
BR
2020-01-08 18:44:37 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
The greens have much to answer for regarding the loss of life and
damage to property as a result of the Aussie bushfires.

Green policy in state governments and councils has prevented
controlled burnoffs and tree felling which would have deprived the
fires of fuel and therefore minimised the devastation.

Wildfires are part of the natural ecology of Australia. They have
always occurred there and always will. Eucalyptus trees take natural
advantage of the fires for their seeds to germinate.

The sensible thing to do would have been to cut down all the trees
around inhabited areas. Green policy imposes heavy fines for people
who do this. The greens are the real villains in this whole tragic
mess. They are no less killers than someone who pours petrol through
the letterbox of an occupied house and sets it on fire.

Bill.
George
2020-01-08 19:06:32 UTC
On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 07:44:37 +1300
Post by BR
The greens have much to answer for regarding the loss of life and
damage to property as a result of the Aussie bushfires.
Green policy in state governments and councils has prevented
controlled burnoffs and tree felling which would have deprived the
fires of fuel and therefore minimised the devastation.
Wildfires are part of the natural ecology of Australia. They have
always occurred there and always will. Eucalyptus trees take natural
advantage of the fires for their seeds to germinate.
The sensible thing to do would have been to cut down all the trees
around inhabited areas. Green policy imposes heavy fines for people
who do this. The greens are the real villains in this whole tragic
mess. They are no less killers than someone who pours petrol through
the letterbox of an occupied house and sets it on fire.
Bill.
Yup.
Never happen though.
The Aussies are blind to the fact that those lovely green trees
surrounding their house are in fact the biggest risk to them.
And any roads into local villages have these trees right down to the
tarseal preventing any escape in a fire...
Rich80105
2020-01-08 21:05:49 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
Those slurs were debunked, Bill, See for example:
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/08/australia-where-lies-and-conspiracy-theories-spread-like-bushfire?CMP=soc_567
It is all part of the increasing policy of the right to say blatant
lies to misrepresent political opponents - an attempt to distract
from their own negligence in ignoring reports about what science tells
us to expect:
John Bowes
The problem Rich that it's the LEFT telling the most blatant lies and you're more than happy to accept those lies as the truth. so typical of the idiots blindly following the lefts agenda without considering the facts!
Gordon
2020-01-09 06:30:04 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
This point is missed by many. Long term the forest needs the fire to allow
the gum trees seeds to germinate.

Sure thing, the fire at the time is destructive, but nature sees this as
part of the cycle and things start a fresh. Any species that can not
tolerate a burn off now and again went extent eons ago.
Post by BR
The sensible thing to do would have been to cut down all the trees
around inhabited areas.
The Aboriginal people used fire as as tool. The fires kept the fuel load
small and allows the grass to come away.

No need to cut down all the trees, leave some here and there with large
spaces inbetween.
Tony
2020-01-08 19:31:46 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
You deliberately miss the point.
Climate change is not proven to be mostly man made - that is the point.
James Christophers
2020-01-09 03:48:27 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
Simply reverse the hypothesis - i.e., that climate change is conclusively proved not to be man made. What then? Continue as now to take steps to eliminate, or at least mitigate, any cause that gives rise to increasing concerns about climate as we are now experiencing it. Or not?

As Gordon Campbell points out, the 1960 film "On the Beach" ends with a panning shot of a sign saying, "There is still time, brother". However...

By then there's no-one left to read it, let alone act on it.
George
If that were so why haven't China and India and Pakistan gotten involved
BR
2020-01-10 17:54:27 UTC
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 19:48:27 -0800 (PST), James Christophers
Post by James Christophers
Simply reverse the hypothesis - i.e., that climate change is conclusively proved not to be man made. What then?
That is nonsense.

It is up to those promoting these absurd claims to prove them. To
expect the opposite would mean that anyone could claim anything and be
taken seriously. I would have thought that was obvious to everyone.

Bill.
Rich80105
2020-01-10 19:15:00 UTC
Post by James Christophers
Simply reverse the hypothesis - i.e., that climate change is conclusively proved not to be man made. What then?
That is nonsense.
It is a hypothetical question, Bill.
Post by BR
It is up to those promoting these absurd claims to prove them.
Indeed it would be. But as you know global warmin has been proved, so
proving the opposite would be difficult.
Post by BR
expect the opposite would mean that anyone could claim anything and be
taken seriously. I would have thought that was obvious to everyone.
Bill.
Hypothetical questions can however be useful to test for logical
fallacies.
Tony
What absolute nonsense.
Gordon
2020-01-11 02:47:14 UTC
Post by James Christophers
Simply reverse the hypothesis - i.e., that climate change is conclusively proved not to be man made. What then?
That is nonsense.
Since you state that it is, it does seem that a little proof is required.
Post by BR
It is up to those promoting these absurd claims to prove them. To
expect the opposite would mean that anyone could claim anything and be
taken seriously. I would have thought that was obvious to everyone.
Indeed. It is to the other side.

The issuse is What is causing the climate change to be entering a warmer
phase? The arguement that CO2 increasing in the atmosphere does it, is
rather like saying speed kills.

We can not do any scientific experiemnts to show that going from 350 to
410ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere causes it to warm up. So we are left with
Beyond Reasonable Doubt theories.
HitAnyKey
2020-01-09 04:14:36 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
No. The whole point is that that is not the point.

Whether climate change is man-made or a natural cycle doesn't really
matter. What does matter is that climate change is happening - and not
somewhere in an undefined future, but here and now. So the real point
is, can we do anything about it before Nature does it for us by brutally
reducing population(s)?

If we don't try, we'll have to leave it to Nature, which won't be
pleasant, and we'll never know whether we might have succeeded. If we do
try, and fail, we'll still have to accept Nature's answer, though it
might be a better one than if we do nothing. If we try, and succeed,
we'll have provided our own answer.

All of which is to say that we cannot afford not to try......
Tony
Nobody is suggesting that we do nothing.
Rich80105
2020-01-09 07:08:15 UTC
On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 22:44:04 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
[...]
Of course not Tony - that would be very crass. But some will say that
we need to have more discussion before rushing in, that we are already
doing a lot, that we need more investigation, that there is no need to
waste our coal reserves, that its all National's fault for signing us
up to an international agreement that wil cost us money, and there's a
poster to nz.general that is being mean to others but one of our
esteemed MPS has come up with a scheme to stop all crime by not
allowing parole if the body has not been found and everything is the
governments fault as they have only built 3 houses that were not
already under way through National who achieved a much higher number
of about 10,000 fewer Housing Corporation properties but that's OK
cause they booked up all the motels for people in cars, but why are yu
worrying about al of that when if you pray to the Lord we will all be
saved, but that will be much better if you give a bit more money to
the Bishop and his wife . . .

ow, what were you taling about, Tony?.
Tony
2020-01-09 19:08:20 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
Yes you should stop doing that.
Post by Rich80105
but one of our
esteemed MPS has come up with a scheme to stop all crime by not
allowing parole if the body has not been found and everything is the
governments fault as they have only built 3 houses that were not
already under way through National who achieved a much higher number
of about 10,000 fewer Housing Corporation properties but that's OK
cause they booked up all the motels for people in cars, but why are yu
worrying about al of that when if you pray to the Lord we will all be
saved, but that will be much better if you give a bit more money to
the Bishop and his wife . . .
Perhaps you should go back on your meds. They might help you with your
unhealthy obsession with sarcasm and very poor typing.
Post by Rich80105
ow, what were you taling about, Tony?.
No point because you cannot understand common sense.
However for the record, the debate that you and I have had is whether the main
cause is man-made, unfortunately you deliberately and always turn it back to
denying that there are two sides to the science.
Rich80105
2020-01-10 03:15:09 UTC
On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 13:08:20 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
[...]
You do understand then - a point to you for both building on a
distraction as well as doing the "Right" thing by putting in a
gratuitous and unjustified personal attack - your CT handlers will be
very happy!
but one of our
esteemed MPS has come up with a scheme to stop all crime by not
allowing parole if the body has not been found and everything is the
governments fault as they have only built 3 houses that were not
already under way through National who achieved a much higher number
of about 10,000 fewer Housing Corporation properties but that's OK
cause they booked up all the motels for people in cars, but why are yu
worrying about al of that when if you pray to the Lord we will all be
saved, but that will be much better if you give a bit more money to
the Bishop and his wife . . .
Perhaps you should go back on your meds. They might help you with your
unhealthy obsession with sarcasm and very poor typing.
And yet another distraction - well done, but there is no need to go
overboard with repeating every comment you have ever received, Tony.
Now, what were you taling about, Tony?.
No point because you cannot understand common sense.
However for the record, the debate that you and I have had is whether the main
cause is man-made, unfortunately you deliberately and always turn it back to
denying that there are two sides to the science.
Main cause is man-made? I think most would say the man-made influences
are significant but certainly not he only cause of climate change -
and to the extent mankind has made climate change more harmful, action
can be taken to reduce the harmful effects. Has there ever been
disagreement with that?
Tony
2020-01-10 04:00:59 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
No idea what CT is but you were the obvious mean person therefore merely a
logical conclusion.
[...]
More sarcasm, the refuge of the guilty, ignorant and inarticulate.
Now, what were you taling about, Tony?.
No point because you cannot understand common sense.
However for the record, the debate that you and I have had is whether the main
cause is man-made, unfortunately you deliberately and always turn it back to
denying that there are two sides to the science.
Main cause is man-made? I think most would say the man-made influences
are significant but certainly not he only cause of climate change -
and to the extent mankind has made climate change more harmful, action
can be taken to reduce the harmful effects. Has there ever been
disagreement with that?
You are slowly changing your tone, splendid but a long way to go. There is no
firm evidence that the causes are primarily man-made.
The science is not proven by a long way.
So let us (you mainly) be honest and accept there are things to be done but
since man-made causes are yet to be proven why not drop the politics and stick
to the science. Your challenge this year, if you actually care enough.
Rich80105
2020-01-10 10:12:11 UTC
On Thu, 09 Jan 2020 22:00:59 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
[...]
are significant but certainly not the only cause of climate change -
and to the extent mankind has made climate change more harmful, action
can be taken to reduce the harmful effects. Has there ever been
disagreement with that?
You are slowly changing your tone, splendid but a long way to go. There is no
firm evidence that the causes are primarily man-made.
You do like to misrepresent others, don't you, Tony. It does not have
to be "primarily" man-made for mankind to have had a significant
effect, and that effect has been proved.
Post by Tony
The science is not proven by a long way.
Of course it is - but as always you turn a blind eye to reality.
Your wilful blindness does you no credit, Tony.
Tony
Your stupidity is legend.
John Bowes
2020-01-10 20:44:20 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
That's your stock in trade Rich!
The science is not proven by a long way.
Of course it is - but as always you turn a blind eye to reality.
As usual WRONG! Many of the new Climate Scientists are currently understanding how wrong they are as they finally start examining climate with their brand new degrees!

It is YOU Rich who have the biggest problem with turning a blind eye to reality! As usual you see your own failings in others while turning a blind eye to your own shortcomings and failure!
Whereas your blindness is just typical of you and your watermelon friends Rich :)
Gordon
2020-01-09 06:17:40 UTC
Post by Tony
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2020/01/07/975194/burning-irony-climate-fix
As well as other clear issues it shows just how little we understand
exactly what is happening to our climate, and why we should not assume
that the so-called experts actually know what they are talking about.
There is much pseudo science and political guesswork but more real
research is needed.
[Snip]
Post by HitAnyKey
Whether climate change is man-made or a natural cycle doesn't really
matter. What does matter is that climate change is happening
The earths climate has always been changing. This is nothing new.

- and not
Post by HitAnyKey
somewhere in an undefined future, but here and now. So the real point
is, can we do anything about it before Nature does it for us by brutally
reducing population(s)?
Nature is changing the climate. It might change back to a mini ice age.

The idea that man can control climate change/nature is agorant/totally
stupid.

If things get bad on planet Earth then it is question of how to react to
these changes, not fluff about trying to reduce CO2 output/input.

Try stopping a tide coming in.

All this against a backdrop of the science having the jury out.
George
2020-01-09 19:13:38 UTC
On 9 Jan 2020 06:17:40 GMT
Post by Gordon
Post by HitAnyKey
somewhere in an undefined future, but here and now. So the real
point is, can we do anything about it before Nature does it for us
by brutally reducing population(s)?
Nature is changing the climate. It might change back to a mini ice age.
The idea that man can control climate change/nature is agorant/totally
stupid.
If things get bad on planet Earth then it is question of how to react
to these changes, not fluff about trying to reduce CO2 output/input.
Try stopping a tide coming in.
All this against a backdrop of the science having the jury out.
Those advocating that 'something can be done' are getting richer by the
hour as the less educated among us throw money at what they're told is
a fix for natures cycles
James Christophers
2020-01-10 04:37:20 UTC
On 9 Jan 2020 06:17:40 GMT
Post by Gordon
Post by HitAnyKey
somewhere in an undefined future, but here and now. So the real
point is, can we do anything about it before Nature does it for us
by brutally reducing population(s)?
Nature is changing the climate. It might change back to a mini ice age.
The idea that man can control climate change/nature is agorant/totally
stupid.
If things get bad on planet Earth then it is question of how to react
to these changes, not fluff about trying to reduce CO2 output/input.
Try stopping a tide coming in.
All this against a backdrop of the science having the jury out.
Those advocating that 'something can be done' are getting richer by the
hour as the less educated among us throw money at what they're told is
a fix for natures cycles
Spot on George.
The only countries in the world that might just be able to make a small
percentage of improvement are doing nothing and some of those countries are the
ones that have the largest "Climate Change income".
If only we actually had a real Green movement, but like almost every country
the ones we have are political in disguise.
Just as you fervently hoped your last 13 words had thankfully vanished un-noticed into your bottomless trashbin marked "Bleedin'obvious".....this...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/09/austria-greens-right-peoples-party-anti-immigration

Politics in disguise, eh? Well, you really never can tell, can you?
Tony
2020-01-10 04:51:59 UTC
On 9 Jan 2020 06:17:40 GMT
Post by Gordon
Post by HitAnyKey
[...]
Thank you, what a shame that you did not, and could not ever, understand what I
wrote.
Rich80105
You are beginning to understand your problem, Tony . . .
Tony
You are getting more pathetic by each post.
John Bowes
Rich is like Winston's government. Just when you think they can't get worse they find new depths of stupidity to plumb :)
Rich80105
2020-01-10 03:10:32 UTC
Post by HitAnyKey
somewhere in an undefined future, but here and now. So the real point
is, can we do anything about it before Nature does it for us by brutally
reducing population(s)?
Nature is changing the climate. It might change back to a mini ice age.
The idea that man can control climate change/nature is agorant/totally
stupid.
Nobody is suggesting that, but it is reasonable to expect that man can
influence climate for the better.
Post by Gordon
If things get bad on planet Earth then it is question of how to react to
these changes, not fluff about trying to reduce CO2 output/input.
Why not both, Gordon?
Post by Gordon
Try stopping a tide coming in.
Nobody is suggesting trying to do that.
Post by Gordon
All this against a backdrop of the science having the jury out.
What jury is that Gordon? Most juries are in unanimous agreement 0
that is why a previous National-led government signed us up to an
internation agreement, and that has been supported by later National
and Labour-led governments.
BR
2020-01-10 17:37:30 UTC
On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 04:14:36 -0000 (UTC), HitAnyKey
Post by HitAnyKey
All of which is to say that we cannot afford not to try......
We can afford not to try. Thee whole thing is a fraud.

If a small increase in atmospheric CO2 is the existential threat that
all the braying, mooing climate protesters would have you believe,
then the only solution to this so-called "problem" will be to make the
extra CO2 go away, and the only way to do that would be for a global
tyrannical government to implement and enforce total
de-industrialisation and compel everyone to take up subsistence
farming. In such a hypothetical situation most people would not live
for long afterwards, and those who survived would spend the rest of
their days living a life of back breaking serfdom. Swapping your car
for an e-bike, driving an electric car, veganism, voting green, paying
more tax, more public transport, windmills etc. won't make a blind bit
of difference.

Try selling that to generation snowflake.

Bill.
Rich80105
2020-01-10 19:06:34 UTC
Post by HitAnyKey
All of which is to say that we cannot afford not to try......
We can afford not to try. Thee whole thing is a fraud.
If a small increase in atmospheric CO2 is the existential threat that
all the braying, mooing climate protesters would have you believe,
then the only solution to this so-called "problem" will be to make the
extra CO2 go away, and the only way to do that would be for a global
tyrannical government to implement and enforce total
de-industrialisation and compel everyone to take up subsistence
farming.
Such radical action has not been suggested; the science indicates it
is not as difficult as you are stating.
Post by BR
In such a hypothetical situation most people would not live
for long afterwards, and those who survived would spend the rest of
their days living a life of back breaking serfdom.
Where do you get this from?
Post by BR
Swapping your car
for an e-bike, driving an electric car, veganism, voting green, paying
more tax, more public transport, windmills etc. won't make a blind bit
of difference.
Labour, The Green Party, NZ First and National all support action re
global warming; National signed us up to the international agreements
and drives an electric car himself. I don't know what David Seymour
believes. Where do you get these ideas?
Post by BR
Try selling that to generation snowflake.
Bill.
There are a few more Australians who want their country to take
action, and try selling your ideas to Kiribati!
John Bowes
Kiribati suffers from seasonal fluctuations of el Nina. but why let the truth get in the way of a good story rich?
Gordon
2020-01-11 03:07:26 UTC
Kiribati suffers from seasonal fluctuations of el Nina. but why let the truth get in the way of a good story rich?
La Nina and its mate El Nino. Been going on for years as the warm water
moves in the Pacific Ocean. Certainly changed the climate from year to year.
George
2020-01-10 19:07:30 UTC
Post by HitAnyKey
[...]
Forget the ebike.
That would require 24 hour power generating infrastructure.
No matter how you view it they're screwed
Rich80105
2020-01-10 19:29:47 UTC
Post by HitAnyKey
[...]
For another view, see:
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/@ideasroom/2020/01/09/977706/im-taking-action-heres-how-you-can-too#

from which you can follow a trail of articles through:
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/advance-article/doi/10.1093/biosci/biz088/5610806
John Bowes
Interesting to see just how much CO2 has been in the atmosphere over the millennia. Yet life continued. The current loud protests from idiots like Rich make me think of chicken Little and his protestations that "THE SKY IS FALLING! " :)
HitAnyKey
2020-01-11 01:36:49 UTC
Post by BR
Post by HitAnyKey
[...]
You'd better be right, because if you're not, the reality will be beyond
any possible recovery when it comes to pass.
W. H. P. Pattay.
2020-01-11 02:55:11 UTC
Post by HitAnyKey
Post by BR
Post by HitAnyKey
All of which is to say that we cannot afford not to try......
We can afford not to try. Thee whole thing is a fraud.
If a small increase in atmospheric CO2 is the existential threat that
all the braying, mooing climate protesters would have you believe, then
the only solution to this so-called "problem" will be to make the extra
CO2 go away, and the only way to do that would be for a global
tyrannical government to implement and enforce total
de-industrialisation and compel everyone to take up subsistence farming.
I think I see where you are coming from here, Bill, but please forgive
and correct me if I am wrong.
By braying, I think you mean donkeys, mooing, cows. I don't know what
noise koalas make but there are not too many of them left to disagree
with you. A lot of sheep, and I am sometimes sad to realise I am one of
them, prefer to pop down to the dairy with a tonne of plastic and metal
joyfully creating CO2 to get a sugary treat or an American-advertised
takeaway to improve their enjoyment of life and I ask you, Bill, to
please answer me honestly and directly,how the fuck can I do this in an
economy based on subsistence farming?

Are you saying that Donkeys and Cows are going to form a global
tyrannical government to replace the current blood sucking vampire of
Wall Street? If so, how far above current sea level should I stake out
my vege plot?
Post by HitAnyKey
Post by BR
In such a hypothetical situation most people would not live for long
afterwards, and those who survived would spend the rest of their days
living a life of back breaking serfdom. Swapping your car for an e-bike,
driving an electric car, veganism, voting green, paying more tax, more
public transport, windmills etc. won't make a blind bit of difference.
Try selling that to generation snowflake.
Bill.
You'd better be right, because if you're not, the reality will be beyond
any possible recovery when it comes to pass.
Yes, but by the time this happens, stupid old farts that currently post
to usenet will be not be capable of braying, mooing, baaing nor typing.
BR
2020-01-11 18:05:15 UTC
On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 15:55:11 +1300, "W. H. P. Pattay."
Post by W. H. P. Pattay.
Post by HitAnyKey
Post by HitAnyKey
Post by BR
In such a hypothetical situation most people would not live for long
afterwards, and those who survived would spend the rest of their days
living a life of back breaking serfdom. Swapping your car for an e-bike,
driving an electric car, veganism, voting green, paying more tax, more
public transport, windmills etc. won't make a blind bit of difference.
Try selling that to generation snowflake.
Bill.
You'd better be right, because if you're not, the reality will be beyond
any possible recovery when it comes to pass.
Yes, but by the time this happens, stupid old farts that currently post
to usenet will be not be capable of braying, mooing, baaing nor typing.
Can you translate that for me?

Bill.

Gordon
2020-01-11 02:56:13 UTC
Post by HitAnyKey
[...]
This idea of achieving "carbon zero/neutral" is just so plain stupid. Lowering
the levels of CO2 are soon going to be too hard, or too extreme for others.

BTW, electric cars and e-bikes need electricty so the country better crank
up renewable energy generation fast.

How does a container ship, or airliner work on renewable energy? A container
ship under sail.
Post by BR
Try selling that to generation snowflake.
I am sure it is being done.