A Lack of Kindness
2020-09-07 11:03:41 UTC
http://norightturn.blogspot.com/2020/09/national-is-on-side-of-landlords.html

Quite a bit has been said about this "policy" decision of National,
but the short comment above encapsulates the lack of concern for
others very well. Remember that it was under National that Rheumatic
fever became resurgent - largely through their lack of concern over
slum landlords. Yet here they go again - demonstrating they just don't
care about poverty.

Labour has been held back by coalition necessities - Winston has not
endeared himself to anyone by being so proud of holding the government
back (and of course COVID has not helped, but National don't want to
work with anyone else - hopefully that will mean they do not have any
part of government for many years.
John Bowes
2020-09-07 11:10:13 UTC
http://norightturn.blogspot.com/2020/09/national-is-on-side-of-landlords.html
Quite a bit has been said about this "policy" decision of National,
but the short comment above encapsulates the lack of concern for
others very well. Remember that it was under National that Rheumatic
fever became resurgent - largely through their lack of concern over
slum landlords. Yet here they go again - demonstrating they just don't
care about poverty.
Funny you should be going on about poverty Rich. almost as though your stupid enough to believe Labour actually gives a damn or has done anything but talk about poverty over the last three years! Besides which it's Labour who passed legislation that's causing rents to go up!
Winston has actually done a fairly good job of reigning back the worst excessives of his government. a pity he didn't manage to restrain them even more!
BR
2020-09-07 16:47:34 UTC
http://norightturn.blogspot.com/2020/09/national-is-on-side-of-landlords.html
Quite a bit has been said about this "policy" decision of National,
but the short comment above encapsulates the lack of concern for
others very well. Remember that it was under National that Rheumatic
fever became resurgent - largely through their lack of concern over
slum landlords. Yet here they go again - demonstrating they just don't
care about poverty.
Labour has been held back by coalition necessities - Winston has not
endeared himself to anyone by being so proud of holding the government
back (and of course COVID has not helped, but National don't want to
work with anyone else - hopefully that will mean they do not have any
part of government for many years.
There is no such thing as kindness in government.

Beware of any politician who promises to be "kind", or to "help the
little guy".

Such promises from politicians have historically preceded the most
brutal and oppressive subjugation of the people who initially believed
them.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under
robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber
baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be
satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us
without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

C.S.Lewis.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Tony
Excellent quote and apt.
Rich80105
2020-09-07 20:53:13 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
I doubt if Judith Collins would see her policies in exactly that
light, Bill, but you are fairly close. She would see the good of the
economy relying on good profits to generate the taxes that enable all
new Zealanders to benefit from our prosperity - yes it is filled with
holes, particularly when talking about largely untaxed profits from
rental properties, but self-awareness is not a National Party trait,
but you are correct that rentier profits are seen as just as desirable
as real productivity in the minds of those leading National, and
easier to arrange. Quite why they put bank profits ahead of those of
other companies is hard to understand, but I suspect that was laregly
a John Key foible. Labour have come into criticism for a COVID benefit
that is higher than the normal unemployment benefit; but their focus
has been on getting people back into work as quickly as possible - and
indeed our economy has come back more strongly than other nations that
followed the lighter lockdown policies favoured by National, and the
government will be in a position to help those who will find it harder
to become employed, including many of our most in poverty New
Zealanders, overall we are all better for saving more businesses at
this stage.
Tony
2020-09-08 03:28:54 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Do you really believe that anybody is fooled by such transparent idiocy as this
post by you?
With respect to Bill, he was obviously referring to the Labour party.
this stage.
Rich80105
2020-09-08 05:09:37 UTC
On Mon, 07 Sep 2020 22:28:54 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
post by you?
With respect to Bill, he was obviously referring to the Labour party.
The following link may make you happier, Tony - the bottom paragraph
in particular:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/122699226/rebecca-gibney--its-better-to-be-kind-than-be-right
this stage.
Tony
2020-09-08 06:36:43 UTC
post by you?
With respect to Bill, he was obviously referring to the Labour party.
The following link may make you happier, Tony - the bottom paragraph
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/122699226/rebecca-gibney--its-better-to-be-kind-than-be-right
I am perfectly happy, thank you for your faux concern, However what you have
posted is silly off topic and clearly intended to be abusive.
this stage.
James Christophers
2020-09-08 05:24:00 UTC
post by you?
With respect to Bill, he was obviously referring to the Labour party.
Possibly it is Bill's intention to nail Labour and Arden as today's do-gooding busybodies, but his message nevertheless implicitly acknowledges the age-old aphorism that, regardless of ideology, stripe, hue or colour, "power must never be granted to those who seek it" (various attributions). In that sense, then, Collins (National) could be said always to have sought power, at long last granted her in the twilight of her political years but even then solely because she was the last qualifying rotten apple at the bottom of National's barrel.

OTH, during the last general election, Arden (Labour), though ambitious and doubtless with her eye on the prize, had not then been seeking the premiership at all. But she nevertheless accepted the challenge when shoulder-tapped. She deserves credit for her fateful decision and for the courage and resolve she has shown in the way she has conducted herself both personally and administratively during an incumbency that has taken her into unimagined scenarios that no one could ever have dreamed of less than a year ago.
Tony
2020-09-08 06:35:08 UTC
post by you?
With respect to Bill, he was obviously referring to the Labour party.
Possibly it is Bill's intention to nail Labour and Arden as today's do-gooding
busybodies, but his message nevertheless implicitly acknowledges the age-old
aphorism that, regardless of ideology, stripe, hue or colour, "power must never
be granted to those who seek it" (various attributions). In that sense, then,
Collins (National) could be said always to have sought power, at long last
granted her in the twilight of her political years but even then solely because
she was the last qualifying rotten apple at the bottom of National's barrel.
No it is consistent with Bill's posts in the past. All the rest of what you
have written is distraction. Maybe you should actually read what Bill writes.
George
2020-09-08 20:03:32 UTC
On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 01:35:08 -0500
Post by Tony
No it is consistent with Bill's posts in the past. All the rest of
what you have written is distraction. Maybe you should actually read
what Bill writes.
Were he to do that there would be less of the rambling dissertation.
And he wont want that
Tony it's Rich your talking about. You know the fucking idiot who only believes Labour good, National bad!
Crash
2020-09-07 23:31:35 UTC
http://norightturn.blogspot.com/2020/09/national-is-on-side-of-landlords.html
Quite a bit has been said about this "policy" decision of National,
but the short comment above encapsulates the lack of concern for
others very well. Remember that it was under National that Rheumatic
fever became resurgent - largely through their lack of concern over
slum landlords. Yet here they go again - demonstrating they just don't
care about poverty.
Labour has been held back by coalition necessities - Winston has not
endeared himself to anyone by being so proud of holding the government
back (and of course COVID has not helped, but National don't want to
work with anyone else - hopefully that will mean they do not have any
part of government for many years.
While I largely agree with your comments, the fact is that the
marketplace for domestic rental properties is under supplied meaning
that renters have to take whatever they can find. If the rental
property market were oversupplied then properties with inadequate
facilities would remain empty or very cheap.

The reality is that neither Labour nor National have the answers to
removing barriers that inhibit property owners from building new
rental units. It is far simpler to legislate what landlords must
include. Increased rental property costs will either result in higher
rents or fewer rental properties. It is also far simpler for
governments to lament higher rents rather than identify and correct
underlying causes.

This is not a National or Labour issue - but a universal acceptance by
both parties that favours simple quick fixes instead of medium term
solutions.

2020-09-08 00:01:23 UTC
[...]
I agree with your analysis, Crash. I suspect a big issue currently is
still earthquake strengthening for multi unit buildings, but there may
also be issues with the body corporate structures commonly used (and
supporting legislation), and the lack of long term investors, which
again may be related to cultural issues, or legal issues or both. THen
there is the lack of real competition in our building industry, and
the culture of making money from fighting contracts after they are
agreed rather than basic trust (that has been evident in some roading
projects, but PPPs have also been a disaster).

There are some good developments with some city buildings being
converted to apartments, and currently we also have some underused
hoels and student accomodation. Greater ''work from home" will affect
where people want to live, but overseas experience suggests that there
is a demand for inner-city life, particularly for young people.

Putting all that together I suspect it would be reasonable for the
""Cullen Fund"" to invest in a property / construction company that is
promarily to help at the "top end" to give us better contracts for
design, to undertake some supervision, and better contracts for
construction; and possibly to encourage/ finance some ''standard
process" mass production. The governments move to remove some height
restrictions may make a big difference; it is also clear that we need
a lot more social housing in a wider variety of configurations;
privatising social housing does not appear to have worked to expand
the number of people able to be accomodated.
Hopefully if Covid issues allow, the next government can get on with
some of those issues.
Gordon
2020-09-08 07:10:34 UTC
[...]
It is a neo-liberalism way of thinking which has caused this, or rather
neither party can fix the housing with the neo-liberalism way of thinking.

It was Labour which started this off with Rogernomics in 1984.