Simon Bridges gets a problem solved!
2020-05-12 01:59:38 UTC
At a recent Committee Meeting, Simon Bridges was very concerned about
some very serious issues:
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/in-fiery-exchange-simon-bridges-accuses-dr-bloomfield-holding-back-info
" "Here’s the point, the Government suspended the OIA (Official
Information Act) and we’ve been waiting over two weeks for your
department to answer written questions," Mr Bridges said.

"Why don’t you answer simple health questions to the one parliamentary
committee on this remarkably significant issue?"

"I’ll be quite frank with you: I don’t think it’s a resourcing issue.

"I think it comes down to one simple thing. You don’t want to answer
because you want to control the information flow and do this in a time
and a way convenient to you and the Government," Mr Bridges said. " "
______________

So it is good to see that he received a prompt, polite and
professional reply:
https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/media/erc-letter-7may2020.pdf

" "On 6 May 2020, following your questions at the Epidemic Response
Committee (ERC), I undertook to check the timeliness of responses
provided by the Ministry of Health to questions from the Committee.

Requests come to both the Ministry and the Minister. In both
situations the Ministry endeavours to provide timely, factual and
accurate responses. Sometimes the turnaround time expected by the
committee is very tight.

I have been advised that when I most recently appeared in front of the
Epidemic Response Committee there were no outstanding responses.

During the hearing, it was suggested that the government has suspended
the Official Information Act and the ERC has made multiple requests
for information from the Ministry that it is waiting for.

I can assure the Committee that the Ministry of Health has not
received any direction that the Official Information Act 1982 has been
suspended and we continue to respond to OIA requests based on the
Official Information Act 1982.

Every effort is being made to ensure people receive information as
soon as it can be reasonably provided, which includes the large amount
of information that the Ministry is proactively placing online.

If any Committee Member has a concern about a specific request made to
the Ministry, please let me know.

Please note that given the importance of, and public interest in, this
matter, I will make this response available on the Ministry of Health
website. "
__________________
Tony
2020-05-12 02:24:29 UTC
[...]
Well done for recognising that the issues were in fact potentially very serious
and the questions had to be asked.
Apart from that a typical politician who seems to have polished his trade by
watching this government's behaviour.
Rich80105
2020-05-12 02:41:51 UTC
On Mon, 11 May 2020 21:24:29 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
[...]
Absolutely Tony - when you know you have been waiting an intolerable
time for an answer it is helpful to find out what you either hadn't
asked a question, or had already received the answer . . .

But perhaps you were referring to the accusation that the Government
had suspended the Official Information Act - despicable! . . .
Intolerable! . . . Oh they hadn't . . . Well how could the Leader of
the Opposition be expected to know that!
Tony
2020-05-12 03:13:36 UTC
[...]
He asked a question, period. Is that not what leaders of the opposition are
supposed to do? Especially when the question is a good one as you pointed out.
Rich80105
2020-05-12 03:37:04 UTC
On Mon, 11 May 2020 22:13:36 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
[...]
What I said was "when you know you have been waiting an intolerable
time for an answer it is helpful to find out that you either hadn't
asked a question, or had already received the answer . . ."
[typo corrected: what changed to that above]
which did not express an opinion about his actual statement which was:
" "Here’s the point, the Government suspended the OIA (Official
Information Act) and we’ve been waiting over two weeks for your
department to answer written questions," Mr Bridges said.

"Why don’t you answer simple health questions to the one parliamentary
committee on this remarkably significant issue?" "

So, Tony, do you think that really was a responsible statement, or a
good question, that Simon Bridges gave and asked?
Tony
2020-05-12 03:47:33 UTC
[...]
He asked a question that you apparently thought was OK.
Is that not what he is supposed to do?
Rich80105
2020-05-12 04:52:21 UTC
On Mon, 11 May 2020 22:47:33 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
[...]
I don't know what gave you that idea. He made a rude, arrogant and
unjustified assertion, framed as a question - the problem that he got
solved was a polite, well written and responsible response that may
have highlighted to you and others his appalling behaviour and
ignorance.
Post by Tony
Is that not what he is supposed to do?
No - do you think he should keep demonstrating his pique and ignorance
in that way?
Tony
2020-05-12 04:57:58 UTC
Post by Tony
Is that not what he is supposed to do?
No - do you think he should keep demonstrating his pique and ignorance
in that way?
Oh dear, you hate it when the opposition are as arrogant as the government
don't you?
He asked a question, framed as one or not is irrelevant.
That is all.
Rich80105
2020-05-12 05:38:36 UTC
[...]
I am not sure what you are driving at Rich. The response from Dr
Bloomfield was factual and even-handed, precisely what is to be
expected from the DG of Health (or any other Government Department
Chief). Such senior roles require people skilled at leading large
organisations and the ability to communicate clearly is a basic part
of this skill set.

Do you feel that the reply was inappropriate Rich? If so why?

2020-05-12 07:43:25 UTC
[...]
I can remember seeing the video of the meeting of the Committee where
Simon Bridges was clearly very angry at delays in answering requests
for information. His claim that the Government had shut down the
Offical Information Act did not sound right, but I did wonder if in
some small way we had returned to the days of National insisting that
information not be given without approval of Ministers and other
delaying tactics. I have a family member involved in putting together
that knowledge I thought any funny business was doubtful, but I could
not be sure - it may have been that in a department under considerable
stress some matters had slipped. Even so the extreme reaction from
Bridges did seem to indicate there may well be a problem, so I was
interested when I saw there had been a response.

You are correct that the response was totally what I would have
expected - as I said prompt, polite and professional; I agree with
your description of factual and even handed. From what I have heard,
OIA requests are handled with equal impartialilty and fairness in
other departments.

Your statement that " Such senior roles require people skilled at
leading large organisations and the ability to communicate clearly is
a basic part of this skill set" is apt. I would add that the ability
to remain calm in difficult situations, to respect those working for
and with you, and to be seen to be fair, considered and honest are
also relevant, and displayed by Dr Bloomfield. Sadly none of these
characteristics were shown by Simon Bridges; whose accusations have
been shown to be at least techinically incorrect, but whose inability
to contain his temper, whose accusation of shutting down an Act of
Parliament was incorrect, demonstrate that the only major problem here
was Simon Bridges himself, who lacks any of hte characteristics of a
leader of any group.

I recognise that, as with Trump in the USA, different people wil see
the circumstances and the reaction differently - and sadly in many
cases support a politician in such actions not on merit but because of
his position as a party leader.

Dr Bloomfield has my respect.
Crash
2020-05-12 08:11:00 UTC
[...]
He also has mine, but his involvement in what you posted is a bit-part
in your anti-National bent. Whenever you post about anyone in respect
of what Bridges/National has said or done, their involvement is a
bit-part to your relentless anti-National (both the party and its
leaders) agenda. Your interest in the bit-part player is purely as a
means to this end.

2020-05-12 11:35:25 UTC
[...]
Yes, you are right to an extent; I do try to bring a bit of balance
into nz.general - regarding political support I try to provide
rational support for my conclusions, which I know if unusual for
usenet. The two johns are prolific with straightforward nonsense;
James provides interesting perspectives an some issues; you tend to
try to sit an the fence. There are a couple of others that I think are
looking forward to the election being over so that National can have a
clean out and do something to make themselves electable again. I've
been posting since the 90's (under another nym in the early days), and
I understand why Harmer stopped (he retired) and Farrar left (he
started Kiwiblog where he wasmore in control).
John Bowes
Balance and rational support for your conclusions Rich? That's the funniest piece of bullshit you've ever posted! As to the rest typical of your usual fiction :)
Rich80105
Yet more identity fraud - you are scum
Rich80105
2020-05-12 23:04:56 UTC
[...]
In some ways one could liken it to Alfred Hitchcock's "McGuffin" - the object/factor that kicks off the plot but the audience doesn't give a fig about:

http://www.openculture.com/2013/07/alfred-hitchcock-explains-the-plot-device-he-called-the-macguffin.html