Hate speech laws
2020-12-10 19:58:37 UTC
https://thebfd.co.nz/2020/12/10/a-subject-both-left-and-right-can-agree-on/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)&mc_cid=e099df23f5&mc_eid=60f36909d3
Could well be correct.
Particularly this "how on earth is Gender Identity hate speech laws a response
to a white supremacist terror attack?"
John Bowes
The commissions findings are virtue signalling bullshit worthy of the totalitarian government New Zealand has inflicted on itself!
John Bowes
Paul Moon makes some very good points about the stupidity of laws that are to be defined on a case by case basis. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/123659211/silencing-disharmonious-speech-will-not-be-golden
Tony
2020-12-10 21:47:03 UTC
https://thebfd.co.nz/2020/12/10/a-subject-both-left-and-right-can-agree-on/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)&mc_cid=e099df23f5&mc_eid=60f36909d3
Could well be correct.
Particularly this "how on earth is Gender Identity hate speech laws a response
to a white supremacist terror attack?"
Paul Moon makes some very good points about the stupidity of laws that are to
be defined on a case by case basis.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/123659211/silencing-disharmonious-speech-will-not-be-golden
Yes that is a good link. The pendulum always tends to go too far when it is
given a push, and that is what seems to be happening here but it is also being
driven by not very well hidden agendas some of which are political.
Tony
2020-12-11 00:05:14 UTC
On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 15:47:03 -0600, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
https://thebfd.co.nz/2020/12/10/a-subject-both-left-and-right-can-agree-on/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)&mc_cid=e099df23f5&mc_eid=60f36909d3
Could well be correct.
Particularly this "how on earth is Gender Identity hate speech laws a response
to a white supremacist terror attack?"
Paul Moon makes some very good points about the stupidity of laws that are to
be defined on a case by case basis.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/123659211/silencing-disharmonious-speech-will-not-be-golden
Yes that is a good link. The pendulum always tends to go too far when it is
given a push, and that is what seems to be happening here but it is also being
driven by not very well hidden agendas some of which are political.
I agree that there is a lot of stupid alarmist reporting; the bfd
article being only one of many. The willingness to engender hatred of
others is part of the reason our security forces are having to spend
more time on far right extremists; as in all things a balance is
needed. Most for example object to the live streaming of the Mosque
killings. The New Zealand Initiative is doing the correct thing in
accepting a resignation for posting unacceptable behaviour on the
internet. There will be thinking people from botht he right and left
who will be concerned that proposed legislation does not go either too
far or not far enough; I will not prejudge what those proposals are
until they are published.
You have not agreed with me. There is a strong possibility that there will be
legislation that removes some freedom of speech to which we are entitled. We
know that some want that, and the BFD article is well put together and is
pertinent. If we are not careful we will in fact have a 1984 scenario.
John Bowes
<bullshit in support of a totalitarian government snipped>
Gordon
2020-12-11 03:05:28 UTC
https://thebfd.co.nz/2020/12/10/a-subject-both-left-and-right-can-agree-on/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)&mc_cid=e099df23f5&mc_eid=60f36909d3
Could well be correct.
Particularly this "how on earth is Gender Identity hate speech laws a response
to a white supremacist terror attack?"
Well there will be some reason. Things get really stretched these days.
President of the US of A excluded.
Tony
2020-12-11 03:41:04 UTC
https://thebfd.co.nz/2020/12/10/a-subject-both-left-and-right-can-agree-on/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)&mc_cid=e099df23f5&mc_eid=60f36909d3
Could well be correct.
Particularly this "how on earth is Gender Identity hate speech laws a response
to a white supremacist terror attack?"
Well there will be some reason. Things get really stretched these days.
President of the US of A excluded.
If there is one I would like to see it.