So it will likely be a Labour-led governmnet 2020-2023
2020-10-16 02:38:42 UTC
Labour's popularity rose as National's sank as the COVID19 pandemic
reached our shores and we quickly found ourselves in a Level 4 lock
down. It looks likely - according to every poll I have seen - that
this will indeed translate into a Labour-Green government.

The biggest positive I see from this result is that this will be
second Parliament since the formation of NZF that it will not be
present in.

As I half expected, Judith Collins has not lead a resurgent National
Party in this election campaign. In my humble opinion this is because
they have singularly failed to put before us a master plan for moving
the country forward in a COVID19-infested world and beyond.
Specifically their plans for a temporary tax cut, paired with the same
levels of government debt fueled spending have simply not cut it with
the voters, and they have not been able to leverage the woeful record
of delivery that the current government has.

2020-10-16 02:59:34 UTC
[...]
Probably what will happen. But Labour "survived" the coalition with NZ First,
they did not wield the power they could have, resulting in many failed
important deliveries.
Hopefully they will do better if they enter a coalition agreement with the
Greens and actually deliver on their main promises. We do not need another 3
years of non-delivery of vital policies.
Gordon
2020-10-16 03:22:22 UTC
[...]
Agreed. So let us hope that Covid goes away sooner rather than later.

With a Labour/Green Government we may have the situation of the Greens
wishing more of their ideas into law and Labour having to be the moderating
force.

Labour needs to find an anchoring point fast, otherwise they will be swept
out to sea and without a new crisis we can get down to business as usual.

And yes, National needs to get some thinking done so it can tell us waht it
stands for, as in what it would do.

Then we have the PM saying she is off out of there, if Labour loses. Unusual
behaviour for a politician.
Tony
2020-10-16 03:39:06 UTC
[...]
Yes it is but entirely consistent with one that holds power by virtue of her
personality and with a very limited history of delivery.
Euall B. Tode
2020-10-16 07:52:23 UTC
Then we have the PM saying she is off out of there, if Labour loses. Unusual
behaviour for a politician.
Yes it is
In the previous National government's first term, in election year, the
National PM (John Key) said he would be off out of there if National lost.

In the current Labour government's first term, in election year, the
Labour PM (Jacinda Ardern) says she would be off out of there if Labour
loses.

Most New Zealanders will not be surprised by this, whoever the PM or
party. In the last quarter century, every New Zealand PM who has lost
the top job has not served out his or her parliamentary term in a lesser
role. Jim Bolger, Jenny Shipley, Helen Clark, and Bill English all
resigned from parliament.

This is far from being what the pair of you call "unusual behaviour for
a politician".

Ref: "https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/key-says-hell-quit-politics-if-national-loses-election/SE5ILARILYBV7QFKADFW3HMXGA/"
Crash
2020-10-17 01:38:39 UTC
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:59:34 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
[...]
NZF did block the CGT, along with some other measures (such as the
proposal to enforce fishing quotas using on-board cameras). I don't
recall anything else that Labour committed to doing that was blocked
by NZF.
Post by Tony
Hopefully they will do better if they enter a coalition agreement with the
Greens and actually deliver on their main promises. We do not need another 3
years of non-delivery of vital policies.
Agreed. I hope we get a government that will be under pressure to
deliver without the 'handbrake' excuse for failure.

Any such handbrake on vital policies will necessarily be characterised by the countervailing pressures on funding from whatever source(s), here or overseas and the stringent need for prudent setting and maintaining of priorities. We owe a lot of loot, yes, but it is as yet by no means disastrous; we still score well into the A's when it comes to this country's creditworthiness, in which few of our OECD partners can rightfully claim to match us. We still have plenty of wiggle room. Mustn't grumble, aye.
George
2020-10-16 19:12:02 UTC
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 15:38:42 +1300
Post by Crash
[...]
I am always suspicious of polls.
Especially when done by our fake news system.
Ask the same people the same questions get the same answers
Agree. How can asking a group of 1300 people give an accurate result. Typical garbage from over educated idiots!
Mutlley
2020-10-16 20:14:09 UTC
[...]
You're correct but the plebs aren't voting for labor but the Cindy
factor. Without her there they would be nobody. I just hope the
marxist Greens don't get in as the wealth (envy) tax will be their
bottom line along with a lot of outer bottom lines that won't be good
for NZ..
Crash
2020-10-17 01:33:38 UTC
Post by Mutlley
Post by Crash
[...]
Agreed - and this is why Collins harped on about it but with poor
focus on her logic for doing so. Labour might commit to 'no new
taxes' but if the Greens are needed to get a block of 61+ MPs, what
then if the Greens insist on a wealth tax as the price of their
support? Labour should walk away from a coalition deal and offer only
confidence-and-supply with no wealth tax to the Greens. The Greens,
after all, have no-where else to go.