Hate speech back on the addenda!
2020-09-24 11:09:40 UTC
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/labour-promise-tougher-hate-speech-laws-if-re-elected#_=_

Vote Labour and kiss freedom of speech good bye. Though it may have just been Ardern trying to get Islamist to vote Labour. We don't need hate speech laws we need freedom of speech. After all you can still sue for defamation and slander which covers things well enough.
George
2020-09-24 20:03:29 UTC
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 04:09:40 -0700 (PDT)
Post by John Bowes
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/labour-promise-tougher-hate-speech-laws-if-re-elected#_=_
Vote Labour and kiss freedom of speech good bye. Though it may have
just been Ardern trying to get Islamist to vote Labour. We don't need
hate speech laws we need freedom of speech. After all you can still
sue for defamation and slander which covers things well enough.
Which should be a major point in all and any interactions with
governments of all hues.
And substantial costs to those falsely accused of libel/defamation as a
tactic to shut them up
Rich will love it when the bastards make adverse comments about Labour/Green hate speech!
Byker
2020-09-24 22:08:07 UTC
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/labour-promise-tougher-hate-speech-laws-if-re-elected#_=_
Vote Labour and kiss freedom of speech good bye. Though it may have just
been Ardern trying to get Islamist to vote Labour. We don't need hate
speech laws we need freedom of speech. After all you can still sue for
defamation and slander which covers things well enough.
It seems that the U.S. is about the only Western country left
on earth that doesn't have "hate speech" laws on the books.
And you wonder why so many Americans won't vacation abroad...
Janithor
2020-09-25 01:59:07 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Byker
Post by John Bowes
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/labour-promise-tougher-hate-speech-laws-if-re-elected#_=_
Vote Labour and kiss freedom of speech good bye. Though it may have just
been Ardern trying to get Islamist to vote Labour. We don't need hate
speech laws we need freedom of speech. After all you can still sue for
defamation and slander which covers things well enough.
It seems that the U.S. is about the only Western country left
on earth that doesn't have "hate speech" laws on the books.
And you wonder why so many Americans won't vacation abroad...
They're pushing for it here. I can't fathom my own government telling
me what I can or can't say about politics or culture. The far left is
dangerous indeed.
Rich80105
2020-09-25 04:50:10 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Byker
Post by John Bowes
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/labour-promise-tougher-hate-speech-laws-if-re-elected#_=_
Vote Labour and kiss freedom of speech good bye. Though it may have just
been Ardern trying to get Islamist to vote Labour. We don't need hate
speech laws we need freedom of speech. After all you can still sue for
defamation and slander which covers things well enough.
It seems that the U.S. is about the only Western country left
on earth that doesn't have "hate speech" laws on the books.
And you wonder why so many Americans won't vacation abroad...
They're pushing for it here. I can't fathom my own government telling
me what I can or can't say about politics or culture. The far left is
dangerous indeed.
Who has old you what you can or cannot say abouts politics or culture?
I had thought the concern was more about material like the
Christchurch shooter's manfesto, or the video that he live-streamed.

Our system for banning objectionable print and film does not attract a
lot of controversy, but the detail of any prposed legislation has not
been set out - I doubt it would be agreed quickly, but it is
reasonable for a respnsible government to consider the concerns that
arose from the shooting and see if a consensus can be reached.
John Bowes
2020-09-25 06:08:47 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Byker
Post by John Bowes
[...]
If we get a Labour/Green government it won't take them long to extend any hate speech laws to cover disagreement with the government. despotic and draconian bastards like them have been doing it for millenia. Just get off your arse and go read German and Russian history from the thirty's!
Our system is more than adequate Rich. Despotic buggers like Labour and the Greens want to stifle ALL disent. How long will it be before the pricks (and cunts) start opening up camps like the Chinese have for dissenters? you'd be in paradise and probably be welcomed as a camp commandant and good little communist lacky by Ardern, Genter, Davidson, Shaw and the Iranian tourist!
Gordon
2020-09-25 07:08:42 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Rich80105
Our system for banning objectionable print and film does not attract a
lot of controversy, but the detail of any prposed legislation has not
been set out - I doubt it would be agreed quickly, but it is
reasonable for a respnsible government to consider the concerns that
arose from the shooting and see if a consensus can be reached.
Our system is more than adequate Rich. Despotic buggers like Labour and the Greens want to stifle ALL disent. How long will it be before the pricks (and cunts) start opening up camps like the Chinese have for dissenters? you'd be in paradise and probably be welcomed as a camp commandant and good little communist lacky by Ardern, Genter, Davidson, Shaw and the Iranian tourist!
It has been said that the strength of a decmoracy is measured by the
acceptance of extreme views being expressed.

Things start to fall apart when they are expressed without respect.
Rich80105
2020-09-26 05:53:30 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Rich80105
[...]
In broad terms I agree, Gordon - tolerance of alternative views is
important, but we do need to be ready to act when that turns into
incitement to hurt or kill. It is a reality that this is sometimes
seen as political, which it is - a good example of tolerance has been
set by our PM, but she has also called for both NZ and international
action on those inciting violence, and the publication of extremist
views designed to create divisions and increase violence.

On the spectrum from authoritarian to libertarian, National is the
most authoritarian, but on some issues at least ACT is the most
libertarian, followed by the Green Party, with Labour being more
libertarian than National but less so than the Green Party. David
Farrar is an example of a clear National supporter who is probably to
the right of National on economic issues, but at least as libertarian
as ACT. The issue is seen by many through Jacinda Ardern's emphasis on
kindness, and Judith Collins reputation as "crushing" opposing
parties. When it comes to allowing, or at least not being able to
stop, live broadcasts of atrocities as happened with the Christchurch
Shooter, there are conflicting issues at play. We do not object to
views that we do not share, but we tend to have a fundamental respect
for life and for protection of our people that makes it abhorrent that
such videos may be seen by New Zealanders. From National it may be
more from a "Laura Norder" viewpoint, from others more from wanting to
avoid incitement to violence, but I suspect actions to ban such
publication may well be supported or resisted by indicviduals from all
political parties, depending on where they find a 'balance' between
conflicting preferences.

I agree that mutual respect is important; I believe Seymour's rise has
a lot to do with his having been unfailingly polite; his proposed
policies are extreme to many, but his acceptance without rancour that
others are entitled to hold different viewshas been such a contrast to
Bridges and Collins that he looks likely to bring in a bunch of new
MPs. As for NZ First in its day, such electorate largesse may well be
short lives as details of policies become clearer.
John Bowes
2020-09-26 11:06:41 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Rich80105
[...]
We have laws already for people who incite violence Rich. We don't need any hate speech laws that will remove our freedom of speech!
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Only authoritarian governments use hate speech laws Rich and it isn't National calling for them but your despotic Labour/Green snowflakes!
Pity you can't respect those who disagree with you Rich. Long may your hubris low onto these pages. Remember: As ye sow, so shall you reap!
James Christophers
2020-09-27 02:27:25 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Byker
Post by John Bowes
[...]
New Zealand social and political history has no parallels with the Russian and German histories that - directly through cause and effect - led to the monumental upheavals and subsequent repression in both countries. Historically, both our major parties are characterised by a now-proven form of democratic liberal socialism that developed after WW2 and which nowadays exists and thrives across much of the world. Whatever you may like to pretend, this is unlikely to change any time soon. In fact, it is our essentially stable politics and orderly self-governance that earn a mere five million souls countless favours in terms of financing and international top-table diplomacy, our anti-nuclear policy notwithstanding.

The only serious threat to New Zealand is its own complacency, born of its remoteness and its observed unthreatening and unchallenging character.
Our system for banning objectionable print and film does not attract a
lot of controversy, but the detail of any prposed legislation has not
been set out - I doubt it would be agreed quickly, but it is
reasonable for a respnsible government to consider the concerns that
arose from the shooting and see if a consensus can be reached.
Our system is more than adequate Rich. Despotic buggers like Labour and the Greens want to stifle ALL disent. How long will it be before the pricks (and cunts) start opening up camps like the Chinese have for dissenters? you'd be in paradise and probably be welcomed as a camp commandant and good little communist lacky by Ardern, Genter, Davidson, Shaw and the Iranian tourist!
It has been said that the strength of a decmoracy is measured by the
acceptance of extreme views being expressed.
Neatly mirrored by this group's indulgences towards the Little Trentham Troll.
As with the Little Trentham Troll, which is doubtless why his demented yapping receives little if any respect in return.
John Bowes
2020-09-27 04:45:17 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Byker
Post by John Bowes
[...]
New Zealand's history is following in the footsteps of Hitler and Stalin, Keith. Your ignorance of history from the 30's doesn't surprise me. As it's only an avoidance of the truth that you practice when the facts don't fit your agenda!
Post by James Christophers
The only serious threat to New Zealand is its own complacency, born of its remoteness and its observed unthreatening and unchallenging character.
BULLSHIT! Your overopinionated bullshit is no replacement for honesty and the facts of life Keith!
[...]
Rather have that than the sort of droning defence of the dross you peddle in your very own abusive way Keith :)
Only from hubris filled fools like you and Rich.
James Christophers
2020-09-27 22:05:13 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Byker
Post by John Bowes
[...]
Not even close.

Meanwhile, every year tens of thousands from around the world, including educated New Zealanders who actually know some history, visit Highgate cemetary in north London to view this:

https://tinyurl.com/yysse3m8
Fact: I personally **lived** that history by the day and by the hour. Our home was no farther from the direct and overwhelming threat of totalitarian rule than the distance between your home and Masterton. I am the sole survivor of a family wiped out by a totalitarian force during an incendiary bombing raid in 1941.
John Bowes
2020-09-28 03:32:29 UTC
Post by Janithor
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Byker
Post by John Bowes
[...]
If they knew history they'd be avoiding that nasty littles bastards gravee Keith. Though I am led to wonder if they visit it through admiration or just to spit on it. I have read reports the gravestone requires frequent cleaning. btw wtf is a cemetary?
Your ignorance of history from the 30's doesn't surprise me.
Fact: I personally **lived** that history by the day and by the hour. Our home was no farther from the direct and overwhelming threat of totalitarian rule than the distance between your home and Masterton. I am the sole survivor of a family wiped out by a totalitarian force during an incendiary bombing raid in 1941.
So your problem is senility probably with a dash of alzheimer's is it Keith. Or are you just lying to bolster your ego as you so often do!