The incompetence of the government is boundless
2021-07-21 10:00:34 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone

It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Rich80105
2021-07-21 10:23:42 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Absolutely JohnO - a lot of luck. At over 140 days since any community
infection, it is possible that we are the luckiest country in the
world. Are you aware of any country that has been luckier in its
experience of a low percentage of infections and deaths, and now a
long period where residents are largely able to go about their daily
life without having to overly worry about the pandemic.

Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
John Bowes
For once there is some honesty in your post Rich! I'd say well done if you'd meant it and weren't just doing your usual distracting sarcastic bullshit!
BR
2021-07-21 16:58:25 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Absolutely JohnO - a lot of luck. At over 140 days since any community
infection, it is possible that we are the luckiest country in the
world. Are you aware of any country that has been luckier in its
experience of a low percentage of infections and deaths, and now a
long period where residents are largely able to go about their daily
life without having to overly worry about the pandemic.
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
The threat from covid is turning out to be nearly as much bullshit as
man made climate change.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Rich80105
2021-07-21 20:17:22 UTC
Post by BR
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Absolutely JohnO - a lot of luck. At over 140 days since any community
infection, it is possible that we are the luckiest country in the
world. Are you aware of any country that has been luckier in its
experience of a low percentage of infections and deaths, and now a
long period where residents are largely able to go about their daily
life without having to overly worry about the pandemic.
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
The threat from covid is turning out to be nearly as much bullshit as
man made climate change.
Tell that to Fiji . . . .
Bill.
Gordon
Both of them are real. In one case everyone is in agreement as to the cause.
BR
2021-07-22 08:58:19 UTC
Post by BR
The threat from covid is turning out to be nearly as much bullshit as
man made climate change.
Both of them are real. In one case everyone is in agreement as to the cause.
Why do you believe that?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
JohnO
2021-07-21 20:35:04 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Absolutely JohnO - a lot of luck. At over 140 days since any community
infection, it is possible that we are the luckiest country in the
world. Are you aware of any country that has been luckier in its
experience of a low percentage of infections and deaths, and now a
long period where residents are largely able to go about their daily
life without having to overly worry about the pandemic.
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
I'm glad that you agree with Professor Gorman and myself that NZ is getting away with dumb luck, Dickbot.

If Delta variant gets in we'll be fucked though, with our last-in-the-developed-world vaccination rate.
Gordon
2021-07-22 02:51:36 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Absolutely JohnO - a lot of luck. At over 140 days since any community
infection, it is possible that we are the luckiest country in the
world. Are you aware of any country that has been luckier in its
experience of a low percentage of infections and deaths, and now a
long period where residents are largely able to go about their daily
life without having to overly worry about the pandemic.
What has happened to date is history. The risk remains that a super Delta
outbreak will happen in NZ and the death rate will make the present total
look piddly.

What has happened in the past can not be changed. What we do to-day will
have an affect on tomorrow.

Going on about the past in a political spin way will not contain Covid-19.
Post by Rich80105
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
Nuie is the answer to your question. (It is not strickly a correct ansewer
as Nuie has done better than NZ)

To that, NZ is 185 on the list by cases out of 222 countries. So this leaves
37 countries which have had cases and many of them less than the 26 deaths New
Zealand has had.

https://virusncov.com/
Tony
2021-07-22 03:10:10 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor
Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Absolutely JohnO - a lot of luck. At over 140 days since any community
infection, it is possible that we are the luckiest country in the
world. Are you aware of any country that has been luckier in its
experience of a low percentage of infections and deaths, and now a
long period where residents are largely able to go about their daily
life without having to overly worry about the pandemic.
What has happened to date is history.
History is all he has, and it is not a pretty sight.
https://virusncov.com/
Rich80105
2021-07-22 05:35:47 UTC
On Wed, 21 Jul 2021 22:10:10 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Rich80105
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
Nuie is the answer to your question. (It is not strickly a correct ansewer
as Nuie has done better than NZ)
To that, NZ is 185 on the list by cases out of 222 countries. So this leaves
37 countries which have had cases and many of them less than the 26 deaths New
Zealand has had.
https://virusncov.com/
Nuie was not on the list at that url, Tony. What criteria did you use
for the comparison with New Zealand? I referred to days since the
last community infection which is not the same as the ranking on teh
list you have given . . .
Tony
2021-07-22 07:00:27 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
Nuie is the answer to your question. (It is not strickly a correct ansewer
as Nuie has done better than NZ)
To that, NZ is 185 on the list by cases out of 222 countries. So this leaves
37 countries which have had cases and many of them less than the 26 deaths New
Zealand has had.
https://virusncov.com/
Nuie was not on the list at that url, Tony. What criteria did you use
for the comparison with New Zealand? I referred to days since the
last community infection which is not the same as the ranking on teh
list you have given . . .
Who are you replying to?
Not me, not Jacinda and not Judith,
But who?
John Bowes
Probably the little voices only he can hear :)
Rich80105
2021-07-22 10:55:41 UTC
On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 02:00:27 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Rich80105
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
Nuie is the answer to your question. (It is not strickly a correct ansewer
as Nuie has done better than NZ)
To that, NZ is 185 on the list by cases out of 222 countries. So this leaves
37 countries which have had cases and many of them less than the 26 deaths New
Zealand has had.
https://virusncov.com/
Nuie was not on the list at that url, Tony. What criteria did you use
for the comparison with New Zealand? I referred to days since the
last community infection which is not the same as the ranking on teh
list you have given . . .
Who are you replying to?
Not me, not Jacinda and not Judith,
But who?
My apologioes Tony, I wrongly thought you may have an answer, but I
was so, so wrong - all you have are questions. Of course when I look
back it was Gordon who suggested Niue and gave the url. Sorry to have
confused you Tony. My bad.
Tony
2021-07-22 20:35:21 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
You only confused yourself. Or alternatively you deliberately answered the
wrong person as a way of insultoing someone else and then trying to hide.
Hmmm yes, the latter I think.

James Christophers
2021-07-22 04:02:51 UTC
Post by Rich80105
Which country would be the next most lucky, JohnO?
Nuie is the answer to your question. (It is not strickly a correct ansewer
as Nuie has done better than NZ)
How many airlines currently operate into Nuie, and which are they?
https://virusncov.com/
Mutlley
2021-07-22 05:43:09 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Absolutely JohnO - a lot of luck. At over 140 days since any community
infection, it is possible that we are the luckiest country in the
world. Are you aware of any country that has been luckier in its
experience of a low percentage of infections and deaths, and now a
long period where residents are largely able to go about their daily
life without having to overly worry about the pandemic.
What has happened to date is history. The risk remains that a super Delta
outbreak will happen in NZ and the death rate will make the present total
look piddly.
I disagree. The deathrate from this latest version is small compared
to the previous ones While the Indian version is contagious it
doesn't seem to be as deadly and don't quote Fiji and India which are
basically 3rd world countries.
Willy Nilly
2021-07-22 07:30:09 UTC
Post by Mutlley
The deathrate from this latest version is small compared
to the previous ones While the Indian version is contagious it
Quite right, the Delta variant is half-way to joining all other
coronaviruses as a member of the common cold family. This is because
it came out of the non-vaccinated population.

The danger is that a new variant will come out of the ranks of the
vaccinated -- and so be much more virulent and damaging. Which
variant will that be -- Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota? How about...
(drumroll) Xi?
Gordon
2021-07-22 02:29:02 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300363186/covid-19-nz-100-people-arrive-from-australia-without-predeparture-tests-but-government-still-not-checking-everyone
It's really a miracle we don't have delta variant COVID in NZ. As Professor Gorman says, we're operating on :dumb luck".
Anything is better than nothing as the saying goes. However, it seems that
the level of risk is creeping up. This is like driving a car without a
safety belt, chances are good that you will get to the destination without
crashing, but you may not. It happens.

Seems that this MIQ system, while it was set up to try and control the
outbreak, it has/is evolving into something new. Once again this needs
thinking through, where are the risks and what level are they.

If there is not enough staff to do the checks which the Government is
required then do them at the rate you can and let the queue grow. People
being able to slip through is simply not acceptable as it puts at risk the
rest of the population. Health and Safety mate!
Tony
2021-07-22 02:49:53 UTC
[...]
Goredon you are correct, it needs tghinking through. Trouble is there is no
senior minister that knows how to think things through. Spray bullets from the
hip and, hopefully one will do some harm (oops godd?).