COVID-19 success story? Not so fast...
2020-04-30 21:26:34 UTC
News articles nowadays are comparing nations' performance in
combatting CV19 and annointing winners and losers. But hey, we're
only part-way through the full story.

As is well-known, pandemics come in waves, and only disappear after
"herd immunity" is reached -- the "Spanish flu" of 1918-19 is
typical.. The absurd effort by media (e.g., Stuff) to label herd
immunity as "controversial" shows ignorance and that they're in
lockstep with some narrative..

The current lockdowns serve only to freeze the CV19 story at the
conclusion of the first wave, and defer the second & last waves til
later. Sweden is avoiding this by having no lockdown, and are trying
to have all the CV19 waves as a single longish wave, so achieving herd
immunity and bringing the CV19 story to a close. Media stories which
compare Sweden to fellow Nordic countries are ignoring that Sweden's
body count includes all CV19 waves whereas the other Nordic countries
have had wave 1 only.

New Zealand's strategy of extirpation requires the essential
denouement of a vaccine. If no vaccine is forthcoming, we are in deep
doo-doo, so let's put away the party whistles until later, hey?

So the news articles comparing nations' CV19 performances are like
writing the final stats when the game is only half over at best.
Sweden is closer to the finish line than any other, but the media
won't mention that for some narrative-driven reason.
Mutlley
2020-05-01 01:45:12 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
[...]
The WHO now thinks that the way Sweden handled it was the best way.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/who-lauds-sweden-as-model-for-resisting-coronavirus-lockdown/