One for the educationalists
2021-04-16 21:51:08 UTC
Sir Ken Robinson:

"We are educating people out of their creative capacities...Our education system has mined our minds in the way we strip-mine the earth for a particular commodity, and for a future it won’t serve."

“ (Quote) ‘If all the insects were to disappear from the earth, within 50 years all life on earth would end. If all human beings were to disappear from the earth, within 50 years, all forms of life would flourish.’ And he’s right.”

Firu
2021-04-17 18:30:36 UTC
"We are educating people out of their creative capacities...Our education system has mined our minds in the way we strip-mine the earth for a particular commodity, and for a future it won’t serve."
“ (Quote) ‘If all the insects were to disappear from the earth, within 50 years all life on earth would end. If all human beings were to disappear from the earth, within 50 years, all forms of life would flourish.’ And he’s right.”
http://youtu.be/iG9CE55wbtY
Not an educationalist myself. But me, and many like me have (or had
to, I'm retired now!) deal with the results of this every day.

The inability of younger people to to engage critical thinking
strategies or even extrapolate the knowledge they have is another
symptom of this educational strip mining. If it isn't in the
textbook, they don't know the answer. Any critical or creative
capacities are trained out of young minds in favour of learning
answers to pass exams.

This isn't a problem particular to NZ, I've seen it in the US and the
UK. And it's one of the resons a retired old fart like me can still
get work.
--
Comprehensionless imbecile (I don't understand)

Firu Toddo
being silly is a deliberate thing
James Christophers
2021-04-17 22:50:12 UTC
Post by Firu
Post by James Christophers
[...]
From day one I have never once known the dole queue, and for those very same reasons.

Robinson was such an astonishingly creative thinker and communicator. For me the two are interdependent. Everything he said makes you think - “You never think of Shakespeare at seven or having a father, do you?” (laughter – until that moment it had never dawned on anyone). Another clincher: "If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never be creative."

To me, laughter is mutual recognition and assent all in one. “Commonsense running on turbo.” - Clive James. It's an act of creation in itself.

My polymath father taught French and occasionally deputised in advanced maths at a small local grammar school. He retired in 1965 after 48 years of it. Years later in the 1970’s during a casual chat about his lifetime’s work, he quietly told me:

“Effective schooling elevates the consciousness. It not only stimulates and nurtures curiosity and creativity, but ensures these are with you for the rest of your life. Otherwise, it is all for nothing. But the way things are beginning to look now, I fear for it.” Prescience in spades...SOS Sir Ken Robinson et al.

I remarked he’d said schooling, not educating. “Yes, and if a teacher hasn’t intuitively grasped such a crucial distinction at the outset, he’s no teacher at all.”

He died in 1982. Both church and crematorium were standing room only.
Post by Firu
Comprehensionless imbecile (I don't understand)
Firu Toddo
being silly is a deliberate thing
An 80-plus Yorkshireman friend of ours once declared to a crowd of us, "In't it grand when yer old enough to be daft?" His reward? Laughing mutual recognition and assent all round.