Government as usual?
2020-09-16 22:14:29 UTC
For the last few months I have been monitoring Government press
releases:

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/releases

While this is simply an outlet for media (was 'press') release
announcements, I am surprised that these continue. I have not
monitored this activity prior to previous elections so I don't know if
the current situation is different to the period before past
elections.

Every media release is about decisions taken 'today' that affect
future Government actions. Given that we have a coalition Government
whose makeup was driven by the results of the 2017 election (which for
the first time delivered the biggest party into opposition) I would
have thought that such announcements would have ceased because after
the election we will have a new Parliament and a new Government.

These announcements set decisions in stone that the new government may
well reverse, regardless of whether it is led by National or Labour.
The new government, for example, may not be a coalition (there have
been just two such governments if I recall correctly) so even a
Labour-led government may choose to reverse some decisions because the
politics of the new government are different to those of the previous
government.

2020-09-17 06:54:41 UTC
[...]
The elected members of the House are still there, in the House and the
Government they formed still is in power.

After the election we will have another set of MPs who will form a
Government. Now it maybe the case that things change a wee bit or alot and
if this is the case then the out going lot should "do as suggested by the
incoming lot". Robert Muldoon said Nah

Anyhow, MPs need to be sworn in which takes some time.

Media releases as I see them are a report of what is happening in the
Governmental field, all topped up with some spin. Co-orporations do it as
well.

We have a much more relaxed system than say the US of A. Who have rules when
the election is held, come hell or high water, and when the outgoing
President takes over, noon 20 January following the elections. In the
current times. Used to be in March. Horses are not as fast as Airforce one.