A Threat to our Exports?
2021-07-20 04:01:01 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/125778344/the-carbon-border-tax-that-could-hit-nz-exports

"Milk, meat and metal exports could one day be stung with border
tariffs, if the country falls behind international efforts to cut
carbon."

Since we give significant subsidies for Tiwai Point, it is not
surprising that the owners of the smetler are talking about closing.

The we get to Milk and Meat. This is the sort of issue that explains
why Federated Farmers made little comment about the farmers taking
tractors for a ride a few days ago - they know that the time for
pretending we can avoid doing anything is fast running out. One option
of course is to continue to do nothing qabout the greenhouse gases
generated by farming and just accept that our producers are likely to
have to pay taxes when selling to the EU and possibly also the USA and
UK.
Tony
2021-07-20 04:37:50 UTC
[...]
Good, so let's just kill the only major export business this country has right
now. Or is likely to have for some years.
They are only primary producers after all, and they don't need utes, bicycles
will do and they will get even fitter.
Rich80105
2021-07-20 04:59:27 UTC
On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 23:37:50 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/125778344/the-carbon-border-tax-that-could-hit-nz-exports
"Milk, meat and metal exports could one day be stung with border
tariffs, if the country falls behind international efforts to cut
carbon."
Since we give significant subsidies for Tiwai Point, it is not
surprising that the owners of the smetler are talking about closing.
The we get to Milk and Meat. This is the sort of issue that explains
why Federated Farmers made little comment about the farmers taking
tractors for a ride a few days ago - they know that the time for
pretending we can avoid doing anything is fast running out. One option
of course is to continue to do nothing about the greenhouse gases
generated by farming and just accept that our producers are likely to
have to pay taxes when selling to the EU and possibly also the USA and
UK.
Good, so let's just kill the only major export business this country has right
now. Or is likely to have for some years.
Why on earth would you want to do that, Tony? Our farmers are among
the most efficient in the world. The changes to reduce emissions may
well be easier for us to achieve than farmers elsewhere; the ony
question is whether we are better doing enough ourselves to not have
our produce charges to get across a border, or just pay the taxes as
part of the cost of doing business.
What are you smoking, Tony?
Tony
2021-07-20 05:15:32 UTC
[...]
Not me, but you would love to.
Post by Rich80105
Our farmers are among
the most efficient in the world.
So why do you want to destroy them? Oh, because you have been told to by your
masters.
Post by Tony
They are only primary producers after all, and they don't need utes, bicycles
will do and they will get even fitter.
What are you smoking, Tony?
I have never smoked but I do occasionally indulge in sarcasm, pity you could
not recognise that obvious ploy to imitate most of your posts.
John Bowes
2021-07-20 06:50:09 UTC
[...]
So why the hell is your government abusing them Rich?
Post by Rich80105
The changes to reduce emissions may
well be easier for us to achieve than farmers elsewhere; the ony
question is whether we are better doing enough ourselves to not have
our produce charges to get across a border, or just pay the taxes as
part of the cost of doing business.
For some pie in the sky bogus science? Hell our emissions are less than infinitesimal already compared with the EU why should we be penalised so they can feel good?
He smokes nothing Rich. The real question is what drugs are you over using Rich?
Gordon
Conformation bias in action. How do you know that Tony is smoking anything?
JohnO
Yeah, and the demand will be backfilled by some other supplier with a higher GW footprint such as China or India. So make NZ bankrupt *and* increase GW emissions. Genius!
Tony
Stupidity personified, nobody does that better than this government.
Gordon
2021-07-20 08:17:58 UTC
[...]
Rich, your mind is a thing of wonder.

Still the way things are going we might be able to get humans to consume
electricity as food. EH (Electric Humans) rule okay!

How anyone can suggest that we give up farming when the planet is only just
producing enough food to keep everyone alive is beyond logic.

Logic would dictate that air travel is killed first.

Still, this "climate change" is the new religion, and a way to increase the
price of everything.
George Black
2021-07-20 19:53:53 UTC
[...]
The mantra of 'climate change' has been around since the 1960s in one
form or another...
All the dire predictions have come to naught.
Farming was supposed to have used all the goodness in the soil by 1980..
30 years time the Earth will be doing its thing and the crazies will
have found another 'we're all going to die' scenario
Tony
2021-07-20 20:44:46 UTC
[...]
Apparently we should do our best to convince all of those people who believe
that man is primarily responsible for climate change to become vegans.
John Bowes
2021-07-20 21:57:51 UTC
[...]
Or maybe just get them to hold their breath till it goes away ;)
In the 1960s it was global cooling and the ozone hole... Today there are scientists wondering if what's happening is leading to another ice age. Then theirs the polar shift which could make the current worrys fade into insignificance!
James Christophers
2021-07-22 05:12:45 UTC
[...]
Think again, e.g:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2020/07/18/50-of-food-grown-globally-is-wasted-can-ai-fix-it/?sh=30f065e03a14

Incidentally, two GPs have independently told me that, on, wealthier western-style populations habitually eat approximately twice as much as they need. One of them referred to it as a generational disease of taught-and-learned greed and gluttony, this being prevalent at differing levels across all socio-economic classes.
Post by Gordon
Logic would dictate that air travel is killed first.
Still, this "climate change" is the new religion, and a way to increase the
price of everything.
This country is virtually 100% owned by monopolistic foreign suppliers and foreign bankers. It will always be a low-wage, low-value economy, being a price taker, never a price setter. Once you grip and accept this irreversible fact of life you'll find it easier to live with for the simple, obvious reason that nothing you may do or say can make one iota of difference, no matter the colour and policies of any drive-by government that may happen temporarily to occupy the Treasury benches.