Covid-19 elimination in sight
2021-09-10 04:38:17 UTC
Posted without comment

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-pfizer-vaccines-from-spain-mean-no-slowdown-in-rollout/47MJDDPNJI64HCDKPGYILLLEPY/

Latest: 200,000 vaccine doses from Spain have just arrrived in country.
Willy Nilly
2021-09-10 06:02:48 UTC
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
Rich80105
2021-09-10 06:41:52 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
You would prefer a New South Wales blowout of cases, Willy Nilly? Why
do you not want us to maintain an elimination strategy - and how many
deaths a day are acceptable to you?
John Bowes
We have been fairly lucky with this breakout Rich. If your stupid enough to believe we won't see another blow out your an even forse fucking imbecile than you appear to be!
Rich80105
2021-09-10 10:28:23 UTC
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 23:45:04 -0700 (PDT), John Bowes
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
You would prefer a New South Wales blowout of cases, Willy Nilly? Why
do you not want us to maintain an elimination strategy - and how many
deaths a day are acceptable to you?
We have been fairly lucky with this breakout Rich. If your stupid enough to believe we won't see another blow out your an even forse fucking imbecile than you appear to be!
It appears that you agree then with the strategy of seeking
elimination within NZ borders - it has been succesful; our economy is
significantly better than other countries'our hospitals are no being
overwhelmed, and we have had a very small muner of deaths. Yes we my
get another community infection and have to lock own again, but we are
gettig on very well with vaccinations, and work continues to seek
longer lasting and more effective booseter vaccines. We are fortunate
that, due to the clear policy of our government in following the best
scientific advice, we have achieved world-leading results in our covid
response. We can all feel proud of our team of 5 million, as well as
out enlightened leaders.
John Bowes
Nothing of the sort Rich! Elimination is the dream of such fucking imbeciles as you and your PM! Yes Rich those "boosters"are liable to be vaccines which help us attack the virus rather than an almost placebo that only lessens symptoms!
George Black
2021-09-10 19:56:58 UTC
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
You would prefer a New South Wales blowout of cases, Willy Nilly? Why
do you not want us to maintain an elimination strategy - and how many
deaths a day are acceptable to you?
We have been fairly lucky with this breakout Rich. If your stupid enough to believe we won't see another blow out your an even forse fucking imbecile than you appear to be!
Sadly you're correct.
There will come a time when in spite of hourly harangues from the dais
the viruses will hit (somewhat like the yearly influenza)..
I wonder what excuses they'll come up with then ????
Rich80105
2021-09-10 21:04:40 UTC
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
You would prefer a New South Wales blowout of cases, Willy Nilly? Why
do you not want us to maintain an elimination strategy - and how many
deaths a day are acceptable to you?
We have been fairly lucky with this breakout Rich. If your stupid enough to believe we won't see another blow out your an even forse fucking imbecile than you appear to be!
Sadly you're correct.
There will come a time when in spite of hourly harangues from the dais
the viruses will hit (somewhat like the yearly influenza)..
I wonder what excuses they'll come up with then ????
Excuses for what, George? It is now evident that opening up our border
to Australia was a little too risky - their premier is of course very
pbeat about their now being in a position to loosen their lockdown -
they only had 9 deaths yesterday:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=860919624413118&ref=watch_permalink
and

and Berejiklian has balanced health advice with other priorities
recognising that for their state at least living with the virus in the
community is inevitable. So confident is she that she has decided she
does not want to be associated with results from now on and is not
going to give daily updates any more . . .

Interesting that they have linked vaccination to the QR code, so that
if you have not been vaccinated you could not get admitted to a
restaurant. Doubtless we will hear how that goes in due course . . .

We are also doing well on vaccinations - I delayed my second one but
will get that on Monday) and that may change people's attitude to risk
Willy Nilly
2021-09-11 06:29:10 UTC
... It is now evident that ...
... that Rich didn't have it right before, but this time for sure!
and Berejiklian ...
Woah, anyone who can spell that name is paying far too close attention
We are also doing well on vaccinations - I delayed my second one but
will get that on Monday) and that may change people's attitude to risk
You mean we should doubt that Jacinda has got this? That the final
score will not be Jacinda 1, COVID 0? (let's don't talk about
Auckland's score).

But good luck and keep us posted.
Rich80105
2021-09-11 07:48:45 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
... It is now evident that ...
... that Rich didn't have it right before, but this time for sure!
For sure I have it right!
Post by Willy Nilly
and Berejiklian ...
Woah, anyone who can spell that name is paying far too close attention
Or others are not paying enough . .
Post by Willy Nilly
We are also doing well on vaccinations - I delayed my second one but
will get that on Monday) and that may change people's attitude to risk
You mean we should doubt that Jacinda has got this?
No, just that as more people are vaccinated there is likely to be
acall to open up - many do not realise that vaccination reduced the
likeihood of catching covid, and usually redces severity, but it does
not remove them ntirely, and boosters may be needed within a few
months
Post by Willy Nilly
That the final
score will not be Jacinda 1, COVID 0? (let's don't talk about
Auckland's score).
Jacinda is either less likely than average to get covid (because she
is sensible) or more likely (because she sees so many people). It is
unlikely that we have seen the last death in NZ from covid; certainly
we will see more infections in MIQ, and I suspect it is likely we will
have more in the community.
Post by Willy Nilly
But good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks Willy Nilly, good luck to you as well; despite the skills of
our ehealth professionals and the good judgement of our government I
believe we will need luck to emerge from covid without a few more
scares.
John Bowes
The score will always be Jacinda - 0, Covid 19 - 27+
James Christophers
But even so, they may well take pleasure in making it more widely known that the lady in question has Armenian roots.
John Bowes
2021-09-11 07:48:40 UTC
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
You would prefer a New South Wales blowout of cases, Willy Nilly? Why
do you not want us to maintain an elimination strategy - and how many
deaths a day are acceptable to you?
We have been fairly lucky with this breakout Rich. If your stupid enough to believe we won't see another blow out your an even forse fucking imbecile than you appear to be!
Sadly you're correct.
There will come a time when in spite of hourly harangues from the dais
the viruses will hit (somewhat like the yearly influenza)..
I wonder what excuses they'll come up with then ????
Excuses for what, George?
Excuse for the major breakout that is still to come for New Zealand Rich! As long as the government allows the virus inside our borders we're at risk. starting to look as though the MIQ crew are getting over tired (the likely story) or to complacent in their duty's!
Post by Rich80105
It is now evident that opening up our border
to Australia was a little too risky
It was obvious to many when the government started talking about travel bubbles with Australia!
http://youtu.be/7g6-8SsOZQc
and Berejiklian has balanced health advice with other priorities
recognising that for their state at least living with the virus in the
community is inevitable. So confident is she that she has decided she
does not want to be associated with results from now on and is not
going to give daily updates any more . . .
Interesting that they have linked vaccination to the QR code, so that
if you have not been vaccinated you could not get admitted to a
restaurant. Doubtless we will hear how that goes in due course . . .
Doubt if it'll gather legs Rich. First you have to have everyone own a cell phone.
We're about six bloody months behind where we should be you imbecile!
Gordon
2021-09-10 22:45:09 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
You would prefer a New South Wales blowout of cases, Willy Nilly?
Blowout? A slow creep upwards is more like it.
Post by Rich80105
Why
do you not want us to maintain an elimination strategy - and how many
deaths a day are acceptable to you?
This is a question the country is going to have to decide on/accept within a
year. The PM has said to date that one is one to many.
Rich80105
2021-09-10 23:41:01 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
You would prefer a New South Wales blowout of cases, Willy Nilly?
Blowout? A slow creep upwards is more like it.
Your obviously made a mistake in deleting the information you seek:
__________
[...]

___________________

But for a bit more, try a google search for "new south wales covid
cases" - it will give you two graphs, one for cases, the other for
deaths.

A slow creep is just not accurate for Covid cases or deaths.
Why
do you not want us to maintain an elimination strategy - and how many
deaths a day are acceptable to you?
This is a question the country is going to have to decide on/accept within a
year. The PM has said to date that one is one to many.
As indeed it is. The problem is that it is not like road deaths - yes
there are injuries only for many road accidents, but one death from
Covid probably represents a few hundred getting Covid, and from those
quite a few experiencing longer term effects and hospitalisation. With
a run down health system, we do not have the capacity for a huge
number of hospitalisations - and the lockdowns will have delayed some
of the hospital building programmes that are happening. In the
meantime, other countries are worse off than we are; and we can afford
to wait a while before opening up - there is a lot of work going on
for new vaccines (albeit some are for new variants).

I beleive the country recognises the wisdom of the government in
getting us this far, trusts them to continue to follow expert health
advice, and trusts them to also continue to manage our economy well.
Indications are that opposition parties are either carping at the
edges, or would have made ghastly mistakes as they have advocated in
the past. A choice between Dirty tricks or Kindness? Not much question
there . . .
Tony
2021-09-11 00:16:30 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
[...]
You believe that I am sure.
It is patently absurd.
The people (not the country) see the wisdom of keeping healthy; they do not
necessarily believe the government got there through wisdom or good management.
In fact a great many believe that the government got lucky. They panicked at
first and saw that it sort of worked and it was too late to do anything else by
then.
That is all. You had to bring politics into this didn't you? The discussion was
not political until you made it so - shame on you.
Willy Nilly
James, tell us again how "Covid-19 elimination is in sight".
Rich80105
2021-09-13 01:40:46 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
James, tell us again how "Covid-19 elimination is in sight".
When related to time, "in sight" is subjective. For the Opposition,
"In Sight" means it should have happened yesterday, or at least today
- but for most of us it means that it is now clearly getting closer
rather than further away - the number of new cases each is coming
down, but we also look at the number of unlinked cases to get an idea
of how close it is. Now that can change - for example we had an
over-entitled couple leave Auckland and then go to their South Island
house - doubtless justified by that favourite phrase of such types as
being "pretty legal," but in reality creating an unwanted risk; now
clearly contained. So it is not an exact measure - at present (and
before the 4pm announcments) my guess is that Auckland is likely to
come down to level 3 in the next 2 or 3 weeks, and that the rest of
New Zealand will not go to level 1 until that happens.

What's your guess Willy Nilly?
Willy Nilly
2021-09-13 01:59:02 UTC
- the number of new cases each is coming down ...
Er, we seem to be living in different worlds. As a famous DJ used to
say: "Open yer Buccaneers!"
my guess is that Auckland is likely to come down to level 3
in the next 2 or 3 weeks, and that the rest of
New Zealand will not go to level 1 until that happens.
What's your guess Willy Nilly?
My guess on what the government is going to do is:
-- South Island gets Level 1 today, NI stays as it is.
-- Next week, NI gets level 1 except for Wellington.
-- following week, government gives up on extirpating COVID because of
all the "grey COVID" out there, drops Auckland to Level 3 and
Wellington to Level 1;

Others can guess too! Anyone else? No guesses after 4PM.
Crash
2021-09-13 02:44:48 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
- the number of new cases each is coming down ...
Er, we seem to be living in different worlds. As a famous DJ used to
say: "Open yer Buccaneers!"
my guess is that Auckland is likely to come down to level 3
in the next 2 or 3 weeks, and that the rest of
New Zealand will not go to level 1 until that happens.
What's your guess Willy Nilly?
-- South Island gets Level 1 today, NI stays as it is.
-- Next week, NI gets level 1 except for Wellington.
-- following week, government gives up on extirpating COVID because of
all the "grey COVID" out there, drops Auckland to Level 3 and
Wellington to Level 1;
Others can guess too! Anyone else? No guesses after 4PM.
My guesses are:

-- Northland goes to level 1. Most wastewater outside Whangarei is on
septic tank so always clean
-- Auckland goes to level 5. That's the same as level 4 but for those
who are overweight and with pink hair supermarkets visits a strictly
limited to protein drinks.
-- The rest of NZ stays at level 2 because if it went to level 1 there
would not be enough Police to keep the peace in Auckland.

2021-09-13 02:07:38 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
James, tell us again how "Covid-19 elimination is in sight".
When related to time, "in sight" is subjective. For the Opposition,
"In Sight" means it should have happened yesterday, or at least today
- but for most of us it means that it is now clearly getting closer
rather than further away - the number of new cases each is coming
down,
Cases per day. 42,28,20,20,20,21,15,13,11,23,20,33. Coming down, yeah,
right.
Post by Rich80105
but we also look at the number of unlinked cases to get an idea
of how close it is. Now that can change -
So it could get further away.
Willy is not a betting man.
James Christophers
2021-09-13 03:08:09 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
James, tell us again how "Covid-19 elimination is in sight".
It is that perception **in terms** based on what was known at the time it was published - ref: Prof Shaun Hendy.
When related to time, "in sight" is subjective. For the Opposition,
"In Sight" means it should have happened yesterday, or at least today
- but for most of us it means that it is now clearly getting closer
rather than further away - the number of new cases each is coming
down,
Cases per day. 42,28,20,20,20,21,15,13,11,23,20,33. Coming down, yeah,
right.
You are seeing the variance pattern that occurs (explained by Dr Bloomfield during several updates) largely but not exclusively among families where the larger the family the more drawn out the progress of the exponential (sort-of) multiplication.
Willy is not a betting man.
James Christophers
2021-09-13 23:32:35 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
James, tell us again how "Covid-19 elimination is in sight".
It is that perception **in terms** based on what was known at the time it was published - ref: Prof Shaun Hendy.
Rod Jackson reckons another week is not enough. I think the government knows this but is sugar coating the bitter pill. One thing they are good at is sensing public opinion and the voter base is becoming weary of lockdowns.
So, no. Elimination not really in sight for stressed businesses who have no basis on which to plan. But even if the lockdown ends, in the total absence of a government plan, there'll just be another - it is as inevitable as this one was.
The first Smallpox vaccine (Cowpox derivative) was given in 1798. The WHO officially declared the disease completely eradicated in 1980. Worth pondering. Medical science has come a long way over the past 220 years, but even so, and with all the skills and knowledge now at the world's disposaI, I still wouldn't bet on the currently fast-mutating variants of Covid-19 being totally eradicated any time soon. So...

...no flippancy intended: in the interim - and it's a protracted one at that - what kind of a tangible, feasible plan can assure and secure some kind of normality both in economic terms and life in general while also coping with an all-pervading mercurial and mutating virus which appears capable of defying all attempts at its elimination and eventual eradication? Maybe I am putting this the wrong way, but as far as I know the already stretched research institutes have yet to come up with a 100% guaranteed fix, and as yet there seems to be no sign anywhere of one in prospect. In any case, as far as I know no current Covid-19 vaccine is better than 80% effective - most less so - and even then their efficacy is said to decline over only a few months. The smallpox scrape and polio dosing were for life - done and dusted. I received both and still have the smallpox scar to show for both of them. Not so today for the younger generations.
Unlike most countries, New Zealand is lagging on vaccination, despite its public willingness to get vaccinated, and New Zealand has *no* mid to long term strategy for what comes next. We have no goal, no target, no aspiration from the government of how we deal with endemic Covid.
You can bet the boffins and the economists will be working at it right now, but I reckon any such plans are unlikely to come from a five-minute back-of-an-envelope work-through. To date, now ahead, this virus stays ahead.
It will soon be two years from the start of COVID and our hospital system, critically our ICU network, is still woefully under-resourced.
When were they ever anything but? A bottomless money and resources pit. (One might rightfully observe that far too many people - and they are not necessarily thick or poor - exist not to keep themselves healthy but knowingly, wilfully to get sick - and at the exchequer's expense, not theirs. And that's where I'll leave it for now.)
We combine one of the slowest vaccine rollouts in the OECD with one of the lowest per capita ICU beds in the OECD. Yet we have hundreds of billions of dollars in debt to show for it.
Yet still manageable in Reserve Bank and credit-rating agency terms. Plus, a Covid-19 death rate that other much larger and wealthier populations would dump their entire governments for is not to be sneezed at either.
If only the government had the collective intelligence, experience and wisdom to come up with a plan and execute it.
We have a population of 5 million from which, inevitably, an excess of the brightest and best continually flee to infinitely greater and wider opportunities than are possible here. Those who don't remain to handle all the responsibilities that are undertaken in the larger, wealthier, better and more broadly educated and experienced countries by essentially the same range of disciplines but by a range of skills and talents drawn from a vastly wider and deeper pool.

So, taking these dogged, immutable factors into account, we could be doing a lot worse whichever lot are running the show, be it corporate clone seeking that backseat ride in a limo on his short and well-greased glide to a swift knighthood and the indulgences and the sinecures beyond, or a fish-shop operator who has the sheer guts and forthright, unadorned communication skills that count and that no one else in government or inopposition can even begin to aspire to, let alone emulate.
Tragic. And the younger generation currently whining about the cost of houses doesn't know what's going to hit them when this debt starts ballooning along with interest rates.
I prefer worrying to whining - less perjorative and judgemental towards those who actually do an honest, real-productivity day's work for their bread and self-esteem.

In any case, we're off on another tack now, but if one must, and to put it in a nutshell: in a perpetually stultified and perniciously low per-capita economy where the rampantly gluttonous zero-productivity wealth extractor can never be rampant or gluttonous enough, what else can you or the real-productivity young couple vainly struggling to get a foot on the ladder possibly or reasonably expect?
Rich80105
No bets - Willy did give a guess though
BR
2021-09-11 08:30:58 UTC
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:38:17 -0700 (PDT), James Christophers
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-delta-outbreak-pfizer-vaccines-from-spain-mean-no-slowdown-in-rollout/47MJDDPNJI64HCDKPGYILLLEPY/
Do you only ever post links to mainstream media sites?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Willy Nilly
John Bowes
2021-09-20 02:03:14 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by James Christophers
Posted without comment
Too late, your header already commented. Jacinda's boot will stay on
Auckland's neck until either it or COVID expires. Not looking good
for Auckland, I must say.
James, tell us again how "Covid-19 elimination is in sight".
You'll have to wait till the poor old bugger dozes off again :)