MP Matt King ——> DISTANCING FROM NGĀBUSH TRAITOUR HONE HARAWIRA
Ras
2020-05-21 07:43:59 UTC
https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/national-mp-social-distancing-rules-from-st-jacinda-are-rubbish/
Rich80105
2020-05-21 08:43:40 UTC
Post by Ras
https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/national-mp-social-distancing-rules-from-st-jacinda-are-rubbish/
This is just yet another "born to rule", "I know better than the
experts" stupid National MP. Having won his seat with only 38.3% of
the votes, a normal person would be a bit more careful - only 1400
ahead of peters, while Labour and the Greens took out over 10,000
votes. All it would take for King to lose is a small general swing or
one of the three governmetn parties to step aside.

Perhaps he knows he is on borrowed time and was just ''big-noting''
while he had the chance. Go join Aaron Gilmore, Matt King . . .
Crash
2020-05-21 22:36:43 UTC
Post by Ras
https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/national-mp-social-distancing-rules-from-st-jacinda-are-rubbish/
This is just yet another "born to rule", "I know better than the
experts" stupid National MP. Having won his seat with only 38.3% of
the votes, a normal person would be a bit more careful - only 1400
ahead of peters, while Labour and the Greens took out over 10,000
votes. All it would take for King to lose is a small general swing or
one of the three governmetn parties to step aside.
Perhaps he knows he is on borrowed time and was just ''big-noting''
while he had the chance. Go join Aaron Gilmore, Matt King . . .
Rich this shows how much you know about the Northland electorate.
While Kings comments were indeed out of line, he knows far better than
you the mood of the electorate - he is a popular local MP clearly
cementing his local popularity with his questioning of the vigilante
roadblocks set up in the electorate during the lock-down.

In 2017, Peters was the sitting MP. Now he is seen by many as having
abandoned the electorate because he is never here, and only ever took
an interest in it because of the strategic value of Northland to NZF
taking a seat off National in a by-election (2015). He has family
connections to the electorate but no long-standing personal
commitment. NZF is still to win this seat in a general election.
King, on the other hand, is a local. With no credible NZF candidate
(there were none in 2008, 2011 and 2014) King may well top 50% of the
vote.

Perhaps you might take a look at how well Labour have done before
commenting further about threats to National in this seat

2020-05-21 23:15:12 UTC
Post by Ras
[...]
I have no problem with him questioning the roadblocks, or having an
opinion that physical distancing rules are stupid, but for a
representative of a party that espouses compliance with the rule of
law to wilfully disregard a rule, and to involve staff at a retarant
in setting such a poor example, and in his response to this being
pointed out to him, you are indeed correct that he is out of line, and
that is what I was referring to.
Post by Crash
In 2017, Peters was the sitting MP. Now he is seen by many as having
abandoned the electorate because he is never here, and only ever took
an interest in it because of the strategic value of Northland to NZF
taking a seat off National in a by-election (2015). He has family
connections to the electorate but no long-standing personal
commitment. NZF is still to win this seat in a general election.
King, on the other hand, is a local. With no credible NZF candidate
(there were none in 2008, 2011 and 2014) King may well top 50% of the
vote.
As far as Northland feeling "abandoned" by Winston Peters, he was
perhaps sending a signal by being photographed fishing from the back
lawn of his residence in the electorate. I also understand some felt
''abandoned"" by the then National Party Transport Minister regarding
the 'ten bridges' pledge, and by the previous National MP for the
electorate. I have no idea whether NZ First will stand in the
electorate - Winston must surely retire at some stage!, but the votes
at the last election were:
Matt King (National) 15243
Winston Peters (NZ First) 13854
Willow-Jean Prime (Lab) 8599
Peter Hughes (Green) 1794

How confident of being re-elected do you think Matt King can be at
this time? - especially if one or two of Labour, NZ First and Green do
not stand a candidate in the electorate? 38% of electorate votes last
time does not make the electorate a safe National seat.
Post by Crash
Perhaps you might take a look at how well Labour have done before
commenting further about threats to National in this seat
I had looked at previous results - but you may well be correct; if
Northland wants a larrikin who does not sow any great care for the
safety of restaurant workers, who are we to argue with them?

And if NZ First did decide to stand again, and Labour decided to ''do
an Epsom" and have a candidate campaign only for list votes, what do
you think woulld happen?
John Bowes
2020-05-21 23:31:52 UTC
Post by Crash
Perhaps you might take a look at how well Labour have done before
commenting further about threats to National in this seat
I had looked at previous results - but you may well be correct; if
Northland wants a larrikin who does not sow any great care for the
safety of restaurant workers, who are we to argue with them?
And if NZ First did decide to stand again, and Labour decided to ''do
an Epsom" and have a candidate campaign only for list votes, what do
you think woulld happen?
Nice load of bullshit after your support of Clark going for bike rides and beach trips during lock down. guess for you it's business as usual with your Labour good, National bad attitude!

If what you proposed was done Rich? My bet is NZF would get a thrashing! After all the latest polls would indicate NZF is toast!
Crash
2020-05-23 08:44:37 UTC
Post by Crash
Perhaps you might take a look at how well Labour have done before
commenting further about threats to National in this seat
I had looked at previous results - but you may well be correct; if
Northland wants a larrikin who does not sow any great care for the
safety of restaurant workers, who are we to argue with them?
And if NZ First did decide to stand again, and Labour decided to ''do
an Epsom" and have a candidate campaign only for list votes, what do
you think woulld happen?
Simple really. King is popular locally for the reasons I have
previously posted and because he is a local. He made a mistake that
locals consider inconsequential with his failure to observe social
distancing.

NZF will not get the support Winston got in the 2015 by-election. It
is likely Winston himself knows this and will not stand in the
upcoming General Election (for a second time) because Winston does not
do heavy defeats. NZF have long ignored this electorate and the
locals no longer support candidates who exploit family connections to
try to deliver a bloody-nose result to a major party that has no local
connection.

So normal service for National has been resumed. King is a strong
local National candidate, as was John Carter before him.

2020-05-23 10:29:13 UTC
Post by Crash
[...]
You may well be "Right" - the only question is whether 38% last time
will be enough this time . . .
Crash
2020-05-23 23:53:25 UTC
Post by Crash
[...]
No Rich - the question is whether NZF will bother standing a candidate
again. National have won this electorate with in every MMP general
election, with vote percentages that have on occasion gone as high as
57.55%.

While King polled an MMP all-time low of 38.3% last time, historically
this is just a blip in terms of both that number and NZF standing a
candidate. NZF, regardless of who the candidate is, will not see
those levels of support again because King is a vocal local getting
the job done.

2020-05-24 02:54:40 UTC
Post by Crash
[...]
Thank you for answering the question I posed. Certainly Sabin was a
disaster, and King is also far from being another John Carter; we will
have to see who stands in the electorate; but King was certainly not
so smart this close to an election; I can't remember whether Carter
got in again after the Hone incident.
Crash
2020-05-24 04:00:31 UTC
Post by Crash
[...]
He most certainly was not. Anyone who wins an electorate with over
50% of the vote is clearly popular with the local voters. Or are you
saying the opposition he trounced were weak?

The issues around his resignation from Parliament are indeed
questionable, but his local popularity is and was not.
Post by Rich80105
and King is also far from being another John Carter;
Irrelevant. John Carter remains a popular local.
Post by Rich80105
we will
have to see who stands in the electorate; but King was certainly not
so smart this close to an election; I can't remember whether Carter
got in again after the Hone incident.
The 'Hone incident' was in 1995. The Honourable John Carter QSO was
first elected in 1987 (Bay of Islands), re-elected in the equivalent
electorate in every general election up to and including 2008. In
2010 he was appointed High Commissioner to the Cook Islands. In 2013
he was elected Mayor of the Far North District Council and is still in
office. The 'Hone incident' clearly had no lasting impact and many of
his voters considered it a harmless humorous prank that exposed the
hypocrisy that Carter was pilloried for playing a similar character to
one played by Billy T James.

Carter has considerable local popularity. Sabin was also popular
locally as King is now. None of them were Labour, Green or (lately)
NZF Rich so that explains your tirade against them. Winston has the
distinction of being the only local MP never elected in a general
election.

2020-05-24 05:33:10 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Indeed at the by-election in 2015 the popularity of Sabin had
apparently not carried over to Osborne, and Winston suffered from
Willow-Jean Prime being a lot more popular than in 2015, and the Green
party also standing - of course some may have voted for Labour or
Green on an "anyone but Winston" basis, we cannot really know. Stil,
it does seem that the high support for National from the Carter years
may be over - you are correct that he was well-respected, and the Hone
incident was partly blamed on John Banks at the time as well - he
must have known, or perhaps had prompted the call. If either Labour
and the Greens "did a Goldsmith", or Winston did the same, it could be
interesting to see what happens. But I suspect none of that will
happen and there will be a National MP for the seat after November.
John Bowes
2020-05-21 23:27:29 UTC
Post by Ras
https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/national/national-mp-social-distancing-rules-from-st-jacinda-are-rubbish/
This is just yet another "born to rule", "I know better than the
experts" stupid National MP. Having won his seat with only 38.3% of
the votes, a normal person would be a bit more careful - only 1400
ahead of peters, while Labour and the Greens took out over 10,000
votes. All it would take for King to lose is a small general swing or
one of the three governmetn parties to step aside.
Perhaps he knows he is on borrowed time and was just ''big-noting''
while he had the chance. Go join Aaron Gilmore, Matt King . . .
Sure the guy's an idiot. but then we have a PM who got the job by bribing Winston after her party won the election after getting less than 38.3% of the vote....