Government information on 'leaving your house' totally inadequate
2020-05-02 22:48:22 UTC
With our COVID-19 Alert level now at 3, all major retailers and many
small retail in my area have adopted variations on online ordering and
pickup and/or delivery. Many big-box retailers have provisions for
click-and-collect. My local takeaway allows a phone-and-collect
process with tap-and-go payment mandatory. Bunnings, Mitre10, Repco
are all open for collecting goods pre-ordered online and all the
fast-food restaurant drive-thrus are open.

Curiously though, the COVID-19 website shows this about leaving home:

https://covid19.govt.nz/individuals-and-households/travelling-and-moving-around/leaving-your-house/

"Just like Alert Level 4, people should stay at home as much as
possible except for exercise, going to work or school, or visiting
local services like the doctor, pharmacy or supermarket."

In effect, you can leave home to go shopping. So you can pick up your
click-and-collect order, use a drive-thru at a fast-food restaurant,
or go and get your fish-and-chips order. Prior to the lock-down I was
looking at buying a ride-on mower and last week the retailer selling
my preferred model re-opened and the order has been placed. They also
fixed my weed-eater. All of this done at their showroom (with strict
COVID-19 protocols in place).

My point is that leaving home is no-where near as restricted as level
4. There is a wide variety of valid reasons to be out and about, but
the COVID-19 website does not reflect this. Travel restrictions
'outside your region' are still in place and these should remain
detailed, but the website should redefine reasons to leave your house
and in this respect, remove all references to level 4 restrictions.

As things stand, there is a significant disconnect on what is
permitted on this official Government website. I will continue to
leave home to travel to local retailers.

2020-05-02 23:22:33 UTC
[...]
I agree Crash, that ability to go to shops on the basis of the
required distancing rules has not been adequately changed

The official website emphasis the levels rather than the current
requirements - I had to click more than once to get:
https://covid19.govt.nz/individuals-and-households/travelling-and-moving-around/leaving-your-house/

and that as you say does not cover common reasons for leaving home
that differ from Level 4.

Some is covered here:
https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/#businesses-and-employees
but that is not likely to be a first look for consumers.

I agree that this should have been planned a lot earlier by the
approriate department and changes to each age considered - this one is
not rocket science.
Gordon
2020-05-03 02:53:08 UTC
[...]
Those two statements above are not in conflict or inconsistant. However they
appear confusing to some. Which let us face it is going to happen when there
are fuzzy situations.

While it may appear that the Government has taken on a communist/facist
role. There has been the message that everyone has to not do certain things,
as the majority of people agree.
Post by Crash
My point is that leaving home is no-where near as restricted as level
4. There is a wide variety of valid reasons to be out and about, but
the COVID-19 website does not reflect this.
Okay, now we have to apply some cunning. People will tend, in general to
break/push the rules. So we set slightly tigher rules. Also rules for the
masses have to be simple and clear. Not because the masses are simple but it
takes time for a simple rule to filter through society and complex ones just
cause confusion.

Of course logic dictates tht as businesses are allowed to operate under
level3 rules, customers need to be part of that.

In my view the Government could have done better on how we are trying to
achieve whatever. Level 4 is about everyone staying in the same place and
not visit others, level 3 is about getting the businesses up and running,
those who can do so under the rules. We just want to make sure that there is
no unknown Covid cases, and when they appear they can be ring fenced.
Crash
2020-05-03 05:04:41 UTC
[...]
Except it is not fuzzy. The rules should be simple:
---
You can leave home to go within your region:

- For urgent treatment from your Doctor, Pharmacy or Dentist.
- To purchase goods at retail stores permitted to trade.
- To get exercise. Your bubble should exercise alone and maintain
social distancing if others are encountered.
- To go to work or school, but only where working from home or
distance learning is not possible.
---

Note that I have omitted the word 'essential'. Level 4 is based on
essential services, level 3 is more widely defined and allows
non-essential services to operate.
Post by Crash
[...]
Yes - but we need to have simple rules as I have outlined above.

2020-05-03 05:42:30 UTC
[...]
Some fellow feeling from half a world away:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/01/why-can-i-visit-a-diy-shop-but-not-a-museum-this-total-lockdown-is-failing
Rich80105
2020-05-03 06:48:50 UTC
On Sat, 2 May 2020 22:42:30 -0700 (PDT), James Christophers
[...]
Let us be thankful we are not in England!

Interesting that Sweden was being used by a number of commentators as
a good example to follow - but they are now well into a "second wave"
and are not usually included in discussions about removing
restrictions. There is a date of 1 May, but I wonder if it was
written a bit earlier.

Many of the inconsistencies mentioned by Jenkins just do not exist
here, and those that we do identify do seem to be clarified fairly
quickly - although we are not perfect there as identified above!

The risk of fatality also missed the risk of permanent damage to the
respiratory system - incidence may be low, but crippling for hte
future for some.