How the world sees us - Aljazeera
2021-09-23 22:39:45 UTC
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/20/new-zealand-is-on-its-way-of-eradicating-covid-19-again
JohnO
2021-09-23 23:08:20 UTC
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/20/new-zealand-is-on-its-way-of-eradicating-covid-19-again
Nope.

I know you are a simpleton Dickbot, but even you should notice that this is a clearly stated *opinion* of one "Glenn Johnson", a noted left leaning *New Zealand* reporter.

So it is not how the "World sees us" or anything like it.

You are an idiot.
Rich80105
2021-09-24 00:14:28 UTC
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/20/new-zealand-is-on-its-way-of-eradicating-covid-19-again
Nope.
I know you are a simpleton Dickbot, but even you should notice that this is a clearly stated *opinion* of one "Glenn Johnson", a noted left leaning *New Zealand* reporter.
So it is not how the "World sees us" or anything like it.
You are an idiot.
It is published by Aljezeera - so it reaches a worldwide audence. Few
in New Zealand are likely to read Ajezeera though - it is worth
looking at what is being said about New Zealand internationally.
Rich80105
2021-09-24 01:42:38 UTC
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/20/new-zealand-is-on-its-way-of-eradicating-covid-19-again
Nope.
I know you are a simpleton Dickbot, but even you should notice that this is a clearly stated *opinion* of one "Glenn Johnson", a noted left leaning *New Zealand* reporter.
So it is not how the "World sees us" or anything like it.
You are an idiot.
It is published by Aljezeera - so it reaches a worldwide audence. Few
in New Zealand are likely to read Ajezeera though - it is worth
looking at what is being said about New Zealand internationally.
Like these?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/19/poor-jacinda-ardern-trapped-arrogant-zero-covid-policy/
Regrettably not free from a paywall, but from the url, do you agree
with them that it is arrogant to not follow the UK response?

From: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
UK: Cases per 1M pop: 110,736 Deaths per 1M pop: 1,988

NZ: Cases per 1M pop: 827 Deaths per 1M pop: 5

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-health-economy Sadly there are no
NZ statistics here, but the conclusion may well be valid for us "Have
countries with lower death rates seen larger downturns? Comparing
the COVID-19 death rate with the latest GDP data, we in fact see the
opposite: countries that have managed to protect their population’s
health in the pandemic have generally also protected their economy
too." Certainly NZ did not lose 21.7% of GDP in the 2019 to 2020
year . . .
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mask-wearers-and-new-zealand-languish-in-a-covid-prison-but-the-rest-of-us-are-finally-free-0qtzbbh63
Again a paywall. But from the title, we could well ask "free of what?"
https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1427731961330556933?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1427731961330556933%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthespinoff.co.nz%2Fmedia%2F18-08-2021%2Fa-single-case-and-a-never-ending-nightmare-world-media-react-to-nz-lockdown%2F
A bit like Mike Hosking isn't it? One person's opinion designed to
collect click bait - the comments don't appear too effusive though . .
.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/us-virus-expert-criticises-nzs-covid-19-approach-unsustainable
The great world leaders; the USA

UK: Cases per 1M pop: 130,578 Deaths per 1M pop: 2,109
Economy - only -9.5% in chart compared with -21.7% for the UK

It must be hard to see that another approach has been possible here -
they were forced to "learn to live with it" by early political
decisions. We may change our approach as circumstances change, but
perhaps there have been advantages in excellent communication by
government, a community respect for life, and the 'team of 5 million"
concept which has not seen the level of protest here that we have seen
elsewhere.
See:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126260953/covid19-nz-lockdown-movement-plummeted-by-just-as-much-in-2021-as-2020

Perhaps we trust our health professionals more than in some other
countries, and our politicians have been just a bit bolder:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-delta-outbreak-hawaii-anti-vaccine-leader-has-regrets-after-getting-virus/2TAYKOFBIHRMFAQIDRCHC6Q4XQ/
JohnO
From: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
UK: Cases per 1M pop: 110,736 Deaths per 1M pop: 1,988
NZ: Cases per 1M pop: 827 Deaths per 1M pop: 5
Yep. Lockdown plus sparse population plus not putting millions through the London Underground helps. But that was then. Now, under Delta, UK has all but ended restrictions 2 months ago and there's been no explosion of deaths, no overwhelming of hospitals.
Post by Rich80105
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-health-economy Sadly there are no
NZ statistics here, but the conclusion may well be valid for us "Have
countries with lower death rates seen larger downturns? Comparing
the COVID-19 death rate with the latest GDP data, we in fact see the
opposite: countries that have managed to protect their population’s
health in the pandemic have generally also protected their economy
too." Certainly NZ did not lose 21.7% of GDP in the 2019 to 2020
year . . .
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mask-wearers-and-new-zealand-languish-in-a-covid-prison-but-the-rest-of-us-are-finally-free-0qtzbbh63
Again a paywall. But from the title, we could well ask "free of what?"
Free of restrictions, dummy.
Post by Rich80105
https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1427731961330556933?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1427731961330556933%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fthespinoff.co.nz%2Fmedia%2F18-08-2021%2Fa-single-case-and-a-never-ending-nightmare-world-media-react-to-nz-lockdown%2F
A bit like Mike Hosking isn't it? One person's opinion designed to
collect click bait - the comments don't appear too effusive though . .
My you are selective, Dickbot.
Post by Rich80105
.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/us-virus-expert-criticises-nzs-covid-19-approach-unsustainable
The great world leaders; the USA
That guy is a scientist. Follow the science? Only when it agrees with your ideology if you are Dickbot.
Post by Rich80105
UK: Cases per 1M pop: 130,578 Deaths per 1M pop: 2,109
Already discussed above.
Post by Rich80105
Economy - only -9.5% in chart compared with -21.7% for the UK
Easy to pump up the economy by borrowing and handing out money. And we will be paying for it for decades. Made worse by Grunter spending COVID recovery money on everything from school lunches to cameras on fishing boats.
Firu
2021-09-24 20:25:44 UTC
Yep. Lockdown plus sparse population plus not putting millions through the London Underground helps. But that was then. Now, under Delta, UK has all but ended restrictions 2 months ago and there's been no explosion of deaths, no overwhelming of hospitals.
Really? over 30K infections daily, over 7K hospitalisations, daily
deaths over 150. Doesn't sound like a success.

And de Pfeffel reckons those numbers will go up further as winter
progresses. He even accepts Christmas could be cancelled if it all gets
out of hand again.

The UK health service is turning emergencies away, people being treated
in corridors, two day waits for a hospital bed, routine surgery being
cancelled. Sounds overwhelming.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of covid;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

{Soz Will, but it sort of fits)
James Christophers
2021-09-24 22:05:32 UTC
Post by Firu
Post by JohnO
[...]
Boris Johnson verbatim, December 24 2020:
‘We have taken back control of laws and our destiny. We have taken back control of every jot and tittle of our regulation in a way that is complete and unfettered.’ - Boris Johnson

Nine short months later?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/lines-u-k-gas-stations-brexit-covid-19-global-price-n1280012

https://news.sky.com/story/energy-crisis-why-gas-prices-have-soared-and-left-uk-facing-prospect-of-food-shortages-12412951

'Parting is such sweet sorrow' - Ursula van Leyen, President of the European Commission.
John Bowes
2021-09-24 04:36:44 UTC
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/20/new-zealand-is-on-its-way-of-eradicating-covid-19-again
Nope.
I know you are a simpleton Dickbot, but even you should notice that this is a clearly stated *opinion* of one "Glenn Johnson", a noted left leaning *New Zealand* reporter.
So it is not how the "World sees us" or anything like it.
You are an idiot.
It is published by Aljezeera - so it reaches a worldwide audence. Few
in New Zealand are likely to read Ajezeera though - it is worth
looking at what is being said about New Zealand internationally.
The world sees New Zealand as another Marxist dictatorship in the making Rich!
btw it's Aljazeera ;)
Gordon
2021-09-24 04:56:08 UTC
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/9/20/new-zealand-is-on-its-way-of-eradicating-covid-19-again
Nope.
I know you are a simpleton Dickbot, but even you should notice that this is a clearly stated *opinion* of one "Glenn Johnson", a noted left leaning *New Zealand* reporter.
So it is not how the "World sees us" or anything like it.
You are an idiot.
It is published by Aljezeera - so it reaches a worldwide audence. Few
in New Zealand are likely to read Ajezeera though - it is worth
looking at what is being said about New Zealand internationally.
Quote from the link

The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not
necessarily reflect Al Jazeera’s editorial stance.

Glen Johnson
A New Zealand reporter
Johnson is a New Zealand reporter who worked as a foreign correspondent
for more than a decade, mostly out of the Middle East and North Africa.

Unquote

All right let us move on.