MIQ capacity available but not used
2021-03-29 19:31:32 UTC
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2021/03/managed-isolation-could-be-expanded-by-about-3000-rooms-but-government-has-chosen-not-to.html

'Be Kind' is hypocritical when we have with split families caused by
the MIQ bottleneck.

2021-03-29 21:13:55 UTC
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2021/03/managed-isolation-could-be-expanded-by-about-3000-rooms-but-government-has-chosen-not-to.html
'Be Kind' is hypocritical when we have with split families caused by
the MIQ bottleneck.
Just wonderin'. Does "available" mean the government has been paying good money to keep these hotels empty but on standby but with no at-the-ready MIQ staffing or equipment? Or are these hotels on paid government retainers, fully staffed and equipped but lacking customers?

Covid-19 is aggressive, "smart", mercurial, evasive, mutant - a globe-trotting Scarlet Pimpernel. Variants are reportedly developing and popping up randomly. There is also no sure guarantee that immunisation will prove totally and globally effective over the longer term, even against the original strain. It's possible the government may be trying to balance a still statistically unquantifiable (unacceptable?) risk against the undoubted need to satisfy humanitarian needs. While David Baker seems to think the risk is currently sufficiently low for a Tasman bubble to operate, it nevertheless "only takes one...".

So what would you or anyone else do, and how prepared would you be to answer to the nation for any unintended consequences of your decision?

"Be kind" is a rhetorical encouragement to be considerate of others, as in the government's balancing act referred to above, where the non-existential needs of a deserving few must necessarily be assessed against the decidedly existential needs of the many.
Gordon
2021-03-30 07:01:58 UTC
[...]
If we keep the border gateway as it is then variants will not be a big
hassle, after all they have not been to date. It is the wandering hosts
which cause the problem.

While there is a fee for MIQ services I wonder what % this is.