Newtown Dental Surgery - WARNING - WORST place ever!!! Untrustworthy.
Add Reply
m***@hotmail.com
2011-06-27 09:33:19 UTC
I went to this surgery with concerns over my wisdom teeth and was told
that all four of them needed to come out. Because of the high price
($600 per tooth!!!!!) I opted to just have the one that most bugging
me removed for the time being.
In general I found them unfriendly, impersonal and also experienced
one instance where the receptionist was very rude to my mother who had
called to check on my progress during the procedure.
However, the BIGGEST issue I had with them was over payment. They have
a clear sign at reception stating that no patient will be allowed to
leave without settling all bills and that they do not offer credit -
everything has to be paid in full on the day. I'd already paid $80 the
first time I'd gone for the original check-up, and then paid the $600
for the wisdom tooth extraction on the day of the procedure. One week
later, as I understand all patients are required to do, I had to
return to the clinic so the dentist could check that there was no
infection etc. I did, and it took all of 10 minutes, no instruments
were used and there were no issues. I left that day, I was farewelled
as I walked out the door, and as far as I was aware all bills were
settled and I hadn't been informed otherwise. Not long afterward I
moved flats and didn't think twice about the clinic again.
It wasn't until I applied for an overdraft on my student bank account,
as I needed to pay for travel and accommodation for summer school
study, that I was turned down due to my 'bad credit rating'. I
investigated further and it appeared I had a five-year bad credit
rating next to my name due to an $80 outstanding bill with Newtown
Dental Surgery. I called to find out what the bill was and discovered
it was for the 10min check-up following the procedure. The clinic had
apparently sent the bill to my previous home address twice, but other
than that they'd done nothing to contact me (my mobile phone number is
still the same so if they'd called that just once I wouldn't be in
this situation) before lodging it with the credit rating agency.
After many tears and disagreements I still have a lack of
clarification on how the whole situation had been able to occur (after
speaking to both the receptionist and the dentist - who is also the
owner of the clinic).
It's ludicrous to imagine that I would be willing to paying $80, then
$600 but that I'd "refuse" (according to the credit agency) to pay the
outstanding $80. If I was trying to scam them, you'd think I'd have
refused to pay the whole lot.
So, in the end I'm stuck with a five year bad credit rating that
cannot be reversed. This is someone who has never had debt in her
life, has never owned a credit card in her life, and has worked very
hard to avoid everything from loans to hire purchases. This will
affect my house buying plans and my future - as I will have to wait
until the five year period is up.
Since then I have changed dentists (Symes de Silva is amazing and
highly recommended) and have sought two separate opinions on my wisdom
teeth - both said that they do not need to be removed and that the
extracted one probably didn't need to be either. I'm just glad I
didn't get all four taken out by Newtown Dental Surgery. What a
SCAM!!!!!
R***@hotmail.com
2011-06-27 10:23:35 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
Complain to the Dental Council
http://www.dentalcouncil.org.nz/dcInfoConsumerConcerns

or the Health and Disability Commissioner
http://www.hdc.org.nz/complaints

or the Dental Association
http://www.healthysmiles.org.nz/default,146,consumer-complaints-system.sm

I don;t know why there are three bodies to deal with complaints - but
it can be worthwhile.
Tilly
The poster isn't in NZ Rich.
R***@hotmail.com
2011-06-28 01:33:56 UTC
Post by Tilly
Post by R***@hotmail.com
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
Do you think it was Newtown, Edinburgh rather than Newtown,
Wellington?

How could you tell?
Tilly
WHOIS...It went back to Edinburgh via Amsterdam
Ralph Fox
2011-06-28 08:09:05 UTC
Post by R***@hotmail.com
Post by Tilly
The poster isn't in NZ Rich.
Do you think it was Newtown, Edinburgh rather than Newtown,
Wellington?
How could you tell?
Look at the poster's headers:

IP address 2.96.111.137 is in the UK, not in NZ.

"IP-address.com" says it is in the UK.
<http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/2.96.111.137>

MaxMind says it is in the UK.
<http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_demo_ip?ips=2.96.111.137>

"What Is My IP Address" says it is in the UK.
<http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/2.96.111.137>

Geobytes says it is in the UK.
<http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm>

IP address 2.96.111.137 belongs to UK ISP "Talk Talk" / Opal Telecommunications Plc.
http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?searchtext=2.96.111.137&searchSubmit=search
--
Kind regards
Ralph
Msgr Scooter
2011-06-28 09:38:24 UTC
On , , Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:09:05 +1200, Re: Newtown Dental Surgery - WARNING -
Post by Ralph Fox
Post by R***@hotmail.com
Post by Tilly
The poster isn't in NZ Rich.
Do you think it was Newtown, Edinburgh rather than Newtown,
Wellington?
How could you tell?
She may well be in the UK, but the businesses she refers to are in Wellington,
New Zealand.
Post by Ralph Fox
IP address 2.96.111.137 is in the UK, not in NZ.
"IP-address.com" says it is in the UK.
<http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/2.96.111.137>
MaxMind says it is in the UK.
<http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_demo_ip?ips=2.96.111.137>
"What Is My IP Address" says it is in the UK.
<http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/2.96.111.137>
Geobytes says it is in the UK.
<http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm>
IP address 2.96.111.137 belongs to UK ISP "Talk Talk" / Opal Telecommunications Plc.
http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?searchtext=2.96.111.137&searchSubmit=search
to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.
Msgr Scooter
2011-06-28 06:57:26 UTC
On , , Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:51:58 +1200, Re: Newtown Dental Surgery - WARNING -
Post by Tilly
Post by R***@hotmail.com
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
And Symes de Silva isn't in Courteney Place?
http://www.symesdesilva.co.nz
to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
Anatole France.
Gordon
2011-06-28 05:45:33 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
One is always wise to seek a second opinion.

People grizzle at the high cost of dentists, I say, if you get a good one
then you get good service, and professional advice, so the price is good
value.

Like people in this ng, some are non-MMp and others are pro MMP. Others
something else. They have their reasons and are valid. Professionals have
opions too, try to find one which agrees with yours. You will then be able
to trust the person doing the work
Supergoofy
2011-07-01 12:26:10 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Since then I have changed dentists (Symes de Silva is amazing and
highly recommended) and have sought two separate opinions on my wisdom
teeth - both said that they do not need to be removed and that the
extracted one probably didn't need to be either. I'm just glad I
didn't get all four taken out by Newtown Dental Surgery. What a
SCAM!!!!!
I've been with Symes de Silva for many years and have always been
extremely happy with them.

When I asked if replacing my old amalgam fillings with the white ones
would help my super-sensitive teeth, Graham Symes passed up the chance
to make thousands of dollars and told me no, in fact it could well make
them more sensitive.

I also went to see him once after I chipped a tooth, and he smoothed the
rough edges off for me and never charged for the visit. Only wants to
see me once a year for a checkup because my teeth are good.

Definitely not just in it for the money.

Rachel
Newtown Dental Practice Manager
2020-11-17 04:11:02 UTC
Post by Supergoofy
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
Hello Melanie. Even though this is very late we are truly sorry for how you were treated by the previous owners. There has been a change of management since your visit and we wish to apologise for the way there was neither a clear indication of payment required nor a thorough reminder process. Our current policy, should you need to return for a review following any treatment, is for a free consultation. In an effort to put this right, we would like to offer you a free 30 minute hygiene treatment with the principal dentist. Please contact us for a date/time that is convenient for you.