Time for fairness
2021-01-23 23:16:22 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123914117/migrant-community-fight-inhumane-plan-to-move-nz-super-goalposts
20 years is in line with many other countries but surely a staggered
implementation would be fair.
Gordon
2021-01-24 02:14:06 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123914117/migrant-community-fight-inhumane-plan-to-move-nz-super-goalposts
20 years is in line with many other countries but surely a staggered
implementation would be fair.
I read the article and thought, in every other introduction of change it is
a gradual thing. GST to age one get superannuation, lowering of
drinking/voting age. So what is different here?

It is a NZ First’s, Mark Patterson, production which might explain it. I see
that both National and Labour think that it is a bit harsh. So why can they
not get together and say gradual it is Mark. Got it?
Tony
Good quaetion Gordon? Why not?
James Christophers
2021-01-24 23:14:21 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/123914117/migrant-community-fight-inhumane-plan-to-move-nz-super-goalposts
20 years is in line with many other countries but surely a staggered
implementation would be fair.
I read the article and thought, in every other introduction of change it is
a gradual thing. GST to age one get superannuation, lowering of
drinking/voting age. So what is different here?
A combination of fearful uncertainty in their home country plus big helpings of intro-family sentiment.

I think a graduated process should be workable work, arriving at the 20-year mark after a set period, and which meets two requirements: the fair and equitable treatment of the more recent immigrant who falls within the graduated period; and the government's fiscal and budgetary mandate always to keep the books in order. In the case of immigrants arriving from countries such as the UK where they have previously been contributors to the UK mandatory NI scheme, due consideration should be applied, possibly by beneficial adjustment of the qualifying period. After all, this cadre has actually been paying statutory state pension instalments extra to and over and above their other taxes all their working lives. That lifetime UK pension "investment" is automatically paid back over time from the British government coffers into a state-nominated NZ bank account which the NZ pension scheme then extracts in full to subsidise the nominated NZ payee's NZ state pension. This is how it works for me and countless others in my category. This, by the way, may come as a surprise to many NZ-born in-country people - and they should also know that the UK pension transfer payments are frozen for all time at the sum being paid on the date of the switch to the NZ system.