Ardern and child poverty
2020-09-04 01:53:59 UTC
Quite a long read but illuminating.

https://yournz.org/2020/09/04/arderns-record-on-child-poverty/
George
2020-09-04 21:02:45 UTC
On Thu, 03 Sep 2020 20:53:59 -0500
Post by Tony
Quite a long read but illuminating.
https://yournz.org/2020/09/04/arderns-record-on-child-poverty/
But child poverdy was why she entered politics.
Appears to have been to increase the levels
2020-09-04 21:09:57 UTC
Post by Tony
Quite a long read but illuminating.
https://yournz.org/2020/09/04/arderns-record-on-child-poverty/
But child poverdy was why she entered politics.
That is definitely what she said, I met her when she was invited to a local
organisation to speak, years before she was PM and she said exactly that to a
group of perhaps 50 people. Lies, damn lies and politics.
Post by George
Appears to have been to increase the levels
The article implies that there has been an increase.
2020-09-04 21:57:46 UTC
Post by Tony
Quite a long read but illuminating.
https://yournz.org/2020/09/04/arderns-record-on-child-poverty/
But child poverdy was why she entered politics.
Noble, honourable thinking on Ardern's part, of course, but child poverty is endemic in New Zealand. No one has solved it. No one will. Ever. Just as now, it was being deplored and debated when I arrived here more than a quarter of a century ago, and it will persist for as long as the majority of New Zealanders turn a blind eye to it.

Shame - for shame it surely is - comes easy when it can't be pinned specificallyon you, the individual. Truth is, in the Land of the Sanctimonious Humbug, it's far easier to shrug it off and pin it on the single most prominent New Zealander of the day, isn't it?
Everything is easy until the moment you have to do it; IOW, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." T'was ever thus.
Tony
2020-09-04 22:11:29 UTC
Post by Tony
Quite a long read but illuminating.
https://yournz.org/2020/09/04/arderns-record-on-child-poverty/
But child poverdy was why she entered politics.
Noble, honourable thinking on Ardern's part, of course, but child poverty is
endemic in New Zealand. No one has solved it. No one will. Ever. Just as now,
it was being deplored and debated when I arrived here more than a quarter of a
century ago, and it will persist for as long as the majority of New Zealanders
turn a blind eye to it.
Shame - for shame it surely is - comes easy when it can't be pinned
specificallyon you, the individual. Truth is, in the Land of the Sanctimonious
Humbug, it's far easier to shrug it off and pin it on the single most prominent
New Zealander of the day, isn't it?
That is of course where it belongs easy or not.
That is definitely what she said, I met her when she was invited to a local
organisation to speak, years before she was PM and she said exactly that to a
group of perhaps 50 people. Lies, damn lies and politics.
Everything is easy until the moment you have to do it; IOW, "The road to Hell
is paved with good intentions." T'was ever thus.
No excuse though.