"A bunch of noncompoops."
2021-09-02 00:14:59 UTC
"The closest National has got to this near-death state was under Bill English in 2002, but they still had credible senior MPs and rebuilt. But 20 years on they look more shabby, less disciplined, more impotent, more indecisive, naughtier, and more irrelevant than I have ever seen."

"Peter Goodfellow has overseen a board who have picked a bunch of nincompoops.'

"No one is listening to them anymore which makes them irrelevant."

"National lacks focus, talent, and discipline. I no longer know what they stand for."

(Duncan Garner, Newshub - July 2021)

Discuss.

(On a lighter note, serial dissemination could perhaps be said to be Garner's core discipline and preoccupation: commentary, news and information; four offspring from three relationships.)
greybeard
2021-09-02 00:58:35 UTC
"The closest National has got to this near-death state was under Bill English in 2002, but they still had credible senior MPs and rebuilt. But 20 years on they look more shabby, less disciplined, more impotent, more indecisive, naughtier, and more irrelevant than I have ever seen."
"Peter Goodfellow has overseen a board who have picked a bunch of nincompoops.'
"No one is listening to them anymore which makes them irrelevant."
"National lacks focus, talent, and discipline. I no longer know what they stand for."
(Duncan Garner, Newshub - July 2021)
Discuss.
IMO mostly true.
But I don't care. Not my problem.
It's up to them to fix it, and I'm not involved.
Gordon
2021-09-02 01:05:09 UTC
"The closest National has got to this near-death state was under Bill English in 2002, but they still had credible senior MPs and rebuilt. But 20 years on they look more shabby, less disciplined, more impotent, more indecisive, naughtier, and more irrelevant than I have ever seen."
"Peter Goodfellow has overseen a board who have picked a bunch of nincompoops.'
"No one is listening to them anymore which makes them irrelevant."
"National lacks focus, talent, and discipline. I no longer know what they stand for."
(Duncan Garner, Newshub - July 2021)
Discuss.
When ever something along the lines of National is useless, I think well
subsitute Labour for National and it still fits.

Before 2017 Labour was floundering along, changing leaders at a great rate.
Something they did right up until an election, along with a handrake, got
them to be able to be the Government. Focus, talent, and discipline were in
short supply as they scrambled to act like a Government.

National meanwhile went into heavy denial. Did not go quite as far as Donald
Trump is saying the election was stolen as well being a fake. They went into
the prescribed rebooting of the party. This is often not a pretty sight.

So it is situation normal.

Without Covid it would have been interesting to see Labour be able to roam
free.
greybeard
2021-09-02 03:08:33 UTC
[...]
The counterfactual.
There is no point in speculating that National could have done it better.
Or ACT, or Winston first, or the Conservatives.
In the words of Michael Cullen; "You lost. WE won. Get over it."