Something for Rich to dismiss without thought
2020-04-30 04:57:02 UTC
https://envirowatchrangitikei.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/an-open-letter-to-jacinda-adern-re-covid-19/
Rich80105
2020-04-30 08:59:24 UTC
On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 23:57:02 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
https://envirowatchrangitikei.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/an-open-letter-to-jacinda-adern-re-covid-19/
https://www.reddit.com/r/newzealand/comments/ed2gvy/after_todays_drama_its_probably_worth_again/

But I can see why you liked the article you posted, Tony - it must
have pushed a lot of buttons for you. Opinion presented as fact -
false assertions presented as reality, intensely critical without
evidence, false "science" that has already been proved wrong; false
assertons about actual results and alternative actions, and the
suggestion that the emotive language was rational by going over the
top at the end with other ujustifiable assumptions. "Right!"up your
garden path it led you, with the pretence of taking you somewhere -
leading right up to the essential dishonesty of describing our current
situation as catastrophic arising from a fraudulent level of
misinformation, deceit, exaggeration and hysteria - a description that
most New Zealadners would not recognise as being true .

According to the introduction, the article was "contributed" by New
Zealand journalist Peter Drew. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to
anything this so-called journalist has ever written before - I suspect
it is as fake as the whole website. But I am sure you will take that
with the "Right" positive attitude you pride youself in having . . .

Not surprisingly, there was more homage to your reactionary disregard
for scientific truth elsewhere on the site - you must have loved this
one:
https://envirowatchrangitikei.wordpress.com/fluoride/
Tony
2020-04-30 20:59:03 UTC
Post by Tony
https://envirowatchrangitikei.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/an-open-letter-to-jacinda-adern-re-covid-19/
As anticipated Rich dismisses something he happens to hope is wrong without any
refuting data or evidence.
John Bowes
He ignores the constant stream of opinion he pushes as fact. now watch the stupid little Marxist throw a wobbly because people are smart enough to point out his stupidity :)
Rich80105
2020-04-30 21:13:41 UTC
On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 15:59:03 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
https://envirowatchrangitikei.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/an-open-letter-to-jacinda-adern-re-covid-19/
As anticipated Rich dismisses something he happens to hope is wrong without any
refuting data or evidence.
There was no supporting data or evidence in the article, Tony. As a
bizarre distorted opinion piece I did not consider it worth wasting
time arguing against; very few are likely to believe any of it anyway.
You did not appear to support it; it appeared you were merely
trolling.

What I did think relevant is the reality that it is beleived to be
evidence of asset stripping - do you condone such practices, Tony

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/05-08-2019/liquidators-stamp-brutal-message-on-whaleoil-site-claiming-misappropriation/
Tony
2020-04-30 21:18:47 UTC
Once more Rich abuses.
John Bowes
2020-05-01 05:52:24 UTC
Post by Tony
https://envirowatchrangitikei.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/an-open-letter-to-jacinda-adern-re-covid-19/
As anticipated Rich dismisses something he happens to hope is wrong without any
refuting data or evidence.
There was no supporting data or evidence in the article, Tony. As a
bizarre distorted opinion piece I did not consider it worth wasting
time arguing against; very few are likely to believe any of it anyway.
You did not appear to support it; it appeared you were merely
trolling.
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking mate Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
August 5th 2019! What year do you think you're living in Rich? Besides which did you verify what thespinoff claimed?
George
2020-05-01 20:28:04 UTC
On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 22:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
Post by John Bowes
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking mate
Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
Hey. He earned that title along with Captain of the Heads
Didn't see him at the reunion
2020-05-01 21:27:22 UTC
Post by John Bowes
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking mate
Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
Hey. He earned that title along with Captain of the Heads
Didn't see him at the reunion
You Trentham people do stick together, don't you. Don't worry, I
won't tell Tony you flushed his thread where you thought it should go
. . .
Tony
2020-05-01 23:29:31 UTC
Post by John Bowes
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking mate
Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
Hey. He earned that title along with Captain of the Heads
Didn't see him at the reunion
You Trentham people do stick together, don't you. Don't worry, I
won't tell Tony you flushed his thread where you thought it should go
. . .
Your toilet just spat out your last contribution, when will you stop your only
debating skill - sarcasm?
George
2020-05-02 02:03:09 UTC
On Fri, 01 May 2020 18:29:31 -0500
Post by John Bowes
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking
mate Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
Hey. He earned that title along with Captain of the Heads
Didn't see him at the reunion
You Trentham people do stick together, don't you. Don't worry, I
won't tell Tony you flushed his thread where you thought it should go
. . .
Your toilet just spat out your last contribution, when will you stop
your only debating skill - sarcasm?
The reunion was for Rockies. Beggared if I know what 'Trentham people'
means...
Sarcasm requires wit. He's half way there
2020-05-02 02:35:56 UTC
Post by John Bowes
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking
mate Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
Hey. He earned that title along with Captain of the Heads
Didn't see him at the reunion
You Trentham people do stick together, don't you. Don't worry, I
won't tell Tony you flushed his thread where you thought it should go
. . .
Your toilet just spat out your last contribution, when will you stop
your only debating skill - sarcasm?
The reunion was for Rockies. Beggared if I know what 'Trentham people'
means...
Neither do I but when you consider the source might as well just "flush it".
Post by George
Sarcasm requires wit. He's half way there
Sorry George but I claim to have used that first when I was in my early
twenties.
I might tell the story one day.
On the other hand you might have used it in the past also.
Nevertheless very apt.
George
2020-05-02 20:53:06 UTC
On Fri, 01 May 2020 21:35:56 -0500
Post by George
Sarcasm requires wit. He's half way there
Sorry George but I claim to have used that first when I was in my
early twenties.
I might tell the story one day.
On the other hand you might have used it in the past also.
Nevertheless very apt.
When it comes to Trentham all I know of Trentham is that it was an
Army base until the 60s.
It was the site for the Post Office Accommodation Center and is the
scene for the rifle range where they used to shoot for the Kings
Belt/cup/whatever.
An archery club and a Police dog training center.
Nothing about 'people'
2020-05-02 21:54:44 UTC
Post by George
Sarcasm requires wit. He's half way there
Sorry George but I claim to have used that first when I was in my
early twenties.
I might tell the story one day.
On the other hand you might have used it in the past also.
Nevertheless very apt.
When it comes to Trentham all I know of Trentham is that it was an
Army base until the 60s.
It was the site for the Post Office Accommodation Center and is the
scene for the rifle range where they used to shoot for the Kings
Belt/cup/whatever.
An archery club and a Police dog training center.
Nothing about 'people'
Me too, I know someone who works in or near Trentham, he is a civilian but has
a lot to do with the military, some sort of admin role perhaps. I believe that
the medals office is there also having applied for medals on behalf of the
family of a deceased WWII soldier.
John Bowes
Medal section is now in Wellington. We had (and I use we correctly as I had the dubious privilege of being responsable for there storage at one time) big problems with medals disappearing till they got a separate lockup. They were a pain in the arse!
Tony
2020-05-03 20:27:41 UTC
Post by George
[...]
OK thanks, it was some years ago that I made the application. It took a long
time however.

John Bowes
2020-05-03 11:44:36 UTC
Post by George
Sarcasm requires wit. He's half way there
Sorry George but I claim to have used that first when I was in my
early twenties.
I might tell the story one day.
On the other hand you might have used it in the past also.
Nevertheless very apt.
When it comes to Trentham all I know of Trentham is that it was an
Army base until the 60s.
It was the site for the Post Office Accommodation Center and is the
scene for the rifle range where they used to shoot for the Kings
Belt/cup/whatever.
An archery club and a Police dog training center.
Nothing about 'people'
It still is an Army base mate. Has always had a lot more than a Q store. but then Keith's superior educashun wouldn't have taught the fool that.

You go easy on us rockies mate we don't allow golden rivet hunters like Keith to join. Though the RN would have been desperate for recuits when Keith was called up :)
George
2020-05-03 20:09:25 UTC
On Sun, 3 May 2020 04:44:36 -0700 (PDT)
Post by George
[...]
Look up K F Wilsons booklet.
I got one and it takes you back though a bit short on lower deck stuff
James Christophers
2020-05-02 00:36:44 UTC
Post by John Bowes
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking mate
Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
Hey. He earned that title along with Captain of the Heads
Didn't see him at the reunion
You Trentham people do stick together, don't you.
Like shit to a blanket, the blanket being none other than a beseechingly grateful Tony Norunk.

IOW the classic triangle that can only support itself provided all three shaky limbs continue in to prop each other up as equal dead-weight partners in futility.
James Christophers

IOW the classic tripod that can only support itself provided all three shaky limbs continue in to prop each other up as equal dead-weight partners in futility.
Tony
Yes. You Rich and Keith the triangle of abuse lies and crap.
John Bowes
In truth he was probably a barrack stanchion at Chatham :)
George
2020-05-03 20:07:11 UTC
On Sun, 3 May 2020 04:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
Post by John Bowes
The only trolls in this ng are you and your golden rivet seeking
mate Keith/<Newsman>/ James :)
Hey. He earned that title along with Captain of the Heads
Didn't see him at the reunion
In truth he was probably a barrack stanchion at Chatham :)
Why then didn't they keep him.
He shows all the intellect required
James Christophers
2020-04-30 22:11:15 UTC
Post by Tony
https://envirowatchrangitikei.wordpress.com/2020/04/23/an-open-letter-to-jacinda-adern-re-covid-19/
As anticipated Rich dismisses something he happens to hope is wrong without any
refuting data or evidence.
But wait...there's more...much, much more!

Yesterday, this query from one "Brian Stephenson" appeared on Facebook. I cite verbatim:

'Has anyone heard of a New Zealand journalist called Peter Drew? Someone is peddling for publication a 2,677-word “Open letter to Jacinda Adern” (yes, surname spelt wrongly)...

(John Bowes, and in his case consistently, i.e. two of an unfortunate kind)

'...purportedly written by “New Zealand journalist Peter Drew.”

'Neighbourly (St Heliers and nearby areas) has published it as a posting from a Neighbourly member (whose name is not Peter Drew), as have Waikanae Watch (a local web-based newsletter) and Envirowatch Rangitikei.

'The “letter” propounds a conspiracy theory – that the World Health Organisation’s figures were fraudulent, that the seriousness of COVID-19 was exaggerated, the NZ government has been taken in, and that restrictions should cease.

'The links in the article connect with conspiracy websites.

'I’m posting this here to see whether anyone in KJA knows of a New Zealand journalist called Peter Drew. Some curious features:

'1. He seems to have no internet presence other than this “letter”.

'2. The misspelling of the PM’s name throughout is notable.

'3. He begins with, “I write this letter as a patriotic Kiwi with best intentions for my country and for the future health and welfare of my fellow Kiwis” and signs it “Patriotic kiwi” – improbable language for a journalist.

'4. The conspiracy websites that he cites don’t instill confidence.

'Anyone heard of him?'

Mmmm...quite so...

So over to you, Tony Norunk!
Crash
2020-04-30 21:39:17 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
Unlike Rich, I will comment on the first article Tony cited in his OP
- the open letter to our PM.

There are a number of points he makes:

"So, the question we need to approach with rational thinking,
evidence, and facts is this. Was there/is there a sufficiently extreme
level of critical danger facing New Zealand that warrants such
damaging measures being taken? Is there a global pandemic of such
unprecedented veracity and lethality sweeping across the world that it
demands this extreme action for the good of the nation?"

In the next paragraph he identifies that experts warned, prior to the
level 4 lock-down, that up to 80,000 lives could be lost. What is
missing is how long these losses would have taken - a month is
catastrophic, 5 years less so.

He then goes on to compare evidence known at the time the letter was
written but may not have been know at the time the Level 4 lock-down
decision was made. When I read an opinion such as this my interest
wanes when a such clearly invalid justification is made.

Decisions taken by politicians are always based on the best advice
they can get. However it is the politician, not the sources of
advice, that are subsequently held to account at the ballot box. All
politicians therefore include political implications in the decisions
- it is simply not possible to take decisions based purely on advice
without a thought to future political implications.

In the future I believe that the validity of the decisions made on the
pandemic levels and the timing of decisions will be tested mostly by
comparing NZ to Australia, not the sciences (which are evolving at
pace). Both countries are similar enough, with differing decisions
being taken, for the comparison to be reasonably valid on a per-capita
basis.

2020-04-30 23:09:52 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
I think that I agree with all that you have written, nevertheless I thought it
was worth reading because it is never a good idea to blindly believe what the
press reports or indeed what the government (any government) says.
To do so is foolhardy.
The article is certainly not perfect.
My overwhelming concern is that we should not assume that this government has
done it perfectly or is doing it perfectly now, that is clearly open to debate
and we have the right to question them.
To dismiss the article in its entirety without rational thought is stupid or
worse and so I thank you for having an open mind.
Rich80105
2020-04-30 23:38:28 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
While it is not clear that your comment implied criticism of my
response, Crash, it would have been be a fair criticism. Certainly I
read the article, although I was suspicious that it did not seem to
have any rational link to Environmental Health.

To have the quotation “The first casualty of war is the truth”
followed in the following paragraph by "Our country as we know it has
been ripped apart in the blink of an eye, perhaps never to fully
return. The economy and businesses decimated for the foreseeable
future. Mental health problems and social problems set to explode with
devastating consequences. The damage done is catastrophic. " without
any supporting words appeared to me to be an attempt at proving that
truth had indeed been a casualty with respect to the article. I am
not aware of any significant proportion of our companies have been
destroyed; many businesses have been able to continue considerable
work while working from home, but some industries have been adversely
affected, particularly as government support did not cover continuing
commitments to rent - banks have permitted mortgage payments to
belimited for a period (at no real cost to the banks of course), but
while I know that some landlords have reduced or waived rent for the
preriod of lockdown, some have vigorously pursued full rental
payments. Certainly there has been little call for government to cover
that problem. The Article concluded with similar hyperbole which I
referred to in my initial comments

In contrast to government actions, John Key has made some statements
that could perhaps have been of concern, although published after the
Peter Drew"article:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12326092
"Key believed companies would, after lockdown, operate with
significantly fewer people – another looming issue for commercial
landlords.

“Everyone is going to kick out 20 per cent of their people . . . even
if the company is doing well . . . their worst performers. Never waste
a crisis."

“I don’t want to be doom and gloom but property might take longer [to
recover] – it just has to go lower over time.”

From which I conclude that "never waste a crisis" is a saying that can
perhaps be agreed (although with different implications) by all
political parties as well as writers of sensationalist garbage like
the "open letter" to which Tony drew our attention under a fairly
dismissive Subject heading.

You have well covered other aspects of the "article" in your comments
below.

I spent some time looking for evidence of a New Zealand Journalist
named Peter Drew, and concuded that it was not his real name. I have
been critical of some of our news media for the low quality of many
articles, but I believe this "article" would have been rejected by
editors at all recognised publishers.

In conclusion, as I have said before, I suspect this was a deliberate
troll attempt by Tony - he must be delighted at the time wasted on a
very inferior diatribe which I suspect even he does not believe. So
chalk up one troll win to Tony!
basis.
Tony
2020-05-01 00:24:02 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
From which I conclude that "never waste a crisis" is a saying that can
[...]
You cannot address any post by me without being rude. You really should look
up the definition of a Usenet troll then refer to your image in any mirror.
I post under my real name with a valid email address - you have stated that you
do not - that is a good starting point for self evaluation.
basis.
Rich80105
2020-05-01 00:44:06 UTC
On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 19:24:02 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
[...]
From which I conclude that "never waste a crisis" is a saying that can
[...]
From the first refrence I found (Google "troll") :
noun: a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative
online post.
verb: make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with
the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

or:
In internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets
people on the Internet to distract by posting inflammatory and
digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community

Nothing there about whatever name you use, or whether your posting
email address is valid

Note also:
https://alltop.com/viral/top-12-signs-youre-dealing-with-trolls
basis.
Tony
2020-05-01 01:22:10 UTC
Post by Tony
[...]
From which I conclude that "never waste a crisis" is a saying that can
[...]
Well there you are, Rich to a T.
Post by Rich80105
In internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets
people on the Internet to distract by posting inflammatory and
digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community
Rich to a T again
Nothing there about whatever name you use, or whether your posting
email address is valid
No maybe not, that exists in several other definitions of a troll - feel free
to go looking.