Thr big border shutdown
2020-03-14 19:14:02 UTC
Not before time.
However This would have been on the books for a month.
And the claim that its the biggest shutdown in the world has to be the
worst lie from the fake news but expected.
Evidently the TDS cut in because the US has shut out Europe and is
considering shutting Britain out also.
Ans why are we accepting trade from China, the country from which this
latest scare virus originated???
2020-03-14 19:55:36 UTC
Not before time.
However This would have been on the books for a month.
And the claim that its the biggest shutdown in the world has to be the
worst lie from the fake news but expected.
Evidently the TDS cut in because the US has shut out Europe and is
considering shutting Britain out also.
Ans why are we accepting trade from China, the country from which this
latest scare virus originated???
Arderns claim 'go hard, go early' is crap! They should be testing people coming from the danger spots! Not letting people coming from Tuscany (which was in lock down) walk through the entry port of Auckland and a friend who came back from Thailand on Monday had no checks and wasn't questioned!

This pandemic is just another failure of the useless government Winston foisted on us! We'll be lucky if we only have a couple of hundred cases considering what Ardern and co have put in place!

Past time for a change of government. National might be useless but they're a damn sight better than Winston's clowns!

Btw goods from China are being held at the wharves still in their containers! I have a friend with a shop who's got empty shelves because of it!
Gordon
2020-03-15 03:32:43 UTC
Not before time.
However This would have been on the books for a month.
And the claim that its the biggest shutdown in the world has to be the
worst lie from the fake news but expected.
Evidently the TDS cut in because the US has shut out Europe and is
considering shutting Britain out also.
Ans why are we accepting trade from China, the country from which this
latest scare virus originated???
Arderns claim 'go hard, go early' is crap!
No, its damage control.
You are starting to sound like a Trump supporter.
John Bowes
You're sounding like Rich. I thought you had much better comprehension skills than him :)
George
2020-03-15 19:10:25 UTC
On 15 Mar 2020 03:32:43 GMT
software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Post by John Bowes
This pandemic is just another failure of the useless government Winston foisted on us!
You are starting to sound like a Trump supporter.
And you're beginning to remind me of the CNN 'face' that claimed Trump
as some sort of racist because he said that the virus was 'foreign'..
Since the virus came from Wohan China he's correct
2020-03-15 21:43:39 UTC
Post by John Bowes
This pandemic is just another failure of the useless government
Winston foisted on us!
You are starting to sound like a Trump supporter.
And you're beginning to remind me of the CNN 'face' that claimed Trump
as some sort of racist because he said that the virus was 'foreign'..
Since the virus came from Wohan China he's correct
For the past 200 years or so, the world has managed to hold at arm's length a pandemic against which there is neither immunity nor, as yet, any universal sure-fire vaccine: the common cold. Mutation.

Coronavirus is way more deadly but, if survived, immunity is conferred. But no one has yet determined that it won't/can't mutate - and that's the deadly, grisly truth of it.

A new-strain pandemic runs its course and eventually dies out when sufficient numbers have survived and gained immunity but there are insufficient numbers remaining for it to infect; a worldwide 60% immunity is the calculated tipping point.

All any government can currently do is to try and mitigate the pandemic's effects as best it can by minimising risk in line with what is affordable and practicable (see Robertson ref. below) without totally paralysing the country and its economy. Again, such efforts are necessarily constrained both by resources that are available and immediately to hand and the speed with which they can then be put into effect. Even so, the strong will prevail and survive. As for the weak....'twas ever thus. In a nutshell, this is what pandemics are about.

But for New Zealand there's good news. Its finances are sound where it matters most in a hard-pressed situation such as we now face: core Crown debt stands at less than 20% of GDP. We have room to borrow - and large - **and** at today's piddling interest rates - **and** our international credit is at least as good as anyone else's.

All thanks to a proactive yet 'conservative' on-the-ball Finance Minister who, until now, has been expertly and effectively stewarding the nation's finances. OK, he now has his work cut out for him like no other finance minister before him. Even so, I for one wish him all the luck in the world since his policies are rapidly becoming pivotal to the nation's wellbeing.

Even so, assuming we can afford the resources, are they sufficiently available in the quantities and as quickly as needed? This is the crucial question that now concentrates the mind of every government. But, as nihht follows day, the strong will always prevail and survive...

But never forget that small, inoffensive word - 'mutation'.

Finally, this is necessarily a non-partisan crisis and should be treated exclusively as such. Not to do so at such a time is the mark of the mentally halt and lame.

Think on...
Gordon
2020-03-15 03:30:23 UTC
Not before time.
However This would have been on the books for a month.
And the claim that its the biggest shutdown in the world has to be the
worst lie from the fake news but expected.
Evidently the TDS cut in because the US has shut out Europe and is
considering shutting Britain out also.
Ans why are we accepting trade from China, the country from which this
latest scare virus originated???
George the virus moves on people. While it maybe on goods at the factory it
can not live there for long. It needs to hop onto another carrier.

Shifting people around the globe willy nilly has caused this globalness to
happen.
James Christophers
2020-03-15 20:41:44 UTC
Not before time.
However This would have been on the books for a month.
And the claim that its the biggest shutdown in the world has to be the
worst lie from the fake news but expected.
Evidently the TDS cut in because the US has shut out Europe and is
considering shutting Britain out also.
Ans why are we accepting trade from China, the country from which this
latest scare virus originated???
It's already way more than enough that our income from Chinese tourism is gone. To cease trading with China altogether would paralyse the entire New Zealand economy within a weeks if not days.

This is what must happen when a minnow nation that doggedly refuses to develop export diversity throws in its lot with a ruthless economic megalith, hence leaving itself with no room to manoeuvre - no other place to go.

We're 20 years into the 21st century; drying milk, putting it in sacks and shipping it up north while gratefully accepting small change from oriental rubber-neckers to traipse round Rotorua's noisome mudpools simply doesn't cut it anymore.
George
2020-03-15 22:21:16 UTC
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 13:41:44 -0700 (PDT)
[...]
Its not as if we (the politicians) were unaware of the dangers of
interacting with the current Chinese government.
Now we can look forward to a lot of our infrastructure disappearing
2020-03-16 00:57:06 UTC
[...]
But what of you, a non-politician at the time? Which rock had you been sleeping under, Rip van Winkle?

Moving on...My caveat addressing this very issue was delivered way, way back even before Clark signed us up to the NZ/China FTA. Here it is for the umpteenth time:

"The lamb may lie down with the lion, but the lamb ain't gonna get much sleep."

The price of apathy, George, is exploitation. Richly deserved, of course, but always accompanied by the smug expectation that the government will magic up sufficient cash to keep you in the carefree lotus-eating comfort you've always been accustomed to.
So who's fault can this possibly be other than New Zealand's irreducible hordes of pathological blame-shifters - proudly headed by Simon 'smell-of-death' Bridges?
George
2020-03-16 02:37:48 UTC
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 17:57:06 -0700 (PDT)
Post by James Christophers
So who's fault can this possibly be other than New Zealand's
irreducible hordes of pathological blame-shifters - proudly headed by
Simon 'smell-of-death' Bridges?
You -do- realise that Simon Bridges is leader of the opposition and so
has no powers????????
2020-03-16 03:40:12 UTC
Post by James Christophers
So who's fault can this possibly be other than New Zealand's
irreducible hordes of pathological blame-shifters - proudly headed by
Simon 'smell-of-death' Bridges?
You -do- realise that Simon Bridges is leader of the opposition and so
has no powers????????
And the PM smell of death Ardern has the power but has stuffed up yet another policy?

She should have abandoned the Christchurch photo op and canned the Memorial remembrance for the Christchurch massacre AND the Pacifica celebration a week ago. not the day before the events!

Plus it seems pretty evident the Health ministry is sadly lacking in understanding of the dangers!
George
2020-03-16 19:02:51 UTC
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 20:40:12 -0700 (PDT)
Post by James Christophers
So who's fault can this possibly be other than New Zealand's
irreducible hordes of pathological blame-shifters - proudly
headed by Simon 'smell-of-death' Bridges?
You -do- realise that Simon Bridges is leader of the opposition and
so has no powers????????
And the PM smell of death Ardern has the power but has stuffed up yet another policy?
She should have abandoned the Christchurch photo op and canned the
Memorial remembrance for the Christchurch massacre AND the Pacifica
celebration a week ago. not the day before the events!
Plus it seems pretty evident the Health ministry is sadly lacking in
understanding of the dangers!
The Health sector is led by some-one qualified to eulogize at grave
sides.
And so far has proven himself to be good at making erratic and wrong
claims.
I think that Parliament should shut down until this scare is over.
Must be a thousand or so wandering about there during the day
James Christophers
2020-03-16 04:17:01 UTC
Post by James Christophers
So who's fault can this possibly be other than New Zealand's
irreducible hordes of pathological blame-shifters - proudly headed by
Simon 'smell-of-death' Bridges?
You -do- realise that Simon Bridges is leader of the opposition and so
has no powers????????
Which only makes him come across as even pettier and more redundant than he always has been!

Nothing characterises the powerlessness that is Bridges more than his luckless, plodding persona; and all of it damned to eternity by his dreary, droning death-rattle croak. However, no one could be less surprised than I am that you haven't noticed, George.

I have already said that this pandemic cannot be allowed to become a partisan matter, nor should it ever. In which case, Bridges could consider ways of offering his and his party's support through a coalition. This, historically, has been the way politicians from all sides have put aside their differences and come together to act as one against a common enemy.

And if nothing else, he might then not come across as so hopelessly disconnected and as redundant as 'a spare prick at a wedding' as he plainly does in the current scenario.
George
2020-03-16 19:05:01 UTC
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 21:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
Post by James Christophers
[...]
Thank you for that rambling waffle from the left..
Have you thought of entering a comedy hour for several minutes ?
2020-03-16 21:03:13 UTC
Post by James Christophers
[...]
You're welcome.

"National? Well the Government's border decision was more than they could ever have expected and they've been left gulping like goldfish." (world journalism's famed Pulitzer Prize-winner, yer ol' bar-room buddy, Barry Soper)
Post by George
Have you thought of entering a comedy hour for several minutes ?
Sorry George but you've long since beaten al-comers to it.

But wait...there's more..!

"And after the expected multibillion-dollar package today (National) are likely to be left floating, belly-up in the goldfish bowl, providing the Government's package is watertight."

I have news for Soper: the very nature of pandemics de-stabilises entire economies right across the board, making watertightness impossible to achieve. All any government can do is give it their best shot based on the best advice available to it, **the** essential qualification sloppy Soper omits to mention.