As I've said before...
2021-01-07 00:37:25 UTC
Freedom of speech can never be unconditional, and this applies as much to the President of the United States of America as anyone else.

Twitter has blocked Donald's Trump's account for 12 hours.
Crash
2021-01-07 01:49:48 UTC
On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 16:37:25 -0800 (PST), James Christophers
Post by James Christophers
Freedom of speech can never be unconditional, and this applies as much to the President of the United States of America as anyone else.
Twitter has blocked Donald's Trump's account for 12 hours.
Given his posting history and the fact that he is no longer POTUS
(almost), I am surprised Trump still has an account.

2021-01-07 04:36:45 UTC
Post by James Christophers
Freedom of speech can never be unconditional, and this applies as much to the President of the United States of America as anyone else.
Twitter has blocked Donald's Trump's account for 12 hours.
Given his posting history and the fact that he is no longer POTUS
(almost), I am surprised Trump still has an account.
US Law is such that Trump is still POTUS, and unless removed, still
holds all the powers that he held prior to the election, until Biden
is installed in his stead. It is good that there is now discussion on
the possible basis for removing him even though he has such little
time left.

I applaud the suspensions (Facebook as well), but I note they are very
short term. The actions of the Trump supporters have however had
another good effect - they have given some of the Republicans to now
back away from protests relating to the election loss, thereby
distancing themselves for the first time from the stupidity and wild
accusations that Trump has been making. While I suspect that talk of
removing him may not get anywhere, it may well have ensured that Trump
has little chance of being candidate for President; and also the
possibility of a split of the Republican Party itself.

New Zealand has thankfully not had anything as deadful to deal with.
Sure some deranged National supporters made claims that "National had
Won" by being the largest party in Parliament, but they were sensibly
totally ignored by successive leaders of that party. It was also good
to hear Judith Collins condemn the events in the USA; it is good that
New Zealand can give a united and common sense response on such
important issues.
Gordon
2021-01-08 03:07:41 UTC
Given his posting history and the fact that he is no longer POTUS
(almost), I am surprised Trump still has an account.
US Law is such that Trump is still POTUS, and unless removed, still
holds all the powers that he held prior to the election, until Biden
is installed in his stead. It is good that there is now discussion on
the possible basis for removing him even though he has such little
time left.
I applaud the suspensions (Facebook as well), but I note they are very
short term.
This is in line with the custom, in many parts of the world, to start off
small (gentle) to show that you mean business. Also to see the reaction of
the world.
Post by Rich80105
The actions of the Trump supporters have however had
another good effect - they have given some of the Republicans to now
back away from protests relating to the election loss, thereby
distancing themselves for the first time from the stupidity and wild
accusations that Trump has been making. While I suspect that talk of
removing him may not get anywhere, it may well have ensured that Trump
has little chance of being candidate for President; and also the
possibility of a split of the Republican Party itself.
The Trump supporters are not going to go away. Hopefully the GOP will
outcast them, and join with the Democrats in keeping them at bay.
Post by Rich80105
New Zealand has thankfully not had anything as deadful to deal with.
Being a small country helps. Also the voters have faith in the election
system with checks in place to ensure that "truck loads" of false ballots
are not shipped in.

We also do not have great long lines of people waiting to vote. Also have
voting on a Saturday, not a Tuesday.
Post by Rich80105
Sure some deranged National supporters made claims that "National had
Won" by being the largest party in Parliament, but they were sensibly
totally ignored by successive leaders of that party.
I saw this a they were in shock, they could not believe that they had lost
as they has so many MPs elected.

A bit like getting more than 50% by one party under MMP. A rare event.
Post by Rich80105
It was also good
to hear Judith Collins condemn the events in the USA; it is good that
New Zealand can give a united and common sense response on such
important issues.
I get cynical in cases such as this. Still, she did not stay silent and that
is the important point, not that it was done as it was the right thing to do
to look good.
James Christophers
2021-01-07 05:34:35 UTC
Post by James Christophers
Freedom of speech can never be unconditional, and this applies as much to the President of the United States of America as anyone else.
Twitter has blocked Donald's Trump's account for 12 hours.
Given his posting history and the fact that he is no longer POTUS
(almost), I am surprised Trump still has an account.
The social meda giants wouldn't have wanted to risk being charged with aiding and abetting the overt criminal acts of sedition and insurgency implicit in the storming of the Capitol and the four deaths directly related to them

The GOP is now buggered for the foreseeable future, its Trumpian individuals and factions clearly fingered and with no place to hide, and with the GOP's cherished dignity and authority now lying in shreds entirely of its own volition. I suspect an awful lot of people have yet to grasp the enormity of what has happened, what this means in terms of the way the US's future party-system will be affected and operate, and the monumental damage it will cause to The Land of the Free's self-arrogated exeptionalism along with its influence worldwide.

Otherwise, back on Terra Firma, the Dems have it, with President, House and Senate now all to themselves - until the mid-terms, at least.

And it'll be no picnic for Biden either, with Trump and his GOP toadies having made such a confounded mess of the place.
Gordon
2021-01-08 02:47:30 UTC
Post by James Christophers
[...]
Also, they will continue to behave badly, they will not go away. The GOP has
to decide what to do about rejecting Trump. However that is easier said than
done.

The USA is decaying from what it once was. All civilizations rise and
fall.
Gordon
2021-01-08 02:36:59 UTC
Post by James Christophers
Freedom of speech can never be unconditional, and this applies as much to the President of the United States of America as anyone else.
Twitter has blocked Donald's Trump's account for 12 hours.
Given his posting history and the fact that he is no longer POTUS
(almost), I am surprised Trump still has an account.
So when is almost, not almost?

The folks of the USA have a change over time for changes of Presdients, so
that it is clear who is president. Until noon, 20 January 2021,(local time) Donald J
Trump is President of the USA and as such has all the powers of that office.
Crash
2021-01-08 07:57:48 UTC
Post by James Christophers
Freedom of speech can never be unconditional, and this applies as much to the President of the United States of America as anyone else.
Twitter has blocked Donald's Trump's account for 12 hours.
Given his posting history and the fact that he is no longer POTUS
(almost), I am surprised Trump still has an account.
So when is almost, not almost?
The folks of the USA have a change over time for changes of Presdients, so
that it is clear who is president. Until noon, 20 January 2021,(local time) Donald J
Trump is President of the USA and as such has all the powers of that office.
My comment was that as DT is very near the end of his time in office,
his significance to Twitter (and other social media) is much reduced,
rendering a decision to ban him while still POTUS easier to make.