RNZ says run for your lives -- the sea is rising "fast"
2020-11-19 00:39:16 UTC
More idiocy from Radio New Zealand --
https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-detail/story/2018773000/leaving-the-beach-front-a-political-and-financial-nightmare

The second sentence reads: "New Zealand is a long, slender country --
most of us live less than an hour away from the beach -- and the sea
is rising, fast."

Is it just. Tell it to Te Papa, Wellington's harbourside museum,
which sits lazily on the water's edge. Guess what, you RNZ panickers:
No sea level rise detected! None, nada, zippo.

The idiotic article prattles how a "best case scenario" is a 50cm
sea-level rise by the year 2100. First of all, that's nothing,
booorrringgg. Second, we're not even on the first millimetre yet.
Nothing happening, just ask Te Papa.
George
2020-11-19 01:55:58 UTC
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 00:39:16 GMT
Post by Willy Nilly
More idiocy from Radio New Zealand --
https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-detail/story/2018773000/leaving-the-beach-front-a-political-and-financial-nightmare
The second sentence reads: "New Zealand is a long, slender country --
most of us live less than an hour away from the beach -- and the sea
is rising, fast."
Is it just. Tell it to Te Papa, Wellington's harbourside museum,
No sea level rise detected! None, nada, zippo.
The idiotic article prattles how a "best case scenario" is a 50cm
sea-level rise by the year 2100. First of all, that's nothing,
booorrringgg. Second, we're not even on the first millimetre yet.
Nothing happening, just ask Te Papa.
Think Tide Gages ...
In every harbour...
And none are showing this sea level rise.
And there's always coastal erosion and tidal surges to poke in their
faces :)

It's not just the New Zealand tide gauges George. New York, London and other city's have been keeping records for a couple of centuries or more and none are showing rises. Most of the pics of coastlines changing are of natural erosion not sea level rise. It's pretty obvious from the fact the beaches shown are sand :)
George
2020-11-19 19:04:47 UTC
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 19:08:03 -0800 (PST)
software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
It's not just the New Zealand tide gauges George. New York, London
and other city's have been keeping records for a couple of centuries
or more and none are showing rises. Most of the pics of coastlines
changing are of natural erosion not sea level rise. It's pretty
obvious from the fact the beaches shown are sand :)
Well we did have the effects of the earthquake around Kaikoura where
parts of the seafloor are now above water.. :)
In most part the soundings that Captain Cook took when surveying the
coast are still okay
Firu
2020-11-23 11:47:58 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
More idiocy from Radio New Zealand --
https://www.rnz.co.nz/programmes/the-detail/story/2018773000/leaving-the-beach-front-a-political-and-financial-nightmare
Article is mainly click bait.
Post by Willy Nilly
The second sentence reads: "New Zealand is a long, slender country --
most of us live less than an hour away from the beach -- and the sea
is rising, fast."
In geological terms, yeah. Day to day not so much.
Post by Willy Nilly
Is it just. Tell it to Te Papa, Wellington's harbourside museum,
No sea level rise detected! None, nada, zippo.
Like I said, not day to day. But the historical records show 2.2mm per
year since 1901.

http://infoshare.stats.govt.nz/browse_for_stats/environment/environmental-reporting-series/environmental-indicators/home/marine/coastal-sea-level-rise.aspx
Post by Willy Nilly
The idiotic article prattles how a "best case scenario" is a 50cm
sea-level rise by the year 2100. First of all, that's nothing,
booorrringgg. Second, we're not even on the first millimetre yet.
Nothing happening, just ask Te Papa.
Half a meter is a fair bit, If you live in Wellington, them there
concrete walls will offer some protection but if you live somewhere like
Greymouth it will bugger up the coastline a good bit.
Willy Nilly
2020-11-24 19:17:14 UTC
Post by Firu
Article is mainly click bait.
Yes, and they have another one today about a supposed 2m sea rise in
Nelson by 2150. As though they have a clue. Where are the voices
saying the opposite? They don't get a voice in our media.
Post by Firu
Like I said, not day to day. But the historical records show 2.2mm per
year since 1901.
And yet, shorelines have pushed outwards in that time, mostly due to
landfilling, and some due to earthquakes, e.g. Napier earthquake of
1931 raised the land 6m higher. Wellington has "Lambton Quay", the
old shoreline.
Post by Firu
Half a meter is a fair bit, If you live in Wellington, them there
concrete walls will offer some protection but if you live somewhere like
Greymouth it will bugger up the coastline a good bit.
Easy solution then, Greymouth can build concrete walls for the sea
rise that may never come. They should have some tsunami protection
anyway, isn't that right?
John Bowes
Problem with sea level rise in New Zealand is it's likely to be rising on the west coast and dropping on the east coast due to the Pacific plate subduction zone. Funny how according to the UN experts this has NEVER been taken into consideration :)
Firu
2020-11-25 14:13:21 UTC
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Firu
Article is mainly click bait.
Yes, and they have another one today about a supposed 2m sea rise in
Nelson by 2150. As though they have a clue. Where are the voices
saying the opposite? They don't get a voice in our media.
True, but an article that says nothing to worry about wont sell
advertising. Telling the truth wont either. Mainly because the science
is never clear cut. It can only show the current trend with any
certainty. The future's just an extrapolation of that historical data.
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Firu
Like I said, not day to day. But the historical records show 2.2mm per
year since 1901.
And yet, shorelines have pushed outwards in that time, mostly due to
landfilling, and some due to earthquakes, e.g. Napier earthquake of
1931 raised the land 6m higher. Wellington has "Lambton Quay", the
old shoreline.
But what the earthquake giveth it also taketh away. There's many
examples of submerged cites around the world that sank after
earthquakes. In truth, I'd rather live with the problems we (might) have
than live in the ruins after an earthquake that raised the coastline.

But that's just me.
Post by Willy Nilly
Post by Firu
Half a meter is a fair bit, If you live in Wellington, them there
concrete walls will offer some protection but if you live somewhere like
Greymouth it will bugger up the coastline a good bit.
Easy solution then, Greymouth can build concrete walls for the sea
rise that may never come. They should have some tsunami protection
anyway, isn't that right?
Big concrete walls aren't the best solution to everything ;) defo not
for tsunami protection. The last Japanese tsunami showed that! Best bet
in that case was big hills, always the best bet for saving people from
tsunami.