Whats the Plan, Dan?
2020-03-11 22:42:52 UTC
https://twitter.com/dan_bidois/status/1237548685145194497

"This government has no specific Coronavirus plan, all the have is a
‘cookie cut’ pandemic plan that is out-of-date and not fit for purpose
to deal with this crisis! #nzpol"

Well it is election year, but despite that Dan goes a bit quite in teh
discussion - see the link above).

So what does Dan Bidois really believe we should do? - indeed what do
they think is wrong with the plans andactions that the government has
rolled out?:

https://danbidois.national.org.nz/bulletin_march_2020

"Poet Henry Thoreau once wrote ‘it’s not what you look at that
matters, it’s what you see’. This is befitting of the times we are
living in with coronavirus and reminds us that reality and perspective
are very different things.

Reports of panic buying in supermarkets and other reactions of
apocalyptic proportions are not helpful and don’t match reality.
Currently, epidemiologists put the death rate for the coronavirus in
the range of 0.5%-1%, a little above the rate for the seasonal flu.

There are now confirmed cases of coronavirus on the North Shore.
Rather than panic buying, keep you and your family by doing the basics
well: wash your hands often and with soap, cough into your arm, put
tissues in the bin, don’t touch your nose and face, and avoid close
contact with those who may be sick.

For more info, I urge you to follow the Ministry of Health’s
guidelines HERE."

Comment: Perhaps the discussion from his tweet made him rethink, or
perhaps he just says different things out of each side of his mouth.

Look also here from March 5th:
https://www.facebook.com/DanBidoisMP/posts/526666097978797?__tn__=-R
"By now you'll be aware of a third case of Covid-19, this time
affecting the North Shore.

Beyond the obvious health concerns, National is especially worried
about the impact of Covid-19 on our economy. Trade has stalled, events
have been cancelled, financial markets are in disarray and this
government has NO PLAN to help ease the pressure on New Zealand's
already frail economy.

You'll be seeing from us how we would be dealing with these concerns
shortly, which is more than what this current lot are doing!"
and linked was this article also from 5 March:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/120032148/coronavirus-simon-bridges-to-bring-nationals-economic-plan-forward

which includes:
"The National Party has been critical of the Government's handling of
issue - particularly its communications strategy - and so will bring
forward the first of the so-called "five planks" identified in
Bridges' headland economic speech in February. They are: tax relief,
regulation reduction, infrastructure, small business and families.
Stuff understands that the plank announced will not be tax relief.

"National has a plan, and next week we will release the first plank of
it to be followed soon thereafter by other planks".

Bridges said that the party will be bringing forward its plans to give
Kiwis clarity.

"We will release more soon after. Because we know that workers, small
businesses and families want to know what National will do so they get
some light at the end of the tunnel". Bridges said."

but the article finishes with:
"Where's the plan? I can't see it. If anyone can explain it to me for
our people in health and for the economy, I'd love to know".
_________

And we now know the great plan that Simon Bridges has announced:
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/03/national-leader-simon-bridges-would-light-a-bonfire-of-regulations-if-elected-pm.html

and
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/03/rental-regulations-among-first-national-would-scrap-simon-bridges-says.html
(How does having people in cold houses help in a time when we want
people not to be vulnerable to colds and viruses? - and won;t most
rentals already have heating by the time of the election? - does he
expect landlords to improve profits be removing existing heaters?)

and
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/411431/simon-bridges-reducing-regulation-important-for-strong-economy
which claimed that scaffolding is not necessary for a single story
building).

They may get a bit of resistance to the anti-regulation throw-away:
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO2003/S00110/proposed-bonfire-of-regulations-will-burn-ordinary-new-zealanders.htm
but in any event there is little that was found the last time this
silly throw-away was tried.

But of course there is another issue being promoted by National - that
stand by that can always be dug out when they are bereft of helpful
ideas - Tax Cuts!!

No details of course, but anyone with sense knows they will be of
little help to companies incurring tax losses, or to the most
vulnerable who pay little tax anyway.

So what's the Plan, Dan? More unthinking knee jerk throwing of bad
meat to the desperate?
which repeated the removal of rental regulations
John Bowes
2020-03-11 23:23:08 UTC
[...]
Dan has a plan? Pity Jacinda and company don't! My biggest worry about the coronavirus is we have government bereft of planning skills claiming they'll keep us safe. Sounds like a Tui add if I've ever heard one.

Good on National ditching a stack of Labour/Green/NZFrauds draconian laws. We don't need more controls. Hell it's because of some of them from the past Labours been bleating about a housing crisis while doing nothing to sort the problems out!

As to knee jerk reactions: What else was the reaction of parliament to the nutty Aussies actions twelve months ago if not that?! Guess Winston's circus can add knee jerk reactions to the photo op and lying that they've been so good doing!
Crash
2020-03-12 00:21:59 UTC
[...]
If this is the best you can do Rich you are getting desperate in your
anti-National crusade. I agree with your sentiments on a 'regulations
bonfire'.

Rental landlords are an easy political target. If rental housing was
a profitable enterprise we would see more commercial property
investors diversifying into domestic rentals. Increasing regulations
for rental landlords will possibly drive them into short-term
accommodation (such as AIRBNB). The best solution is that rental
property supply outstrips demand and there is no political party that
can figure out how to do this.

2020-03-12 02:26:53 UTC
[...]
I can't work out what effect removing the regulations regarding rental
housing would have, Crash - certainly nothing that would help us
through the Corvid-19 pandemic - but the regulation regarding heating
is there now - if a heater is installed now and the requirement is
removed in say December, it would not be worthwhile for a landlord to
remove it - so all it would affect is new rental properties after
December. I don't think the restrictions on frequent rent changes have
had much impact - most landlords want tenants to have a reasonable
length of occupancy provided they are not wrecking the place; many
already changed rents annually anyway. . I suspect National know
that removing the requirement for some form of heating will make
virtually no difference, but think it will make them look good.

Of more concern is the accusaton that the government have it all worng
regarding Corvid19 and that what they are doing is not fit for purpose
appears to be dangerously close to trying to create a panic - and
contrasts with the private newsletter to supporters where he
effectively says follow the advice of the government, listen to health
experts and take their advice. That is Trump-like targetted
"marketing" designed to cause concern by those who are not National
supporters, while porivately accepting the government position to
those who will vote for National anyway.
Gordon
2020-03-13 05:25:27 UTC
Rental landlords are an easy political target. If rental housing was
a profitable enterprise we would see more commercial property
investors diversifying into domestic rentals. Increasing regulations
for rental landlords will possibly drive them into short-term
accommodation (such as AIRBNB). The best solution is that rental
property supply outstrips demand and there is no political party that
can figure out how to do this.
The only way this can happen is for the Government to become the largest
landolord in the country, and have spare rentals. Not a vote catcher.

So we have the market forces governing. If landords can not make a profit
for what ever reason then they sell. Simple eh?