Government now admitting: elimination has failed
2021-09-21 21:20:12 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/300412510/covid19-live-we-may-never-get-back-to-zero-cases-in-the-community-says-bloomfield

Moving to level 3 while there are still unlinked communidy transmissions was tacit admission. Now St Ashley has come out and said it.

So we're back to where we started about a year and a half ago, but at least now we are *finally* getting vaccinated. If only we had gone "hard and early" with vaccination in the first place - there would have been no lockdown required this time. So much for the government's bald-faced lie about being at the "head of the queue" for vaccines... they hadn't even ordered any!
John Bowes
2021-09-21 21:25:01 UTC
Bottom line: Just another fail from the current government. Wonder how long before the imbeciles return us to the new 'normal'.
Tony
2021-09-21 21:40:33 UTC
Post by JohnO
Moving to level 3 while there are still unlinked communidy transmissions was
tacit admission. Now St Ashley has come out and said it.
So we're back to where we started about a year and a half ago, but at least
now we are *finally* getting vaccinated. If only we had gone "hard and early"
with vaccination in the first place - there would have been no lockdown
required this time. So much for the government's bald-faced lie about being at
the "head of the queue" for vaccines... they hadn't even ordered any!
Yes and a lot of people will remember this come the next general election, and
so they should. The government has lied right through this, and have reacted to
events for the last few weeks because they did not have a plan for when the
inevitable outbreak occurred.
And while we are at it, how about getting rid of these face masks in
supermarkets and such which are useless against aerosols (delta variant is an
aerosol according to our health experts).
Crash
2021-09-21 22:53:23 UTC
Post by JohnO
[...]
Firstly the Delta variant is a game-changer because infections are
much more transmittable than previous variants. That changes the
scenario of eradication significantly. Labour, as would a National
government, are very unlikely to admit that eradication is no longer
possible (even though vaccines render eradication redundant). That is
the political animal of government - always move forward without a
backward look.

Labour do deserve to be held to account for their inability to deliver
- on most fronts, not just the epidemic. The key to this though is
can National convince the voters that they would be better? Policies
(promises) are a big part of this but so is getting stuff done -
implementing promises and delivering the benefits. National are a
very long way from being able to do this. The difference is that
Jacinda can be inspirational in a way that Judith can never be.

2021-09-21 23:09:06 UTC
Post by JohnO
[...]
Yes I agree. I do not hold National in any regard at the moment (I have never
been a supporter of any party).
They have a long way to go but I hope for an alternative to this government to
develop. We need to have a choice.
Gordon
2021-09-22 01:27:09 UTC
Post by JohnO
[...]
While National are getting their act together, ACT are seeing how much
ground they can grab from National. They certainly have found the opposition
gun and worked out how to fire it.

It has to be said that the checks and balances, which MMP was supposed to
provide have been noticable in their absentence.
Rich80105
2021-09-22 09:59:11 UTC
Post by JohnO
[...]
We have never been aiming for eradication - that is having it
disappear from the word. We have been aiming for elimination from our
community - it has been recognised that we will have travellers arrive
with the virus who are currently largely identified in Managed
isolation / quarantine. Sadly the vaccine does not make elimination
redundant - the vaccine is not 100% effective, and currently it gets
less effective over time. Even if we get 100% vaccination, some will
still catch the disease, and more will be carriers, and may start
another community outbreak, particularly if they infect others through
a 'super spreader" event.

So I expect some border controls to continue - it has been hinted that
we may require a reasonably recent vaccination for example; and from
some countries we may erquire at least a short period of isolation. I
doubt if any of the detail has been decided - that will depend on
experience with higher vaccination levels - which no country has as
yet. I know nothing about later variants.