Housing tax?
2021-07-19 08:39:49 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/125796416/tax-on-all-housing-needed-to-fix-distortion-of-social-fabric

Okay so this idea might not stand up to a deep look but at least it is a
reasoned point of view. Which is more than the Government has delivered to
date.

The issue is a complex one. The attitude that property is an finanical
investment is rooted deeply in our history and it is going to be hard to get
51% of the voters on one side to start some fundemental changes started.

Part of the problem is one of the policy of making the cities more dense.
This is a good idea but it does push up land values in the centre of the
city.
Rich80105
2021-07-19 10:21:22 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/125796416/tax-on-all-housing-needed-to-fix-distortion-of-social-fabric
Okay so this idea might not stand up to a deep look but at least it is a
reasoned point of view. Which is more than the Government has delivered to
date.
The issue is a complex one. The attitude that property is an finanical
investment is rooted deeply in our history and it is going to be hard to get
51% of the voters on one side to start some fundemental changes started.
Part of the problem is one of the policy of making the cities more dense.
This is a good idea but it does push up land values in the centre of the
city.
I agree that these options should be discussed. The advantage of
applying normal capital gains tax is that the money is there from sale
proceeds when the tax needs to be paid. That is how it works for
property owned by commercial companies, insurance companies, and
superannuation funds. That is also how it works for gains on sale of
other investments like shares. I see no reason why we exempt
landlords from paying normal capital gains tax on the sale of a house
- adjustments for people living in a house before or after it has been
a rental investment would not be difficult.