Covid Card dead?
2020-09-03 01:26:06 UTC
Bernard Hickey says it is:

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/back-to-government-as-usual-on-covidcard

Who do we believe? Is the Health Department as risk-averse as Hickey
believes?

There is certainly criticism of reliance on smart phone apps for
contact tracing, and the Covid Card does have the advantage of
simplicity and no dependence on the technology knowledge on the part
of the user. However how accurate is it?

2020-09-03 06:20:54 UTC
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/back-to-government-as-usual-on-covidcard
Who do we believe? Is the Health Department as risk-averse as Hickey
believes?
There is certainly criticism of reliance on smart phone apps for
contact tracing, and the Covid Card does have the advantage of
simplicity and no dependence on the technology knowledge on the part
of the user. However how accurate is it?
Its not clear what role Sam Morgan has had in the prposed development;
we don't know how the Rotorua trial went, and there may be more
problems with bluetooth than with smart phone technology.

Use of the Covid tracker has increased hugely in the last month; many
of us are finding it a lot easier with practice, and it helps that
there are more posters around early on queuing to register was
holding people up.

Our track and trace efforts seem to be working quite well; but it may
still be worth developing better solutions if we may be in and out of
Level 2 for a year or so. I understand the police can use mobile
phones to track people through mobile phones in some places - perhaps
that could be extended.
Gordon
2020-09-03 07:04:07 UTC
[...]
The problem here is one of Who does one trust? Having had years of big
co-operations data havesting as a business model and Governments as well it
is a case of mistrust growing fast and all phones will be dropped
(literally).

The Covid card needs to be carried around ones neck to work, I read. Can not
see that happening either.

There is no magic tech silver bullet. You have to have an arsenal. This is
after all war.
George
2020-09-03 20:08:08 UTC
On Thu, 03 Sep 2020 13:26:06 +1200
Post by Crash
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/back-to-government-as-usual-on-covidcard
Who do we believe? Is the Health Department as risk-averse as Hickey
believes?
There is certainly criticism of reliance on smart phone apps for
contact tracing, and the Covid Card does have the advantage of
simplicity and no dependence on the technology knowledge on the part
of the user. However how accurate is it?
Put people in the circuit and reliability and such goes out the window.
Beware the track and tracing tools.
They're going to come back and bite.

The government is not our friend, supposedly it is our servant but they
have a different opinion...