The Greens in the new Government?
2020-10-19 07:08:34 UTC
Now that it appears that Labour will have a clear majority in
Parliament, I am astounded at suggestions that the Greens should be
involved in forming a Government. This defies logic because it would
normally require that there be Greens MPs in Cabinet and some
concessions by Labour to Greens policy. Why?

There may well be an agreement between Labour and the Greens on some
issues, but Labour have been elected to govern alone. No handbrake
party (and that's what the Greens would be), however friendly they may
be.

2020-10-19 07:45:00 UTC
Now that it appears that Labour will have a clear majority in
Parliament, I am astounded at suggestions that the Greens should be
involved in forming a Government. This defies logic because it would
normally require that there be Greens MPs in Cabinet and some
concessions by Labour to Greens policy. Why?
There may well be an agreement between Labour and the Greens on some
issues, but Labour have been elected to govern alone. No handbrake
party (and that's what the Greens would be), however friendly they may
be.
Potentially a mole/cuckoo-in-the-nest no-no if ever there were.

Shaw isn't even an electorate MP and there is nothing Arden needs to concede to the Greens. So possibly a Green or two in minor/junior minister portfolios but certainly none in cabinet where single-party policies and strategems are developed and worked through.
Gordon
2020-10-19 08:04:15 UTC
Now that it appears that Labour will have a clear majority in
Parliament, I am astounded at suggestions that the Greens should be
involved in forming a Government. This defies logic because it would
normally require that there be Greens MPs in Cabinet and some
concessions by Labour to Greens policy. Why?
A thought. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Or payback time for the Greens having supported them over the last three
years

Or policy made on the fly.
Post by Crash
There may well be an agreement between Labour and the Greens on some
issues, but Labour have been elected to govern alone.
Under our system we have elected 120MPs to Govern. Now they are deciding how
to do this.

I do not see the Greens as being a handbrake but rather a drunk teenager
getting into trouble. Which is why having them in the fold make be a darn
good idea.

Remember Jancida is the "kindness" PM, and if the Members in the House can
debate ideas rather than shout at the other side across the floor no harm
will have been done.
James Christophers
2020-10-19 22:59:46 UTC
Post by Crash
There may well be an agreement between Labour and the Greens on some
issues, but Labour have been elected to govern alone.
Under our system we have elected 120MPs to Govern.
120 to represent the nation in toto, 64 of whom have been elected to govern.

Now they are deciding how
It would be fair to assume that for the time being most of the shouting will be conducted in private in National's fetid caucus room, allowing, of course, for a juicy leak or two here and there... Much of it will be sedulously devoted to addressing their leader's foolhardy assault on a third of New Zealanders who, in their doughty lumbering comportment, share with her a distinctive girthsomeness akin rather more to line-bred heifer genetics than to human.
John Bowes
Take care Keith your left wing bias is shining bright red. Quite funny coming from an idiot with a 250kg ego :)
Mutlley
2020-10-19 22:10:28 UTC
Now that it appears that Labour will have a clear majority in
Parliament, I am astounded at suggestions that the Greens should be
involved in forming a Government. This defies logic because it would
normally require that there be Greens MPs in Cabinet and some
concessions by Labour to Greens policy. Why?
There may well be an agreement between Labour and the Greens on some
issues, but Labour have been elected to govern alone. No handbrake
party (and that's what the Greens would be), however friendly they may
be.
If the marxist greens have any part of running this country over the
next three years the country is really screwed. . Welcome to the
Banana Republic of New Venezuela.