Tui: taking the piss? (pun intended)
2007-02-01 08:15:32 UTC
While following up on another thread I came on this (being a dark-beer
enthusiast)...

http://www.tui.co.nz/toki_dark.asp

The whole page is just edgy enough ('West Indian Pale Ale'???? 'Available only
on tap at selected <not named> bars'????) to wonder if this is a piss-take.

8-)

Crash.
brazen
2007-02-01 20:33:13 UTC
While following up on another thread I came on this (being a dark-beer
enthusiast)...
http://www.tui.co.nz/toki_dark.asp
The whole page is just edgy enough ('West Indian Pale Ale'???? 'Available only
on tap at selected <not named> bars'????) to wonder if this is a piss-take.
west indian pale ale - heh. Well its at my local, my partner drinks
it.

They have *very* good marketers. I drink Tui down at the pub, and it
is probably down to the marketing as its not a whole lot different
from on tap to Monteiths Original (or other beers for that matter),
but I guess the marketing (and the fact that Monteiths is no longer
West Coast made) have swayed me to change. Not so much the pretty
female workers gag, more the Yeah, right campaign and the fact they
make a big deal about coming from a very small country town - half the
country now know Mangatainoka. Capturing 3 types of customers with 3
lines of marketing, and doing all of them well - clever!

Gay
misanthropic_curmudgeon
2007-02-01 21:58:27 UTC
Post by brazen
I drink Tui down at the pub,
I was weaned onto the stuff!
Warwick
2007-02-01 22:11:53 UTC
Post by brazen
Post by Crash
[...]
I cannot get my head around that campaigns underlying concept. Particularly
gorgeous women will never drink Tui. If they feel that way about the beer,
how will they react to a bloke that drinks the stuff? Tui drinkers have
less chance of getting laid by gorgeous chicks than (say) Stella Artois
drinkers. And that is a bloody good reason not to drink Tui.
cheers
brazen
2007-02-01 22:41:12 UTC
Post by Warwick
Post by brazen
Post by Crash
[...]
I'm not too sure about that - Stella makes out its drinkers are so
dense they'd rather see a pot of money burn than waste a drop....

Broke and drunk, hardly chick magnets ;)

Gay
misanthropic_curmudgeon
2007-02-01 23:59:21 UTC
They were Frenchmen, after all.
Enkidu
2007-02-02 06:48:18 UTC
Post by misanthropic_curmudgeon
Post by brazen
Stella makes out its drinkers are so
dense they'd rather see a pot of money burn than waste a drop....
They were Frenchmen, after all.
Belgians, if you are referring to the brewers of Stella Artois.

Cheers,

Cliff
'hilarious', it usually isn't?
misanthropic_curmudgeon
2007-02-02 00:04:22 UTC
Post by Warwick
I cannot get my head around that campaigns underlying concept. Particularly
gorgeous women will never drink Tui. If they feel that way about the beer,
how will they react to a bloke that drinks the stuff?
You dont drink beer to get laid, you drink it so the _other_ person
can get laid.
TarlaStar
2007-02-02 03:59:44 UTC
Post by Warwick
Post by brazen
Post by Crash
[...]
It's not that they will never drink it...it's that it doesn't tempt them
the way it does men. Tui is a very drinkable beer, but the best just
good old down the hatch beer in NZ is Mike's Mild from White Cliffs
Brewery, imho.
Scooter
2007-02-02 02:23:22 UTC
On , , Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:15:32 +1300, Tui: taking the piss?
Post by Crash
While following up on another thread I came on this (being a dark-beer
enthusiast)...
http://www.tui.co.nz/toki_dark.asp
The whole page is just edgy enough ('West Indian Pale Ale'???? 'Available only
on tap at selected <not named> bars'????) to wonder if this is a piss-take.
Or a turd take, the reference to the Mangatainoka "brown trout"
seems to indicate some town is discharging raw sewage into the
river.
Enkidu
2007-02-02 06:45:30 UTC
While following up on another thread I came on this (being a dark-beer
enthusiast)...
http://www.tui.co.nz/toki_dark.asp
The whole page is just edgy enough ('West Indian Pale Ale'????
'Available only on tap at selected <not named> bars'????) to wonder if
this is a piss-take.
Well, an IPA could never be a dark, so my guess is yes, it is.

Cheers,

Cliff
'hilarious', it usually isn't?
a_l_p
2007-02-02 10:04:34 UTC
Post by Enkidu
Post by Crash
While following up on another thread I came on this (being a dark-beer
enthusiast)...
http://www.tui.co.nz/toki_dark.asp
The whole page is just edgy enough ('West Indian Pale Ale'????
'Available only on tap at selected <not named> bars'????) to wonder if
this is a piss-take.
Well, an IPA could never be a dark, so my guess is yes, it is.
I googled this because it seemed contradictory and it piqued my curiosity and
found that India Pale Ale can indeed be, well, not VERY dark but not pale,
depends what it is brewed in. And the defining characteristics are mainly the
quantity and type of hops used in various ways in the brewing process to give it
good keeping quality.

So I googled again:

"Tui India Pale Ale 4% alc/vol
Orange brown colour, estery on the nose with a sweet, flat palate. 3/5"

from http://www.captimes.co.nz/rev/37/n/1043/BeerNecessities.boss

Looks like it's real all right.

A L P
Sue Bilstein
Sweet, flat - blecch.
a_l_p
2007-02-02 11:05:17 UTC
Post by Sue Bilstein
Post by a_l_p
I googled this because it seemed contradictory and it piqued my curiosity and
found that India Pale Ale can indeed be, well, not VERY dark but not pale,
depends what it is brewed in. And the defining characteristics are mainly the
quantity and type of hops used in various ways in the brewing process to give it
good keeping quality.
"Tui India Pale Ale 4% alc/vol
Orange brown colour, estery on the nose with a sweet, flat palate. 3/5"
from http://www.captimes.co.nz/rev/37/n/1043/BeerNecessities.boss
Looks like it's real all right.
Sweet, flat - blecch.
Actually with the amount of hops the descriptions of IPA I found during my
googling (apart from this Tui one) seem to emphasise hoppiness and a decently
bitter flavour, making it sound like a fairly decent drink. But sweet and flat
ain't my handle of amber fluid either.

A L P
Enkidu
2007-02-02 23:12:38 UTC
Post by Sue Bilstein
Post by a_l_p
I googled this because it seemed contradictory and it piqued my curiosity and
found that India Pale Ale can indeed be, well, not VERY dark but not pale,
depends what it is brewed in. And the defining characteristics are mainly the
quantity and type of hops used in various ways in the brewing process to give it
good keeping quality.
"Tui India Pale Ale 4% alc/vol
Orange brown colour, estery on the nose with a sweet, flat palate. 3/5"
from http://www.captimes.co.nz/rev/37/n/1043/BeerNecessities.boss
Looks like it's real all right.
Sweet, flat - blecch.
I don't like it myself, but it is sweet to overcome the bitterness a little.

Let's get it right, though - lagers (and other top-fermented beers)
should be gassy. and should be served cold, while ales (and other
bottom-fermented beers) should be served with little or no gas (apart
from that used to lift it and give it a head) and should be served at
room temperature.

In general, that is.

Neither class of beer tastes nice if not served properly.

Incidentally, this fad for fizzy cold beers is very modern. It's
probably less than 100 years old. At one time all beers and ales used to
be served less gassed and at (cool) room temperature.

I attribute the desire for chilled beers to be the result of exporting
beer to warmer climes and the advent of fridges. The chilled beer types
were developed *because* refrigerators existed, not the other way around.

I think that the desire for fizzy beers originated in the post-war years
when kids drinking fizzy pop grew up into beer drinkers and carried the
taste for fizziness into their beer-drinking ages. Also fizzy beer keeps
better in bottles and cans.

When I werre a laad back in Zummerzet, it was comparatively rare to see
bottled beer in pubs. Everything was in barrels. Any gas was the natural
residue from the brewing process.

Cheers,

Cliff
'hilarious', it usually isn't?
Dave Doe
2007-02-02 12:10:41 UTC
In article <epv2hb$51r$***@lust.ihug.co.nz>, ***@eyehug.co.nz
says...
Post by a_l_p
Post by Enkidu
Post by Crash
[...]
Yeah it can be dark (had one the other night at a tasting, can't recall
the name though).

The defining characteristic of IPA is the hops, ie lots of them. Back
in the old days the Brits shipped their beer to India they found that it
didn't keep well in the Indian temps, so to counter that, they found
that lots of hops helps. And so IPA was born.

Some of the best IPA's are coming out of the many and wonderful micro-
breweries round the great lakes area.
Duncan
TarlaStar
2007-02-02 16:50:59 UTC
Post by a_l_p
Post by Enkidu
Post by Crash
[...]
Actually, Tui isn't hoppy enough to be a proper IPA. They had to make
the alcohol content and hop content high enough to have a decent tasting
beer by the time it got around Africa and made it to India. Most IPA's
that I've tasted are more bitter than Tui. I'm not saying that as a
disparagement of Tui, but more of a clarification. I like Tui. I only
drink IPA when I have to.
brazen
2007-02-02 21:00:46 UTC
Post by TarlaStar
Post by a_l_p
Post by Enkidu
Post by Crash
[...]
Well Tui IPA is made for the kiwi palate so it served cold and fizzy -
not how one should be
Enkidu
2007-02-02 23:15:21 UTC
Post by brazen
Post by TarlaStar
Post by a_l_p
Post by Enkidu
Post by Crash
[...]
Cold and fizzy is good for modern IPAs. Cold and fizzy blunt the
hoppiness a little but the aftertaste breaks through. But I find them
too sweet.

Cheers,

Cliff
'hilarious', it usually isn't?
brazen
2007-02-03 22:51:45 UTC
Post by Enkidu
Post by brazen
Post by TarlaStar
Post by a_l_p
Post by Enkidu
Post by Crash
[...]
Yuck, I much prefer hand drawn and tepid, uk style

gay