Well done
2020-03-23 02:50:03 UTC
The decision is right.
We have low debt to GDP ratio compared to most OECD countries and we can afford
to borrow the money.
This results from good governance for the past 20 years.
Grant Robertson looks like he is competent and the leader of the opposition
equally so.
Time to pay back.
Crash
2020-03-23 08:05:54 UTC
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 21:50:03 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Tony
The decision is right.
We have low debt to GDP ratio compared to most OECD countries and we can afford
to borrow the money.
This results from good governance for the past 20 years.
Grant Robertson looks like he is competent and the leader of the opposition
equally so.
Time to pay back.
Pity it is a blanket ban though. While I have no problem with public
facilities like council venues and large churches being closed,
extending it to small bars and restaurants when there nearest COVID-19
case is far away seems excessive. We are too far from a major centre
to have hordes descend on us because businesses accommodating, say,
less than 20 people are open.

I accept the reasoning behind decisions taken, but the decision makers
need to acknowledge risk levels are not the same everywhere.

2020-03-23 08:52:25 UTC
Post by Tony
The decision is right.
We have low debt to GDP ratio compared to most OECD countries and we can afford
to borrow the money.
This results from good governance for the past 20 years.
Grant Robertson looks like he is competent and the leader of the opposition
equally so.
Time to pay back.
Pity it is a blanket ban though. While I have no problem with public
facilities like council venues and large churches being closed,
extending it to small bars and restaurants when there nearest COVID-19
case is far away seems excessive. We are too far from a major centre
to have hordes descend on us because businesses accommodating, say,
less than 20 people are open.
I accept the reasoning behind decisions taken, but the decision makers
need to acknowledge risk levels are not the same everywhere.
I understand and appreciate the reason for the point you make, but
unfortunately the speed of transmission of this virus is such that
such exemptions would have both complicated decisions that are
already fairly complex, and potentially raised the level of risk in
some communities. Many restaurants, cafes and fast food shops were
already struggling anyway as people avoided the perceived risk; with
no tourists even isolated areas will have been affected by now anyway.
Whatever decisions were made there are valid reasons for arguments for
some aspects to have been made a little earlier or a little later - we
may never know if changes were too early or too late in terms of days,
but the stepped approach did mean that change was laregly able to be
absorbed and rationalised before the changes of the next day.
James Christophers
2020-03-23 22:25:06 UTC
The decision is right.
We have low debt to GDP ratio compared to most OECD countries and we can afford
to borrow the money.
As I've mentioned on this group many time previously en passant, the ratio is currently approximately 20% of GDP - good news domestically, good news abroad among our creditors and credit-ratings agencies. Better still, New Zealand has never once yet been obliged to kneel to the IMF, nor has it ever once welshed on its financial obligations.

But there is always that snake in the grass: private debt. With this still the big negative dogging the economy from all sides, other debt has to be kept compensatingly low to maintain **total** national indebtedness at a level where we can still be sure of receiving that AA uptick from the overseas credit agencies - since it is they who determine our credit worthiness and readiness of Big Finance to hand over the loot.

Joyce's smoke-and-mirrors "$11 billion fiscal hole" has yet to manifest itself (mmm...forgotten about that one, hadn't you, everyone?). However, the multiple clear and present dangers now at our door mean that Robertson, Orr and Treasury will be concentrating their considerable minds and forces over the next three months or so and, I hope, with a rigour which, historically, has not always been by no means the case.
Post by Tony
This results from good governance for the past 20 years.
(Far too glossed-over and conveniently subjective... meaningless)
Post by Tony
Grant Robertson looks like he is competent and the leader of the opposition
equally so.
For Robertson noone needs reminding. As for Bridges...

Doubtless a decent fellow of sorts, of course, but the current leader of the opposition has no responsibility for current decision-making and governance of the country and clearly cannot therefore be assessed for his competence in that regard. But it is to his credit that he's come onside in the Covid-19 crisis, albeit he could be excused for showing a touch of recalcitrance at having effectively to concede - on camera - that the entire initiative has been in the gift of the current PM.

So as for any politician on the sidelines, with Bridges it's inevitably been about forced necessity, never wisdom. After all, what other choice is left to the poor, croaking fish..?

As for the PM herself: the people of the US and the UK should take a long, hard look at the fish-shop lass from down under to learn the essence of what it takes to be a leader; and a leader who has not only **the** persona and delivery appropriate to an in-yer-face crisis of a kind no-one had ever thought could happen, but also a rare gift for sheer 'spine' and natural poise when it comes to fronting a country in the full glare of world publicity. Clarity in delivery is paramount at such troubling times, and she has it in spades, and then some.

Lastly, to paraphrase, “Cometh the hour, cometh the woman”.

So now compare Ardern with that absurd spaffing nincompoop, nothing-but-lies Johnson and that beyond-grotesque and degenerate doppelganger across the fishpond. Neither of these mendacious, self-serving thugs should be anywhere near governance of any sort. In terms of national policies and, critically, the current coronavirus disaster, these products of wholesale graft and corruption are so hobbled and poisoned by an almost medieval devine-right-to-rule mindset pile-driven into them during early lives of unearned-privilege, unearned over-promotion, and obscene unearned wealth, that they are blinded to all other factors when it comes to wielding the powers vested in them.

That’s right...you really don't know how lucky you are.

Think on...