The policies money can buy . . .
2020-03-08 07:51:10 UTC
We like to think that we have rational discussions, with decisions
made by getting the best advise and information, making good decisions
to balance competing interests, and having laws and regulations that
enhance our freedoms, our safety, and the world for future generations

But are we instead selling policies for money? :

*** Fisheries
Known as one of New Zealand's most controversial employers, the
National Party somehat surprisingly gave a knighthood to one of the
Talleys.

Both NZ First and National have been 'helpful' to fisheries over
compliance with regulations - despite widespread evidence of
non-compliance - and now there are specific payments being queried to
NZ First.

*** Gun control:
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2020/03/03/1066194/extremists-able-to-own-guns-under-national-sop
"Under National's SOP, the Christchurch accused would have been able
to obtain a firearms license even if Police had known about his
extremist views, because he had not been convicted under the HRA or
HDCA."
and "Under Brett Hudson's SOP, extremists like former National Front
secretary Kerry Bolton and members of the white supremacist group
Action Zealandia would be able to gain a firearms license ."

https://www.pundit.co.nz/content/tomorrow-and-tomorrow-and-tomorrow
Do we really need about 6.5 times as many guns per capita as residents
of the UK and 2.5 times as many as Australians?

Why do National and NZ First resist even a register like Australia
has?

*** Seats in parliament.
The infamous discusson between Jami Lee Ross and Simon Bridges get a
lot of airtime for the issue of hiding a donation, but what about
selling a position on their list to become an MP? And have they done
that already? Left open is what the Chinese Communists may have
thought they could get for their money . . .

and this may not have been the only donation from that source:
https://yournz.org/2020/03/06/jami-lee-ross-claims-national-received-foreign-donations/
Crash
2020-03-09 00:37:03 UTC
We like to think that we have rational discussions, with decisions
made by getting the best advise and information, making good decisions
to balance competing interests, and having laws and regulations that
enhance our freedoms, our safety, and the world for future generations
That might have been true with past governments, but is not true with
the current one?
Post by Rich80105
*** Fisheries
Known as one of New Zealand's most controversial employers, the
National Party somehat surprisingly gave a knighthood to one of the
Talleys.
Rich you are correct that Sir Peter Talley was knighted in 2015 by a
National Government. You appear to have failed to note that in 2002
he was appointed to the NZ Order of Merit. So he was first honoured
by a Labour government, and according to Wikipedia the knighthood in
2015 was a promotion.
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Good question.
Post by Rich80105
*** Seats in parliament.
The infamous discusson between Jami Lee Ross and Simon Bridges get a
lot of airtime for the issue of hiding a donation, but what about
selling a position on their list to become an MP? And have they done
that already? Left open is what the Chinese Communists may have
thought they could get for their money . . .
https://yournz.org/2020/03/06/jami-lee-ross-claims-national-received-foreign-donations/
Equally good question.

You appear to have omitted the fact that the Electoral Commission has
referred its suspicions about NZF party donations having been made to
NZF (the foundation). If you are going to post a thread on 'The
Policies Money can buy' then this is on a scale that vastly exceeds
all of what you have outlined. Yes these are unproven, but Stuff in
particular has published details without the Parliamentary privilege
so beloved by Winston Peters in his role of political whistleblower.

2020-03-09 01:15:35 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
You are correct - I partially covered NZ First issues under fisheries,
where the behaviour of both National and NZ First appears to have been
similar in backing off sensible monitoring of what Fishing companies
are actually doing, but for both there are general issues. Greater
disclosure is not enough; I suspect that all donations should be
required to be from individuals who are entitled to vote in our
elections, but there are many ways to get around even that for
ancilliary services. Restricting spending to money collected from
voters within say the 24 months prior to an election may be another
possibility to consider.

There are other issues where money appears to be infuencing newspapers
and to be"skewing' perceptions. The following url is not from New
Zealand, but this is a world wide issue - distorted science can
obscure discussion here as well as in other countries.

https://www.ftm.nl/dutch-multinationals-funded-climate-sceptic
Gordon
2020-03-09 05:54:31 UTC
We like to think that we have rational discussions, with decisions
made by getting the best advise and information, making good decisions
to balance competing interests, and having laws and regulations that
enhance our freedoms, our safety, and the world for future generations
*** Fisheries
Known as one of New Zealand's most controversial employers, the
National Party somehat surprisingly gave a knighthood to one of the
Talleys.
Look, my Father often said Knighthoods when with the job. So no surprise
there. PM's have been known to get them while in office.
Post by Rich80105
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2020/03/03/1066194/extremists-able-to-own-guns-under-national-sop
"Under National's SOP, the Christchurch accused would have been able
to obtain a firearms license even if Police had known about his
extremist views, because he had not been convicted under the HRA or
HDCA."
and "Under Brett Hudson's SOP, extremists like former National Front
secretary Kerry Bolton and members of the white supremacist group
Action Zealandia would be able to gain a firearms license ."
https://www.pundit.co.nz/content/tomorrow-and-tomorrow-and-tomorrow
Do we really need about 6.5 times as many guns per capita as residents
of the UK and 2.5 times as many as Australians?
Why do National and NZ First resist even a register like Australia
has?
Votes. Boom Boom as Basil Brush would say.
Well that is something to think about, a China Chinese on a list of MP's.
Rich80105
2020-03-09 19:17:27 UTC
Post by Rich80105
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2020/03/03/1066194/extremists-able-to-own-guns-under-national-sop
"Under National's SOP, the Christchurch accused would have been able
to obtain a firearms license even if Police had known about his
extremist views, because he had not been convicted under the HRA or
HDCA."
and "Under Brett Hudson's SOP, extremists like former National Front
secretary Kerry Bolton and members of the white supremacist group
Action Zealandia would be able to gain a firearms license ."
https://www.pundit.co.nz/content/tomorrow-and-tomorrow-and-tomorrow
Do we really need about 6.5 times as many guns per capita as residents
of the UK and 2.5 times as many as Australians?
Why do National and NZ First resist even a register like Australia
has?
Votes. Boom Boom as Basil Brush would say.
A very risky proposition - being seen as supporting Nazis and the
Christchurch shooter won't win many votes - and I am not sure who in
New Zealand is prepared to pay much money to stop a register. I can
understand some wanting to keep their automatic weapons, but a bit of
paper-keeping should not deter "hard working New Zealanders". . . and
National has indicated they would object to ''user pays" in this case
- that is only intended to apply to things like public transport that
their voters don't use . . .
*** Seats in parliament.
The infamous discusson between Jami Lee Ross and Simon Bridges get a
lot of airtime for the issue of hiding a donation, but what about
selling a position on their list to become an MP? And have they done
that already? Left open is what the Chinese Communists may have
thought they could get for their money . . .
Well that is something to think about, a China Chinese on a list of MP's.
I think any such person would have to become a New Zealand citizen
first, but being able to get the Leader of the Oposition a meeting
with the head of Chinese Security is clearly a benefit . . . .
Tony
2020-03-09 19:37:10 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
WShat unbelieveable rubbish.
Of course many National supporters use public transport, probably more than 50%
at a guess.
And who excactly supports Nazis and terrorists?
So what? A nothingness.
John Bowes
2020-03-09 21:50:24 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Labour and the Greens. The register rich waffles aboutDidn't a doesn't work in new Zealand or Australia. Hell the local cops have been raiding gun owners who have registered their sales to others! It's a pity Rich never reads past a headline and only posts what the voices tell him to. The suckers just another delusional Joan of Ark :)
So what? A nothingness.
Rich80105
2020-03-09 22:24:57 UTC
On Mon, 09 Mar 2020 14:37:10 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by Rich80105
[...]
What unbelieveable rubbish.
Really? National were objecting to their being charges for
registration of guns - have they changed their mind?
Of course many National supporters use public transport, probably more than 50%
at a guess.
That would certainly be remarkeable, Tony:
https://www.ehinz.ac.nz/indicators/transport/main-mode-of-transport-to-work/#public-transport-use-increases-from-2001-to-2013
And who excactly supports Nazis and terrorists?
Any one that promotes a policy that allows them to buy weapons such as
those used by the Christchurch shooter, Tony
*** Seats in parliament.
The infamous discusson between Jami Lee Ross and Simon Bridges get a
lot of airtime for the issue of hiding a donation, but what about
selling a position on their list to become an MP? And have they done
that already? Left open is what the Chinese Communists may have
thought they could get for their money . . .
Well that is something to think about, a China Chinese on a list of MP's.
I think any such person would have to become a New Zealand citizen
first, but being able to get the Leader of the Oposition a meeting
with the head of Chinese Security is clearly a benefit . . . .
So what? A nothingness.
You are probably right, Tony. the meeting may well have been a
nothingness, but Simon Bridges did seem quite pleased at the time.
John Bowes
2020-03-10 00:15:53 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
So what exactly is a gun register going to achieve Rich? Apart from the fact the idiots Winston made government want people to advise the gun moves even when going down to the range!?
Post by Rich80105
Of course many National supporters use public transport, probably more than 50%
at a guess.
https://www.ehinz.ac.nz/indicators/transport/main-mode-of-transport-to-work/#public-transport-use-increases-from-2001-to-2013
And who excactly supports Nazis and terrorists?
Any one that promotes a policy that allows them to buy weapons such as
those used by the Christchurch shooter, Tony
The policy did NOT promote that Rich! The Aussie idioy had a rifle he didn't have the licence for because idiots like the current government didn't know what they were setting up when gun laws were tightened. You love lying Rich we all know this but here's an inconvenient fact for you! The Aussie didn't buy the rifles he used. He brought modifications that changed it's class! something fuckwits like you and the Labour/Greens are either to stupid to understand or quite happy to push the lie!
Tony
2020-03-10 03:58:58 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
There is no party in this country that supports Nazis or terrorists and your
continued innuendo and suggestion otherwise is worse than anything else you
have ever posted. All you have written here is predicated on that offensive
untruth.
Post by Rich80105
Of course many National supporters use public transport, probably more than 50%
at a guess.
Nonsense there is no evidence of that - abother lie.
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Stupidity removed. Off topic and lies.