Data Breakdown
2021-08-29 01:25:40 UTC
From the Stuff 1pm live page

Release more data, National says

National's Covid-19 spokesperson Chris Bishop has called on the
Government to be more "upfront" with its release of Covid-19 data.

"National, like commentators and public health experts, is calling
on the Government and Ministry of Health to be more transparent.
Journalists shouldn't have to negotiate and request with the
Ministry of Health daily for basic information that helps the
public understand the current outbreak.

"Raw numbers each day are no longer adequate."

Bishop said the ministry needs to release more "sophisticated"
information as other countries do. This could include a further
breakdown of the raw number of contacts, more detail about the
daily cases, including where they contracted the virus, how many
essential workers have tested positive and were infectious in
the community, if there's been community transmission during
lockdown, and what the estimated reproductive value (R0) is.

"New Zealanders are entitled to know what is going on."

He said people were becoming anxious that numbers are
continuing to rise this far into lockdown. "These rising case
numbers may not be cause for concern if the public can see that
the bulk of our cases are in fact household or other close contacts."

Unquote

There we are the opposition is starting to wake up. Be interesting to see
what happens.

I do think that there needs to be more effort put into providing all the
data in a full, and transparent way. Which is the scientific way.

Any public concerns that the data is being filtered without good reason will
only lead to rumour and enduendo , while allowing mis-information to spread.
Willy Nilly
2021-08-29 02:22:16 UTC
Here's how NSW produces its scintillating COVID death count:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9936731/Records-tumble-NSW-state-records-1-218-new-Covid-cases.html

---- begin excerpt ----
Despite the ever-growing list of Covid-related deaths, Dr Jeremy
McNulty from NSW Health acknowledged that it is 'very difficult to
know' whether someone with Covid died from the virus, or another
health complication.

'We know when elderly people die, they can have a range of
comorbidities, and also, being old increases your risk of death,' he
said.

'Covid may often play a role in the death, but it may not, sometimes,
some of our cases who have sadly died appear to have recovered from
Covid, and then they have died of something.

'We report people who have died with Covid, unless there is a very
clear alternative.'
---- end excerpt ----

IOW, it's all done with smoke and mirrors, folks.
James Christophers
2021-08-29 02:27:07 UTC
From the Stuff 1pm live page
[...]
Well observed, Gordon.

When adding to the common Covid-response commentary, I’ve previously mentioned the inevitable, increased admin workload and available skills/talent/manpower numbers versus population numbers.

If these are now at their natural/inevitable limits or anywhere near them, then the concise shorter-form delivery - i.e. “what you most need to know **now**” - may well be all that can in all good faith be managed and achieved via the readily assimilated across-the-board layman’s media.

Yes, National’s Covid-response spokesman Bishop may well have a valid point if only that, on the other side of the coin, there is the endless half-cock trotting out of the misinformation and unwitting or downright deliberate disinformation so beloved of New Zealand’s numberless parish-pump gossips and alarmists. Such organised fomenting of fears and neuroses, occasional public disorder, even, serves no purpose whatever other than to further heighten already existing tensions and concerns amongst the population at large.

A two-way scenario not so easily solved or resolved, then.
Rich80105
2021-08-29 02:48:54 UTC
On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:27:07 -0700 (PDT), James Christophers
From the Stuff 1pm live page
[...]
I don't think the situation is that dire. A lot of information is
clearly avaialble to the experts that develop the recommendations to
government, but given the relatively low numbers that are invovled
they naturally need to respect privacy for individuals. The daily
briefings have to also balance the volume of information to be given
in the daily briefings with the tolerance of the sudience to listen to
details that do not directly affect most of the public, against a
concern by critics that the length of the briefings needs tobe
shortened to limit exposure to a politician, but also from many of the
same people that the briefings should include sufficient details for
each area of interest so New Zealanders can make up their own minds .
. the result of which is that the briefing is merely a fairly quick
summary, given the complexity of the subject, and more data is given
in the official websites. Over time, the data available has been
increased , but subject to protecting the privacy of individuals.

Meantime, there are changes in concepts that we are slowly coming to
understand. There was a perception that vaccination gave total
immunity - that is now seen to be wrong; a vaccinated person can catch
Covid, and also that the infection. Second there was the concept of
'herd immunity' - initially assessed as needing to be about 60% to 65%
to be effective, now seen to not be totally effective even with 100%
vaccination. We are also seeing that while catching covid is fairly
mild for many, that is not always the case; "long Covid" can be
horribly life-changing; and we also know that the newer varian of
Covid will attack younger people, and that people can catch the
infection more than once.
See for example:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/300391716/covid19-you-dont-know-how-lucky-you-are-new-zealand
JohnO
Ahem. Well, I did say this yesterday...
George Black
2021-08-29 19:48:40 UTC
From the Stuff 1pm live page
[...]
At some stage the virus will really be an epidemic here.
Cindy at the dais knows this and hopes it wont happen on her watch
JohnO
Change epidemic to endemic and I agree. It is as inevitable as death and taxes. The only difference is the amount of economic, long term damage in the meantime.
James Christophers
...not forgetting the foreshadowed post-infection prognosis that is "long Covid", IOW the unwelcome prospect of long-term cardio-pulmonary conditions implying increased morbidity among those who survive.
JohnO
Not such a concern for the vaccinated.
James Christophers
2021-08-29 23:23:18 UTC
From the Stuff 1pm live page
[...]
**For the vaccinated**, OK. BTW I've just come across this "equity" item while looking up something else:

==================
Why is vaccine inequity a problem?

There are health, economic and moral implications for failing to vaccinate the world as evenly and fairly as possible.

“Vaccine inequity is the world’s biggest obstacle to ending this pandemic and recovering from COVID-19,” Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), said last month.

Failure to vaccinate could see new vaccine-resistant variants emerge, threatening the health of the entire global population. As many have put it, 'nobody is safe until everybody is safe.'

There have also been warnings that an inequitable vaccine rollout will hit the socioeconomic recovery in low- and lower-middle-income countries. Data shows that low-income countries could have added $38 billion to their GDP forecast for 2021 if they had similar vaccine rates as high-income countries.

Numerous world leaders have also emphasized the moral obligation to ensuring the vaccine rollout is equitable.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/08/this-is-how-much-work-is-left-to-vaccinate-the-world/
==================

It's also been pointed out elsewhere that, vaccine-producing countries will as a matter of course inevitably give themselves the best deal, reserving vaccines to themselves when rate of demand elsewhere exceeds rate of manufacture or ability to pay the price - charity begins at home. So does ransoming. Not helpful, then, that pleas for patent waivers from less well-off countries to enable local vaccine production get a rough time of it as well. Some wealthier countries are on their third jab while others have seen nary a hypodermic unsheathed. Nothing more interesting than self-interest in an existential crisis, aye. Warthogs fighting round a dried-up waterhole might show more grace.

Then there's this, with its potential worldwide political and socio-economic consequences:

"A world divided: global vaccine trade and production"

https://www.bruegel.org/2021/07/a-world-divided-global-vaccine-trade-and-production/

Self-interest? You ain't seen nuthin' yet!
JohnO
2021-08-30 05:34:32 UTC
From the Stuff 1pm live page
[...]
“Vaccine inequity is the world’s biggest obstacle to ending this pandemic and recovering from COVID-19,” Dr Tedros Adhanom , Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), said last month.
[...]
The most politically exploited pandemic in human history, as evidenced by Ghebreyesus.

In the end, brutally, poor countries who never had a decent medical infrastructure anyway, will thin out 1-3% of their population, most of them elderly or with morbid medical issues, then carry on as before but with an unwilling herd immunity. It isn't going to start worldwide revolution.
Rich80105
2021-08-30 08:13:34 UTC
From the Stuff 1pm live page
[...]
NObody is getting an effective herd immunity - vaccination only lowers
the likelihood of being infected, and in most reduces the severity.