The politics of COVID-19
2020-03-22 23:13:38 UTC
Interesting to see this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KA8dnyuoYryK8I7X3qweFqFlwD4JFGRV

Anyone spot the problem?

2020-03-22 23:25:06 UTC
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KA8dnyuoYryK8I7X3qweFqFlwD4JFGRV
Anyone spot the problem?
It is not a Labour initiative. it is a government in coalition initiative and
not before time.
Funny how bad news is National's fault or Winston would not allow it but good
news (and this really does not qualify as good news) is due to Labour.
greybeard
2020-03-23 00:02:08 UTC
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KA8dnyuoYryK8I7X3qweFqFlwD4JFGRV
Anyone spot the problem?
Heh. I decided to open the link 4 times.
I think that means the 2020 energy payment doubles with each opening.
Sweet. If I keep going it'll be bigger than winning lotto power ball.
Crash
2020-03-23 00:38:56 UTC
Post by greybeard
Post by Crash
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KA8dnyuoYryK8I7X3qweFqFlwD4JFGRV
Anyone spot the problem?
Heh. I decided to open the link 4 times.
I think that means the 2020 energy payment doubles with each opening.
Sweet. If I keep going it'll be bigger than winning lotto power ball.
Nah mate - ya shoulda clicked on the $5 Billion on wage subsidies 8-)

2020-03-23 01:46:42 UTC
Post by greybeard
Post by Crash
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KA8dnyuoYryK8I7X3qweFqFlwD4JFGRV
Anyone spot the problem?
Heh. I decided to open the link 4 times.
I think that means the 2020 energy payment doubles with each opening.
Sweet. If I keep going it'll be bigger than winning lotto power ball.
Nah mate - ya shoulda clicked on the $5 Billion on wage subsidies 8-)
Which indeed may well have doubled!

The announcements this afternoon demonstrate the complexity of the
dcisions that have been needed; the need to ensure that businesses and
individuals have time to make some decisions before lock-down, and the
focus that has been put on a wide range of areas by a large team of
public servants and others.

It is for some hard to realise that only a short time ago life had
barely changed, as the following article demonstrates:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/covid-19/410894/covid-19-simon-bridges-says-middle-income-earners-deserve-tax-relief

Seen from the perspective of nearly three weeks later - a lifetime in
politics, we had this morning:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2018739717/political-commentators-jones-and-morten

The change to Goldsmith being the main opposition spokesperson has
seen a huge change, with the opposition now wholeheartedly supporting
the actions of government.

The next step is to ensure that it is enforced effectively - the
reality is that we do have (as do all countries), a number of idiots
who will see restrictions as a challenge. Just as for the tourists
that did not understand the reasons for isolation, we will need some
public examples.

In teh meantime, I will continue to listen for news and current
affairs using Radio New Zealand - a reliable, responsible and
unbiassed source of news.
Tony
2020-03-23 03:09:36 UTC
Post by greybeard
Post by Crash
[...]
Most of what you wrote is fair but you could not avoid a political shot at the
opposition could you?
Get in line with the real people of this country and knuckle down to
intelligent behaviour.
unbiassed source of news.
John Bowes
2020-03-23 04:03:53 UTC
Post by greybeard
Post by Crash
[...]
Good to see the government is in line with what many professionals have wanted. Maybe not to late and the toll will level off.

It's a pity in Richie's case it's always politics before common sense. But what else can we expect from a white washer like him :)
George
2020-03-23 18:49:59 UTC
So who has enough money in the bank to pay their next 4 weeks
rent/mortgage without a pay cheque?
And what of buying groceries?
At 4 weeks of unemployment and paying for all the above I reckon that
its going to cost at least $4000.
And that may not be the end of the corona virus period...
So how is this going to be financed?
Do we get chits from the Government?
Or extensive loans from Banks?
Or do we all declare bankruptcy ?
2020-03-23 19:50:11 UTC
So who has enough money in the bank to pay their next 4 weeks
rent/mortgage without a pay cheque?
And what of buying groceries?
At 4 weeks of unemployment and paying for all the above I reckon that
its going to cost at least $4000.
And that may not be the end of the corona virus period...
So how is this going to be financed?
Do we get chits from the Government?
Or extensive loans from Banks?
Or do we all declare bankruptcy ?
Those receiving pensions (state or otherwise) are probably in a good position,
the government is apparently going to pay some part of the wages of some
workers - the detail is not clear yet.
Rich80105
2020-03-23 21:03:46 UTC
On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 14:50:11 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
So who has enough money in the bank to pay their next 4 weeks
rent/mortgage without a pay cheque?
And what of buying groceries?
At 4 weeks of unemployment and paying for all the above I reckon that
its going to cost at least $4000.
And that may not be the end of the corona virus period...
So how is this going to be financed?
Do we get chits from the Government?
Or extensive loans from Banks?
Or do we all declare bankruptcy ?
Those receiving pensions (state or otherwise) are probably in a good position,
the government is apparently going to pay some part of the wages of some
workers - the detail is not clear yet.
A friend in a business in the Wairarapa received a payment two days
after applying. Arrangements with banks are being worked on. So some
detail is known; but yes more is to come.
Worth checking at https://covid19.govt.nz/
Crash
2020-03-23 07:57:16 UTC
Post by greybeard
Post by Crash
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KA8dnyuoYryK8I7X3qweFqFlwD4JFGRV
Anyone spot the problem?
Heh. I decided to open the link 4 times.
I think that means the 2020 energy payment doubles with each opening.
Sweet. If I keep going it'll be bigger than winning lotto power ball.
Nah mate - ya shoulda clicked on the $5 Billion on wage subsidies 8-)
Which indeed may well have doubled!
Rich is seems you do not understand what 8-) means. Hint: I wear
glasses.
Post by Rich80105
The announcements this afternoon demonstrate the complexity of the
dcisions that have been needed; the need to ensure that businesses and
individuals have time to make some decisions before lock-down, and the
focus that has been put on a wide range of areas by a large team of
public servants and others.
You appear to have missed my point completely. Take a look at the
link in my original post again. Tell me why it is a party political
broadcast instead of the more appropriate Government announcement on
COVID-19 initiatives. There are other examples I have seen since that
show a Labour MP bragging about the level of COVID-19 relief spending
is coming into his electorate.
[snip off-topic post]

2020-03-23 08:38:48 UTC
Post by greybeard
Post by Crash
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KA8dnyuoYryK8I7X3qweFqFlwD4JFGRV
Anyone spot the problem?
Heh. I decided to open the link 4 times.
I think that means the 2020 energy payment doubles with each opening.
Sweet. If I keep going it'll be bigger than winning lotto power ball.
Nah mate - ya shoulda clicked on the $5 Billion on wage subsidies 8-)
Which indeed may well have doubled!
Rich is seems you do not understand what 8-) means. Hint: I wear
glasses.
I saw your comment as a wry comment on a poster that appeared to
believe clicking on a picture 4 times would re-double something every
time it was clicked - but the wage subsidies had indeed been increased
hugely between the timethe comment was made and my post - due tot he
latest Covic19 developments. Sometimes a joke explained loses some of
its humour . . .
The announcements this afternoon demonstrate the complexity of the
dcisions that have been needed; the need to ensure that businesses and
individuals have time to make some decisions before lock-down, and the
focus that has been put on a wide range of areas by a large team of
public servants and others.
You appear to have missed my point completely. Take a look at the
link in my original post again. Tell me why it is a party political
broadcast instead of the more appropriate Government announcement on
COVID-19 initiatives.
If that was your point then yes I did miss it completely. Not one of
the decisions pointed out by the Labour advertisement had not already
been properly announced by the government, but in a coalition
government, it is not surprising that each of the three parties
celebrates some decisions under their party name. Certainly National
advertised a lot of decisions of the government of which they formed a
major part using the National party logo and colours; I saw nothing
wrong with that either.
Post by Crash
There are other examples I have seen since that
show a Labour MP bragging about the level of COVID-19 relief spending
is coming into his electorate.
I haven't seen that - I would have expected it to be met with some
derision; a quite different issue from featuring government decisions
in a factual and positive way.
Post by Crash
[snip off-topic post]
My reference to the annoucements earlier today were very much on the
topic of "The politics of COVID-19." - which just happens to be the
Subject of this Thread . . .
Gordon
Number 45390876411904 more or less. To date.
Gordon
2020-03-25 04:09:21 UTC
Post by Rich80105
The announcements this afternoon demonstrate the complexity of the
dcisions that have been needed; the need to ensure that businesses and
individuals have time to make some decisions before lock-down, and the
focus that has been put on a wide range of areas by a large team of
public servants and others.
You appear to have missed my point completely. Take a look at the
link in my original post again. Tell me why it is a party political
broadcast instead of the more appropriate Government announcement on
COVID-19 initiatives. There are other examples I have seen since that
show a Labour MP bragging about the level of COVID-19 relief spending
is coming into his electorate.
That is just plan wrong on so many levels.

The main point, which is nothing to do with polotics, apart from people, is
the battle against Covid-19. Saving lives. Yes, MP your voters life, for
Covid19 is apolitcal.

Yes, MPs are not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Rich80105
2020-03-25 08:18:31 UTC
Post by Rich80105
[...]
Certainly government MPs are following that line; and thanksully at
last Opposition MPs have learned that criticising that focus is not
welcomed.
Post by Gordon
Yes, MPs are not the sharpest tool in the shed.
I have not seen any other reports of an MP talking about the level of
spending coming to his electorate.