Shutting down the misinformation Industry
2021-01-12 00:22:47 UTC
I ws not aware of the internet "networks" such as Parler, Gab, MeWe,
Rumble - here in New Zealand most know about Facebook and Twitter. NZ
is probably too small for extremist blogs or other internet entities
to feed radical extremists, but it is clear that in the USA deliberate
misinformation has been taken too far, with the deranged beieving
stupidities and believing that they need to take action that should
not be acceptable anywhere.

Now we have a development:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/jgqbex/parler-is-gone-but-hackers-say-they-downloaded-everything-first

Doubtless police and others have been able to track some people
through these sites, but not sufficiently to have stopped the
Washington protest that resulted in deaths. Making the posts public
with the possibiity of identification of some of those exploiting the
gullibility of many extremists may discourage such malicious material,
but I suspect it is too little and too late - that is the nature of
''market interventions".

I hope that these developments keep our government thinking abut the
nature of controls that allow genine freedom of speech without the
clear danger of the freedom to lie and foment violence as the answer
to induced extremist views. A balance will be difficult, and some
control of platforms such as Facebook, You Tube etc may be necessary
John Bowes
We know you don't support freedom of speech Rich. Not funny when you put up a header like te on this post. many will be thinking you're about to retire from nz.gen. In New Zealand the sort of controls you and your glorious leader want aren't necessary.
George Black
2021-01-12 19:25:22 UTC
We know you don't support freedom of speech Rich. Not funny when you put up a header like te on this post. many will be thinking you're about to retire from nz.gen. In New Zealand the sort of controls you and your glorious leader want aren't necessary.
remember the term
FAKE NEWS.
View any and all socalled news items with suspicion that
(a) they do not actually cover the occurrence.
(b) that there is a bias that 'leans, the article toward a certain belief.
(c) Always treat anything from politicians of all persuasions as lies.

Freedom of speech allows any and all to make fools of themselves. If you
cant refute the point admit it
John Bowes
2021-01-12 21:21:05 UTC
We know you don't support freedom of speech Rich. Not funny when you put up a header like te on this post. many will be thinking you're about to retire from nz.gen. In New Zealand the sort of controls you and your glorious leader want aren't necessary.
remember the term
FAKE NEWS.
View any and all socalled news items with suspicion that
(a) they do not actually cover the occurrence.
(b) that there is a bias that 'leans, the article toward a certain belief.
(c) Always treat anything from politicians of all persuasions as lies.
Freedom of speech allows any and all to make fools of themselves. If you
cant refute the point admit it
You forgot (d) they're posted daily by Rich80105.....
Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily mean you can't be done for libel or inciting violence. It should mean no religious or political beliefs can't be mocked ;)
Gordon
2021-01-12 03:40:23 UTC
[...]
Good luck with that.

At the end of the day it is public opinion which rules. Sure legdelistation
may encourage a point of view. But at the end of the day if the people of
East and West Germany reckon the wall should go, there is nothing one can
do apart from try and save a short section of it for history's sake.
Rich80105
2021-01-12 05:01:03 UTC
[...]
I agree, which is why I think there will be a while before any changes
are proposed - the US experience shows that many of the most offensive
"mistruths'' are peddled through the internet, which is difficult for
one country to control. Even with the highly offensive use of
propaganda in the USA, the likes of Facebook, Twitter etc have been
slow to move. The issue of the live streaming of the Christchurch
shooting remains as difficult to address as when it happens, but
international opinion has moved slightly through the discussions that
resulted from that event. When proposals are made, I suspect they may
well need lengthy public discussion before politicians will be
prepared to put anything to the vote.

From another perspective, election results tend to punish parties that
indulge in misleading or lying nehaviour - just as Dirty Tricks
contributed to the decline of support for National in NZ, the
Republican party is showing that actively supporting the misleading
and offensive actions of Trump and his supporters has been punished by
voters. Events such as the Christchurch shootings are not as directly
relevant to elections however; although Ardern's response served
Labour well I suspect previous National Leaders such as Holyoake or
Bolger may have shown some of the empathy and willingness to support
the affected families. The issues being raised will not be easily
resolved, but it does seem the world is getting less tolerant of
extremist killers and extremist lying politicians. The far right need
to clean up their act - and NZ Act perhaps shows the way by balancing
its far right economic agenda with libertarian policies.