COVID19: Interesting science on preventing transmission (Delta relative)
Crash
2021-08-30 22:48:57 UTC
About a year ago I subscribed to the SCIBLOG website as it had a
number of interesting articles on COVID, including those published by
Dr Siouxsie Wiles. Today this popped up (from a different author):

https://sciblogs.co.nz/public-health-expert/2021/08/30/throwing-open-the-windows-the-need-for-ventilation-improvements-as-part-of-covid-19-outbreak-control-in-aotearoa/

windows although there is no indication of what happens to aerosols
expelled from an infected person.Logically they will fall on surfaces
and die but this is not spelt out. The key is clearly that the air
should be changed frequently, either by natural or forced ventilation.

Crash McBash
Tony
2021-08-30 23:10:42 UTC
Post by Crash
About a year ago I subscribed to the SCIBLOG website as it had a
number of interesting articles on COVID, including those published by
https://sciblogs.co.nz/public-health-expert/2021/08/30/throwing-open-the-windows-the-need-for-ventilation-improvements-as-part-of-covid-19-outbreak-control-in-aotearoa/
windows although there is no indication of what happens to aerosols
expelled from an infected person.Logically they will fall on surfaces
and die but this is not spelt out. The key is clearly that the air
should be changed frequently, either by natural or forced ventilation.
--
Crash McBash
Thanks for that Crash. Really interesting.
I hope my charity will be back in action next week and I think we should follow
that advice, suitably dressed in case it is chilly.
Gordon
2021-08-31 00:07:21 UTC
Post by Crash
About a year ago I subscribed to the SCIBLOG website as it had a
number of interesting articles on COVID, including those published by
https://sciblogs.co.nz/public-health-expert/2021/08/30/throwing-open-the-windows-the-need-for-ventilation-improvements-as-part-of-covid-19-outbreak-control-in-aotearoa/
windows although there is no indication of what happens to aerosols
expelled from an infected person.Logically they will fall on surfaces
and die but this is not spelt out. The key is clearly that the air
should be changed frequently, either by natural or forced ventilation.
Came across a TV programme from NHK (Japans public broadcaster) in which
they discussed the spread of Covid through the air by aerosols. Looked at a
couple of cases, hospital and cafe, where a cluster of cases formed.

In the cafe the spread of the aerosols were estimated to be 10m.

In the hospital the outlet vent was only working at half capacity so the
aerosols built up in the room with the patient and then spread out into the
hospital under the positive pressure which was in the room with the patient.

They also worked out that the Delta variant entered Japan via 9 separate
routes.

Think of air as as a fluid with the aerosols floating in it and a source in
the room. The room will eventually be full of aerosols. Very much like in
the old days when most people smoked.
Rich80105
2021-08-31 01:01:35 UTC
Post by Gordon
Post by Crash
[...]
Thanks for that, Gordon. I had not previously thought through why some
isolation wards have "negative pressure." The examples given are
interesting.

Willy Nilly
2021-08-31 00:27:13 UTC