The Referendum - Geddis
2020-12-09 09:02:15 UTC
https://www.pundit.co.nz/content/not-every-wrong-has-a-remedy-in-court-anyway

Common sense really - I was disappointed in the result of the cannabis
referebdum, but appealing against it is just silly - and probably
expensively silly even split up among 350 people who possibly did not
bother getting legal advice.
Gordon
2020-12-10 06:42:53 UTC
https://www.pundit.co.nz/content/not-every-wrong-has-a-remedy-in-court-anyway
Common sense really - I was disappointed in the result of the cannabis
referebdum, but appealing against it is just silly - and probably
expensively silly even split up among 350 people who possibly did not
bother getting legal advice.
This is rather disturbing from the point that unless the referendum process
has had issues then the will of the people should rule.

During an election the process needs to be robust enough to get a correct
result without getting the courts involved. The goings on in the US of A are
a good reason why.
Rich80105
2020-12-10 07:12:04 UTC
https://www.pundit.co.nz/content/not-every-wrong-has-a-remedy-in-court-anyway
Common sense really - I was disappointed in the result of the cannabis
referebdum, but appealing against it is just silly - and probably
expensively silly even split up among 350 people who possibly did not
bother getting legal advice.
This is rather disturbing from the point that unless the referendum process
has had issues then the will of the people should rule.
During an election the process needs to be robust enough to get a correct
result without getting the courts involved. The goings on in the US of A are
a good reason why.
Thankfully it appears that there is virtually no chance that the
courts will agree to set the resut aside - that is the main point from
the Geddes article. That does not mean that nothing can be done by
government in relation to marijuana. I believe the situation with
medical use needs work - there should be a clear process for approval
of use in specific circumstances that does not require political
intervention.
Firu
2020-12-11 00:30:31 UTC
That does not mean that nothing can be done by
government in relation to marijuana. I believe the situation with
medical use needs work - there should be a clear process for approval
of use in specific circumstances that does not require political
intervention.
I think legalisation would have been a better result but it wasn't to
be. I also agree with your comments on medical use.

I was in the UK this year and cannabis laws came up in the pub. Like
they do :) The situation in the UK is a mess.

Smoking cannabis is forbidden. Using CBD oils is OK. These have the THC
extracted so no happy highs. But there's no regulation so you've no idea
whet you're really getting.

Then there's medical cannabis. You can get this on prescription if you
can find a Doc to jump through the hoops and is brave enough to put his
name to it. People who use this overseas regularly have it confiscated
at the border when they come home.

And that's the problem. Because cannabis is illegal drug companies and
researchers won't go near it. Because there's no research evidence to
support the benefits of medical cannabis usage the government won't look
at decriminalising the stuff.

The reality around medical cannabis use is the drug companies won't push
the issue cos they don't see enough profit in it. All it takes is
legalisation and any potential profit is gone.