The Auckland council has a bridge for sale
BR
2021-06-07 01:48:58 UTC
At any given time on any given road with a bicycle track on it, you
could count the number of cars and bicycles going by and compare the
two. Cars would outnumber bicycles by more than a hundred to one. So
now the Auckland council has approved $685,000,000 (almost certain to
blow out past $1 billion if past experience of the Auckland council's
fiscal management is anything to go by) to build a harbour crossing
that can only be used for walking and cycling. All this to appease a
tiny fraction of Auckland's traveling public.

Driving at peak hours is a pain in the arse anywhere in Auckland, and
the Auckland council seem determined to spend millions of dollars of
ratepayers' money to make sure it either stays that way or gets worse.
Anyone who fails to notice that bottlenecks are being created and free
left turns are being removed all over the place would have to be in a
coma. This is vandalism plain and simple, and if there were any real
justice those responsible for implementing it would be doing jail
time.

I remember going through the Mt Albert shops one Saturday morning. The
narrowing of that section of Great North Road and the removal of the
free left turn into Mt Albert Rd had just been completed and they were
having a little celebration. I stopped for a look around and I asked a
local councillor what purpose was being served by all these expensive
roadworks, and he told me that part of the reason was to encourage
people not to rely on their cars so much, and that they should use
public transport and ride bicycles more often.

Well excuse me, but it became immediately obvious that the last human
powered conveyance this grossly overweight hippopotamus of a man was
ever acquainted with came with three wheels and a sandpit. If that
lumbering porker was ever put on a bicycle and somehow persuaded to
pedal from where he was to the top of St Jude St, it would be
difficult to predict whether he or the bike would be the first to
expire.

And yet it's his sort who are beating the drum for more cycling and
less driving. The day fat pigs like him get out of THEIR cars and onto
a bicycle is the day that I might start to believe that the Auckland
council are populated by something other than self-serving hypocrites.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Tony
2021-06-07 02:08:41 UTC
Post by BR
[...]
I consider myself privileged to have to face Auckland traffic less than once a
year. Where I live, the trip by car to the nearest city is busy but normally
reasonable.
The new cycleway and walkway over the Auckland harbour is a monstrous waste of
money and merely confirms that, like many councils, Auckland is managed by
people with a dishonest and obsessive agenda.
I know you are anticipating a response from at least one person who shares that
agenda, they are as predictable as they are beyond reason. Well done Bill.
Rich80105
2021-06-07 03:02:22 UTC
Post by BR
[...]
Good traffic management may be counter-intuitive:
https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/11-03-2021/we-need-to-make-driving-in-auckland-even-worse/
Tony
That is just nonsense.
John Bowes
What did you expect from Rich? Reasoned discussion???
Rich80105
2021-06-07 05:20:11 UTC
On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 22:19:02 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
Post by BR
[...]
Yet you Tony are unable to express any alternatives that will reduce
the appalling daily experience that many in Auckland suffer every work
day . . .

Certainly we will not get everyone riding bikes up to 30km to and from
home, but some existing bike paths do have higher traffic than was
originally expected. Public transport is however the answer - we
cannot have an equivalent of the London Underground, but we should be
able to vastly improve the existing raill network as well as creating
dedicated busways that can provided quicker transport than cars for
many standard routes. The article may not have all the answers, but
more motorway is clearly nothe answer.
Tony
2021-06-07 05:31:11 UTC
Post by BR
[...]
And neither did you. And neither did the trash blog that you posted.
When you have a solution feel free to post it.
Certainly not clear to you but why is it "clearly" not the answer?
John Bowes
The idiot can't comprehend that people like to be independent and public transport doesn't allow that! The problem is people say they'll use public transport if it's improved but aren't prepared to use it till it improves. I'd say it's like a kitten chasing it's tail but it's more like a promise from Rich's glorious misleader because the kitten has a chance of catching it's tail!
George Black
2021-06-07 20:08:27 UTC
The idiot can't comprehend that people like to be independent and public transport doesn't allow that! The problem is people say they'll use public transport if it's improved but aren't prepared to use it till it improves. I'd say it's like a kitten chasing it's tail but it's more like a promise from Rich's glorious misleader because the kitten has a chance of catching it's tail!
So, Aucklanders will have fleets of buses lined up nose to tail on every
street that goes somewhere with all the backup that that will require.
If electric just imagine the drain on the current (pun intended) generation.
BR
2021-06-08 05:16:12 UTC
The idiot can't comprehend that people like to be independent and public transport doesn't allow that! The problem is people say they'll use public transport if it's improved but aren't prepared to use it till it improves. I'd say it's like a kitten chasing it's tail but it's more like a promise from Rich's glorious misleader because the kitten has a chance of catching it's tail!
So, Aucklanders will have fleets of buses lined up nose to tail on every
street that goes somewhere with all the backup that that will require.
If electric just imagine the drain on the current (pun intended) generation.
They have already flooded the streets with buses, mostly empty.

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
George Black
2021-06-08 20:04:02 UTC
Post by BR
The idiot can't comprehend that people like to be independent and public transport doesn't allow that! The problem is people say they'll use public transport if it's improved but aren't prepared to use it till it improves. I'd say it's like a kitten chasing it's tail but it's more like a promise from Rich's glorious misleader because the kitten has a chance of catching it's tail!
So, Aucklanders will have fleets of buses lined up nose to tail on every
street that goes somewhere with all the backup that that will require.
If electric just imagine the drain on the current (pun intended) generation.
They have already flooded the streets with buses, mostly empty.
Bill.
And losing rate payers money

BR
2021-06-07 08:19:18 UTC
https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/11-03-2021/we-need-to-make-driving-in-auckland-even-worse/
So do you believe that Auckland council candidates should include a
promise to worsen traffic congestion in their manifestos for the next
local body elections?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Gordon
No need, as it will happen without any of their help.
BR
2021-06-08 05:18:50 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Rich80105
https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/11-03-2021/we-need-to-make-driving-in-auckland-even-worse/
So do you believe that Auckland council candidates should include a
promise to worsen traffic congestion in their manifestos for the next
local body elections?
No need, as it will happen without any of their help.
So everyone should just roll over and have their tummies tickled by
these goose stepping little tyrants?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com