What a bludger!
2020-04-25 23:55:13 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121254612/coronavirus-business-owner-pockets-150000-from-government-wage-subsidy-and-hes-not-paying-it-back
Crash
2020-04-26 01:55:51 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121254612/coronavirus-business-owner-pockets-150000-from-government-wage-subsidy-and-hes-not-paying-it-back
The article has no evidence of fraud. The wage subsidy was available
to any business that could demonstrate an actual or likely 30% decline
in a calendar month for 2020 vs 2019.

I made a similar claim that was based on the likely result of April
2020 vs the actual result of April 2019. My company has one employee
(not me or my wife) to whom wages have been paid for over 10 years.

I expect that at some point in the future the government will use its
considerable resources to flag my company if the actual April revenue
is not 30% less than April 2019. As far as I am aware there is no
other criteria for receiving the payment.

You don't even have to demonstrate an actual loss of income to receive the wage subsidy. Anticipating a loss is sufficient.
Crash
2020-04-26 06:00:00 UTC
[...]
Correct, and I forgot to mention that my claim was paid within hours
(claimed in the am, received in the pm the same day). Other than
cross checking PAYE filings (which proves the employer/employee
relationship) there was not much time to check.

2020-04-26 04:21:12 UTC
He's not a bludger and you are an idiot.

He's continuing to employ staff while not getting income. He's created jobs and employed staff and payed taxes for decades.

He's legally accepting a gift offered to him by the half-wit government. To not take it would be stupidity.

This guy is a contributor to society. Unlike you.
Tony
2020-04-26 04:28:49 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121254612/coronavirus-business-owner-pockets-150000-from-government-wage-subsidy-and-hes-not-paying-it-back
Perhaps you should look at the rules set by the government.
There is nothing here that suggests he has broken them.
If after the end of the offer he has not met those rules then, and only then,
will he be expected to repay anything.
Rich80105
2020-04-26 07:46:21 UTC
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 23:28:49 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121254612/coronavirus-business-owner-pockets-150000-from-government-wage-subsidy-and-hes-not-paying-it-back
Perhaps you should look at the rules set by the government.
There is nothing here that suggests he has broken them.
If after the end of the offer he has not met those rules then, and only then,
will he be expected to repay anything.
I have not said that he has broken any law - but he is saying that he
intends to if he feels he needs to. And there I thought you believed
everyone should respect the law. Tony . . .
Tony
Do get some help or explain that irrational bit of nonsense.
Crash
2020-04-26 08:10:24 UTC
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 23:28:49 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121254612/coronavirus-business-owner-pockets-150000-from-government-wage-subsidy-and-hes-not-paying-it-back
Perhaps you should look at the rules set by the government.
There is nothing here that suggests he has broken them.
If after the end of the offer he has not met those rules then, and only then,
will he be expected to repay anything.
I have not said that he has broken any law - but he is saying that he
intends to if he feels he needs to. And there I thought you believed
everyone should respect the law. Tony . .
There is no connection between this case and the 'rule of law'. The
article you cited has no content that the builder in question has
acted illegally. The journalist who wrote the article has simply
reporting exactly what the builder has said.

As I said in my earlier post the wage subsidy is a crude
business-support tool with the only criteria being an actual or
anticipated drop in monthly revenues. There is simply no reference to
this at all in the article - merely that the builder intends to profit
from the subsidy. It should be noted that the subsidy is intended as
a business support payment based on employees. As long as the builder
actually employed those he has claimed for, and had the requisite drop
in revenue, all else is irrelevant.

2020-04-26 04:54:15 UTC
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121254612/coronavirus-business-owner-pockets-150000-from-government-wage-subsidy-and-hes-not-paying-it-back
Bludger? Perish the very thought!

Mr Black is in construction and, by default, can be expected to be a decent enough bloke. No reason, then to regard his probity and integrity as anything other than impeccable.

So, if he's received a windfall that exceeds his every need, want and desire and Monte Carlo yacht, then doubtless he will distribute it among the poor and deserving of auckland whose chances in life have never been the equal of his, and never will be, through no fault of theirs.

Again, all credit to him if he does this anonymously, since by so doing he will surely know that the trust society places in him will run no risk of being betrayed.

IOW, cut a decent bloke some slack, will you!