Praise for NZ response to Covid
2020-09-02 21:59:58 UTC
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12361594

I was talking to a health professional yesterday about the changes in
the health system relating to Covid. GP practices have obviously
changed, but for the better; electronic systems have improved meaning
that a lot more can be done by phone (prescription repeats for example
no longer require a paper form), but the massive amount of work that
has grownin testing and producing more and more complex results. The
system works smoothly employing a large number of people without much
notice by New Zealanders. The foresight to encourage more people to
have the vaccine in March has been a big success, and has enabled New
Zealand to actually save more lives this year than have been lost
through Covid - while other countries can see excess deaths over
expected mortality, New Zealand has fewer deaths than would have ben
expected.

There remain big issues in our health system - resolving years of
neglect cannot be done in a short time fame, and Covid has deplayed
some urgent work and taken priority for some existing staff, but
overall we can be proud of the response of our government, and of the
dedication of our health system, and in this case particularly those
working in public health.
greybeard
2020-09-02 23:56:08 UTC
[...]
Nurses on strike. What is govt doing about that?
Denial Denial Obfuscation Denial.
Labour don't give a shit about wage equality, living
standards or the crappy health system. Toss them out.
Gordon
2020-09-03 07:14:58 UTC
Post by greybeard
Post by Rich80105
[...]
There is also a report from UNICEF blasting their performance with children.
Oh well ....
Crash
2020-09-03 00:22:38 UTC
[...]
The article draws a comparison between the USA and NZ in COVID19
response success. Stiglitz though is purely reporting results and not
the underlying reasons why the USA has done so poorly compared to NZ.

The USA is hampered by scale (it is vastly bigger than NZ) and
fragmentation of Government (Federal and State levels in particular,
often adversarial levels of authority) and a healthcare industry
dominated by privately-owned and independent providers.

NZ has a vastly superior healthcare system, controlled as it is by a
combination of a central Health department and DHBs providing a
nation-wide coordinated delivery of healthcare.

The reason we are getting better results is that our system of
Government and healthcare delivery is vastly superior to theirs. Our
setup, as well as the clinical decisions taken, have got us well ahead
of the USA. This is regardless of which political party is in
government.

2020-09-03 07:21:45 UTC
[...]
New Zealand is also small, and islands.

The Country which has done well and is seldom metioned is Vietnam. Not the
wealthiest country and a population of 97 million. It has had to date 34
deaths and 1046 cases.
George
2020-09-03 20:11:49 UTC
On 3 Sep 2020 07:21:45 GMT
Post by Gordon
New Zealand is also small, and islands.
The Country which has done well and is seldom metioned is Vietnam.
Not the wealthiest country and a population of 97 million. It has had
to date 34 deaths and 1046 cases.
The trouble with countries like Vietnam is that they have a thing about
facts.
If its not to their liking the unwanted fact disappears.
Our lot at least massage the fact until it behaves
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12362452
Gordon
2020-09-05 04:34:37 UTC
[...]
And Sweeden did not get a mention. So where is it in the list? Above of
below America and Brazil?
James Christophers
40th out of the 100 countries listed.
James Christophers
Oooops, typo. Should read 49/100. US and Brazil are included in the list.
Gordon
2020-09-03 07:08:49 UTC
[...]
I'll see if I have a translator for this.
Post by Rich80105
There remain big issues in our health system - resolving years of
neglect cannot be done in a short time fame, and Covid has deplayed
some urgent work and taken priority for some existing staff, but
overall we can be proud of the response of our government, and of the
dedication of our health system, and in this case particularly those
working in public health.
And the front line nurses went on strike to-day.