New Zealand doing well.
2020-12-19 03:29:26 UTC
The Pre-electon forecasts from government departments would have been
written before votes were counted; they were intended for whichever
parties formed a government.
Already it seems that our performance has turned out better than
forecast, which must be largely due to pre-election decisions by the
then government, but the confidence from the lection results will have
given many the confidence to keep spending - with the result that
profits are up.

Our results (and those of Australia) are being recognised overseas:
https://www.ft.com/content/b8c4ab58-99db-4af2-9449-5fd70a9235ce
Gordon
2020-12-19 04:00:56 UTC
The Pre-electon forecasts from government departments would have been
written before votes were counted; they were intended for whichever
parties formed a government.
Already it seems that our performance has turned out better than
forecast,
...than the forecast of some. It was clear to me that if Covid could stay at
the border the rest of the country could get on with things as per normal.
Sure the tourist industry is still missing a few customers.

The great Plauge (1347 - 1352) killed about half the poulation in the cities
and yet after it was over life carried on as if nothing had happened. Sure
some people were richer.
Post by Rich80105
which must be largely due to pre-election decisions by the
then government,
A personal viewpoint.
Post by Rich80105
but the confidence from the lection results will have
given many the confidence to keep spending - with the result that
profits are up.
Nope it was that with some luck the Health folks kept Covid at the boarder
and where able to hunt down the breeches before the word exponetial had to
be used.
Paywall in action at that link.
Rich80105
2020-12-19 05:49:23 UTC
Post by Rich80105
which must be largely due to pre-election decisions by the
then government,
A personal viewpoint.
Since there have been few significant decisions since the election, it
is a reasonable assumption.
but the confidence from the election results will have
given many the confidence to keep spending - with the result that
profits are up.
Nope it was that with some luck the Health folks kept Covid at the boarder
and where able to hunt down the breeches before the word exponetial had to
be used.
It was not only the Health Dept - political decisions were well
founded and the initial one brave; mistakes were used to modify
detail, and the use of the Army has been of significant effect.
https://www.ft.com/content/b8c4ab58-99db-4af2-9449-5fd70a9235ce
Paywall in action at that link.
An extract then:
"New Zealand’s economy has accelerated out of a coronavirus-induced
recession to grow a record 14 per cent in the third quarter,
reflecting authorities’ adept handling of the pandemic.

Figures published on Thursday showed a resurgence in household
spending drove the country’s recovery. The easing of some of the
world’s toughest social-distancing restrictions prompted 11.1 per cent
growth in service industries and 26 per cent growth in the goods
producing sector.

New Zealand’s statistics agency also revised the decline in gross
domestic product in the June quarter to 11 per cent, from previous
estimates of a 12.2 per cent contraction. However, the damage wrought
by a nationwide lockdown remained evident in the annual growth figure,
which shows economic activity fell 2.2 per cent in the year to the end
of September.

Grant Robertson, New Zealand’s finance minister, attributed the record
growth to the government’s decision to “go hard and early” during the
Covid-19 pandemic and offer support through a comprehensive wage
subsidy scheme covering 1.8m workers.

“While New Zealand’s economy contracted in 2020, it is expected to
rebound strongly in 2021, in line with countries we compare ourselves
to, like Australia and the United States, and outperforming the United
Kingdom and Japan relative to these countries’ 2019 starting point,”
he said.

Nellie the Elephant
2020-12-19 04:30:40 UTC
The Pre-electon forecasts from government departments would have been
written before votes were counted; they were intended for whichever
parties formed a government.
Already it seems that our performance has turned out better than
forecast, which must be largely due to pre-election decisions by the
then government, but the confidence from the lection results will have
given many the confidence to keep spending - with the result that
profits are up.
Pity that the "then government" stuffed up the border. Now costing us
1% of our economy.
Doing well? Wait and see.