% of country vaccinated
2021-09-23 03:59:39 UTC
Anyone getting confused by term % of country vaccinated?

We vaccinate people, not countries.

Hendy in his modelling has assumed the possible folks who can receive a
vacination is 5 years old to death. Where the heck did this 5+ come from?

The 90% vaccinate rate is 90% of what?

A) All the people in this country approx 5 million,
B) Everyone 12 years old or older
C) Everyone 5 years or older

"Covid-19 NZ: Modelling suggests 7000 deaths in a year even with 75 per
cent of country jabbed" A headline from Stuff.

People are going to say that target is 90% vaccination, which is well and
good as long as we all understand what it means. This means being clear
until the level of understanding is reached.
John Bowes
2021-09-23 04:42:31 UTC
Anyone getting confused by term % of country vaccinated?
We vaccinate people, not countries.
Hendy in his modelling has assumed the possible folks who can receive a
vacination is 5 years old to death. Where the heck did this 5+ come from?
The 90% vaccinate rate is 90% of what?
Some arbitrary group only the government knows who they are. Remember Rich is always telling us how open our Stalinist government is...
It's meaningless Gordon. Much like the graphs proving where they are in the vaccination regime.
Rich80105
2021-09-23 05:03:46 UTC
Anyone getting confused by term % of country vaccinated?
We vaccinate people, not countries.
Hendy in his modelling has assumed the possible folks who can receive a
vacination is 5 years old to death. Where the heck did this 5+ come from?
The 90% vaccinate rate is 90% of what?
A) All the people in this country approx 5 million,
B) Everyone 12 years old or older
C) Everyone 5 years or older
"Covid-19 NZ: Modelling suggests 7000 deaths in a year even with 75 per
cent of country jabbed" A headline from Stuff.
People are going to say that target is 90% vaccination, which is well and
good as long as we all understand what it means. This means being clear
until the level of understanding is reached.
The target is 100% vaccinates of those that can be vaccinated - we
anticipate that some changes can be made when we reach 90% - we cannot
guarantee anything, but provided we do not get a new variant that
changes everything, current modelling indicates that general lock
downs may not be needed once we reach 90%. At one time the vaccine was
not authorised for children under 12 - perhaps there is now a vaccine
approved down to age 5. Being clear depends on when each of us last
listened - many only listen to covid announcements every so often . .
.
JohnO
2021-09-23 05:06:30 UTC
Anyone getting confused by term % of country vaccinated?
We vaccinate people, not countries.
Hendy in his modelling has assumed the possible folks who can receive a
vacination is 5 years old to death. Where the heck did this 5+ come from?
The 90% vaccinate rate is 90% of what?
A) All the people in this country approx 5 million,
B) Everyone 12 years old or older
C) Everyone 5 years or older
"Covid-19 NZ: Modelling suggests 7000 deaths in a year even with 75 per
cent of country jabbed" A headline from Stuff.
People are going to say that target is 90% vaccination, which is well and
good as long as we all understand what it means. This means being clear
until the level of understanding is reached.
Why are we giving so much credence to the likes of Hendy and that idiot Fergusson in the UK? They are repeatedly, massively wrong, and use extreme assumptions to model extreme results. These get lapped up by control freak politicians to justify suffocating restrictions to people's freedoms.

Modelers are way down the evolutionary order from those other fakers, economists.
Rich80105
2021-09-23 05:35:25 UTC
[...]
They have modelled what would happen if we did nothing. We took heed
and did something. Actual results were better than the modelling
because we did sometning. If we stop what we are doing our resuts are
likely to be a lot worse.
JohnO
2021-09-23 07:27:47 UTC
[...]
Modelling being discredited by another modeler, priceless.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300414401/covid19-nz-rodney-jones-says-shaun-hendys-7000death-vaccine-model-doesnt-pass-plausibility-test

The government is using fear to control the masses. Straight out of Fascism 101.
Firu
2021-09-23 11:12:51 UTC
Modelling being discredited by another modeler, priceless.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300414401/covid19-nz-rodney-jones-says-shaun-hendys-7000death-vaccine-model-doesnt-pass-plausibility-test
Wasn't he saying the model doesn't follow the data in a different
country? (He was!)

'Covid-19 modeller Rodney Jones, who has also provided modelling and
advice to the Government, said real-world experience in countries with
reasonably high vaccination rates showed there was unlikely to be that
many deaths and the Government “didn’t need to scare New Zealanders into
getting vaccinated”.'

He might be a modeller but in this case......Nah! SO challenged, not
discredited.
Post by JohnO
The government is using fear to control the masses. Straight out of Fascism 101.
I doubt if anybody can 'control' the average NZ bloke! Trying to
influence people with stats and models isn't fascism. Shooting the bloke
who disagrees with your approach, now that's more like fascism.
BR
2021-09-23 16:54:11 UTC
Post by Firu
I doubt if anybody can 'control' the average NZ bloke!
This is a joke, right?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Firu
2021-09-24 20:28:26 UTC
Depends on the blokes you know.
BR
2021-09-26 02:10:38 UTC
Post by Firu
Post by BR
Post by Firu
I doubt if anybody can 'control' the average NZ bloke!
This is a joke, right?
Bill.
Depends on the blokes you know.
Do you watch TV or read the papers?

Bill.
https://www.avg.com
Firu
2021-09-27 21:15:15 UTC
Post by BR
Post by Firu
Post by BR
Post by Firu
I doubt if anybody can 'control' the average NZ bloke!
This is a joke, right?
Bill.
Depends on the blokes you know.
Do you watch TV or read the papers?
Bill.
Strange question, but.....

Not a whole lot.....
Firu
2021-10-01 12:23:25 UTC
Post by Firu
Post by BR
Post by Firu
Post by BR
Post by Firu
I doubt if anybody can 'control' the average NZ bloke!
This is a joke, right?
Bill.
Depends on the blokes you know.
Do you watch TV or read the papers?
Bill.
Strange question, but.....
Not a whole lot.....
The "average NZ bloke" is easily controlled by the news media.
Bill.
LOL! People are more influenced by the media when the media message
tends to reinforce their existing views.

So when the media says 'take care, practice isolation/social distancing,
get vaccinated' this chimes with them more than the message that tells
them to 'ignore all precautions, don't worry about the vaccine, take it
on the chin, trust to chance that it won't be you'.

Rich80105
2021-09-23 11:14:21 UTC
[...]
The media are grabbing anyone willing to comment. They never see the
clear discrepancies, they never follow through to ask why. They love
anyone that complains - but never seem to find those that are doing
very well, and use words loosely in what needs to be clearly
expressed.
Mutlley
2021-09-25 03:58:09 UTC
[...]
Maybe look at the Swedish model. It seems to have worked compared to
the other countries surronding it.
Rich80105
2021-09-25 05:32:47 UTC
Post by Mutlley
[...]
Cases is per 1m pop; Deaths per 1m pop as shown today from
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ (NZ from NZ source)
Vax is doses per 100 population as at 19 Sept 2021 from
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1196071/covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country/

Sweden Cases 112,945 Deaths 1,452 Vax 132
Denmark Cases 61,253 Deaths 454 Vax 150
Norway Cases 33,989 Deaths 155 Vax 139
Iceland Cases 33,817 Deaths 96 Vax 160
Finland Cases 24,963 Deaths 191 Vax 133
Germany Cases 49,868 Deaths 1,117 Vax 126
New Zealand Cases 832 Deaths 5 Vax 100

I suspect our current rate of vaccination will close the gap with
those countries fairly quickly.

The other statistic that would be interesting would be number of days
of "Lockdown" with some estimate of level of restriction for each
country.

Certanly Sweden was the inspiration behind the "Plan B" proposers here
in New Zealand some time ago - from memory the epidemiologists from
BusinessNZ or the NZ Initiative; but it may have just been from
Business Leaders . . .

If you didn't have the country names, which set of statistics above
would you prefer to live in?
Mutlley
2021-09-25 21:01:17 UTC
Post by Mutlley
[...]
Here are the graphs for Sweden since day 1. You will see that they
have very little Covid now after following a minimal lockdowns and
generating herd immunity compared to January 2021

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/#graph-cases-daily
Rich80105
2021-09-25 21:47:27 UTC
Post by Mutlley
Post by Rich80105
Post by Mutlley
[...]
Indeed there experience has been much improved - from that website
figures for a recent five days (Sept 23, 22, 21, 17, 16) were: Cases
769, 738, 890, 827, 1001 Deaths 4, 2, 1,8, 3. (There is presumably a
weekend in those figures). If they do indeed have "Herd immunity" it
does appear to reduce the numbers, but apparently not eliminate them.
Apparently Delata Covid is a particularly nasty disease, with deaths
being painful and expensive in terms of hospital time. Again using
that table, Sweden has just over twice our population. Would around
20,280 cases and 9 deaths in a recent week be what New Zealanders
would call "very little Covid"? From the website we have had 4,162
cases and 27 deaths in total since Covid hit our shores.
John Bowes
Our turn at those sort of figures is soon to come Rich. I look forward to laughing at your spin on that when it happens!
James Christophers
2021-09-23 05:09:57 UTC
Anyone getting confused by term % of country vaccinated?
We vaccinate people, not countries.
Hendy in his modelling has assumed the possible folks who can receive a
vacination is 5 years old to death. Where the heck did this 5+ come from?
The 90% vaccinate rate is 90% of what?
Of those who qualify for vaccination, their having been officially informed either directly or by having enquired etc.

No worries, then.

(snip)
John Bowes
About as much sense as your post demanding respect Keith. Senility has certainly set in in you :)
Firu
2021-09-23 11:03:40 UTC
Anyone getting confused by term % of country vaccinated?
We vaccinate people, not countries.
We also vaccinate computers, donkeys, sheep, cows, cats, and dogs. But
you guessed right, in this case it's people.
Post by Gordon
Hendy in his modelling has assumed the possible folks who can receive a
vacination is 5 years old to death. Where the heck did this 5+ come from?
Before you can model anything you have to define the set size. Five plus
is likely to be the age range where it is safe and/or effective to
vaccinate.
Post by Gordon
The 90% vaccinate rate is 90% of what?
A) All the people in this country approx 5 million,
B) Everyone 12 years old or older
C) Everyone 5 years or older
Errrm, you answered your own question somewhere up there ^
Post by Gordon
"Covid-19 NZ: Modelling suggests 7000 deaths in a year even with 75 per
cent of country jabbed" A headline from Stuff.
In March 2020 Stuff reported 'Modelling suggests up to 14,000 deaths if
NZ control efforts fail.' Was the model shit or did the control efforts
work.

The 7000 deaths a year number was also equally qualified but this wasn't
reflected in the headline.
Post by Gordon
People are going to say that target is 90% vaccination, which is well and
good as long as we all understand what it means. This means being clear
until the level of understanding is reached.
I'm people and I say make the target as many as we can get. And I'm
clear on that.